Air to Air Intercooler How-To

spooldup

Re: Air to Air Intercooler How-To

getboosted said:
Is there any way of doing it without pulling out the A/C? I'd like to keep the A/C! Thanks!

Yes there are plenty of ways to keep the a/c.

jimhrabe

Donating Member

So I'm thinkin this is gonna be next winters project that total price was that everything including the spal fan for the trans cooler?

Flyin Ryan

hated cuz he drives fords

scrapn'clone said:
So I'm thinkin this is gonna be next winters project that total price was that everything including the spal fan for the trans cooler?

I had a few dollars short of $300 invested into mine.. but I got the core at a steel for $120 because someone f'd up :)

epix

Typhoon

scrapin, i had spal fans leftover from my lower cche, price doesn't include the tranny cooler but its a nice addition even if you don't run a/a

epix

Typhoon

if the pics ain't working in the 1st post, click on the link in my sig, sometimes my webhost gets flakey

socalblue

Are there any A2A setups that will mount where the stock intercooler location is?
Anyone have any pics?

Flyin Ryan

socalblue said:
Are there any A2A setups that will mount where the stock intercooler location is?
Anyone have any pics?

there was mccoy's, kenne bell's, which from time to time you can find used in the forsale section but the only one being produced right now to my knowledge for the stock location is the rpm unit which is here

Vaders Sy

Donating Member

To keep the A/C, what core size would work? I really wouldn't like to cut the core support either. Any way around this for those who have done it?

Flyin Ryan

Vaders Sy said:
To keep the A/C, what core size would work? I really wouldn't like to cut the core support either. Any way around this for those who have done it?

I don't remember the measurements.. go measure what you have behind the grill and infront of the core support to work with.. you can also pull the grill out just a little if need be.. but I ditched the ac so I can't help plus I cut holes into the core support to minimize the amount of piping needed to help minimize any possibility of lag.

actually if I remember right E's front mount setup doesn't require much moding of the core suport and I think is ac friendly but don't qoute me on that.. take a look at his site and see it's www.turbotime.us

Vaders Sy

Donating Member

Boostedpimp said:
I don't remember the measurements.. go measure what you have behind the grill and infront of the core support to work with.. you can also pull the grill out just a little if need be.. but I ditched the ac so I can't help plus I cut holes into the core support to minimize the amount of piping needed to help minimize any possibility of lag.

actually if I remember right E's front mount setup doesn't require much moding of the core suport and I think is ac friendly but don't qoute me on that.. take a look at his site and see it's www.turbotime.us

He's not doing it anymore until he can do them in house.

socalblue

I just hate to chop up the ty any other ideas/suggestions for mounting front mount location with mimimal chopping?

Otherwise I might have to stick to the RPM low mount stock location but it seems so prone to damage down there :(

Flyin Ryan

socalblue said:
I just hate to chop up the ty any other ideas/suggestions for mounting front mount location with mimimal chopping?

Otherwise I might have to stick to the RPM low mount stock location but it seems so prone to damage down there :(

I have a 3" core ic in front of my radiator.. fit perfectly in place of where the ac condenser used to be. Only problem with that is you'll have to cut the core support somewhere somehow to allow the piping thru I believe. Here's a pic

spooldup

You guys need to connect your pipes behind the front bumper. This is how mine is setup. I didn't have to cut any holes for pipes. The only thing i had to cut was the core support brace in the middle. Here maybe these pics will help come up with other idea's.

upper_ic_rear.jpg

upper_ic_front.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

cas_dual_air_to_air.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010007s.jpg

Last edited:

nello

Does anyone know what the IA temp drops look like when compared to stock water intercoolers v.s A2A intercoolers? With the stock system I'm seeing about 128.5 *F by the time I reach 60mph.

spooldup

There is no real answer to that. It will be different for everyone depending on your setup, size of turbo etc....

epix

Typhoon

I have noticed that nearly all of these Intercooler sellers are in the Los Angeles area.. not sure what the point of having different accounts are but there is a good chance they are all importing from the same place and reselling the same products

It's just a six

Looks nice! :tup: :tup:
I am wondering if your engine coolant temps changed after you installed that intercooler?
Like maybe a little hotter?

Thanks.
epix said:
DIY FMIC Parts

I've recieved quite a few requests for the parts needed to make your own A/A FMIC so I put
together this little list of items I used.

First off, doing the setup I did required me to remove the AC, trim the radiator support a bit,
and install an electric fan.

The core is Sized 24"X12"X3" with an overall Size 31"x12"x3"using 3" Inlet & Outlet, cost to me shipped was 128.98 from Just-Intercoolers on ebay. It came with mounting brackets as well.
justiccore.jpg

Piping is 3.0" Polished Alumuinum , I bought the kit on ebay for $146.99 shipped from the seller Just-Intercoolers, the kit came with pipe and choice of silicone it came with standard clamps but I replaced them with much better T-Bolt style clamps.
justicpipe.jpg

Pipe: total 8 pieces
1x 75 3.0"
1x U Bend 3.0"
3x 90 3.0"
3x Straight 3.0"
1x U Bend 3.0"

I remember having leftover pipe, next time I look at my engine I'll note what actual pipes I used.

I bought the T-Bolt Clamps and certain hoses from www.siliconeintakes.com and needed the following:

17x 3.0" @ $2.60 each
1x 4.0"
1x 2.0"
Cost of clamps = $49.40

Silicone Hoses needed:
1x Silicone Reducer, 3.0" to 2.0" - $12.99
1x Silicone Reducer, 4.0" to 3.0" - $12.99
3x 3.0" Silicone 90° Elbow - $50.97
Total Cost of Silicone Hoses: 76.95

Electric Fan: Perma-Cool 16" 2950CFM - $115.99 at Summitracing.com

Completed Look:
PICT0013-1.jpg

PICT0009-1.jpg

Total Cost: $518.31 - of course your cost might be a little different on how you do it.

tufzr2000

i was wondering what kind of gains you got as in hp and track wise from going air to air and if you could throw up some pics on your cold air the way you routed that :lol: