AD244 alternator upgrade mod with pictures

Daryl H

Donating Member
All usual disclaimers apply.

The driver's side sleeve needed to be cut down for alternator hold down bracket as the new alternator fills more of the area.

The rear bolt is not used.

The passenger bolt hole needs to be elongated at the 10:00 position (facing aft).
This mount bolt distance is greater than the OEM size. Make sure the alternator does not rest on the engine accessories bracket.
The new bolt with a M8 nylon lock nut and washers goes on this side.

The purple wire on the new connector goes to the 470 ohm resistor and then to the original pink wire on the old alternator connector.
The other wire on the connector is not needed.

If you are using the full potential of the alternator than you must upgrade the output wire.

Attachments

• photo10096.png
    photo10096.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 25
  • photo10097.png
    photo10097.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 23
  • photo10098.jpg
    photo10098.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 23

Daryl H

Donating Member
I forgot to ask/check if the stock pulley and the AD244 were the same size.

I don't think the serpentine belt requires replacement but I no longer have an OEM alternator to check.
Thanks!

Static

Didn't change my belt. I think the new pulley is smaller than the stock, but the body is bigger. The smaller pulley allows it to make more amps at lower RPM

The Big Guy

Question on this: you are elongating the bolt hole on the bracket, right (as opposed to the alternator itself)? Would that prevent the stock unit from being reinstalled? Thanks in advance!

Static

Question on this: you are elongating the bolt hole on the bracket, right (as opposed to the alternator itself)? Would that prevent the stock unit from being reinstalled? Thanks in advance!

On mine I used a smaller diameter bolt that was a bit longer so I could add a lock nut and not have to elongate the hole. That way I could install the stock alt back in a pinch.