clamps

scotts4

ADDICTED
largeimage.asp

does anyone know if they make t bolt clamps that are oval that will fit our throttle body or can i get a bigger round clamp and make it oval ? and does anyone know what size the hose is round ?

Last edited:

VermontTy

Support Our Troops
Re: clamps

The oval on the throttle body is 4". A clamp for 4" pipe should do the trick nicely.

SY2932

Administrator

You can't put a round T-bolt clamp on an oval shaped throttlebody, tried it myself a few years ago and had a BIG TIME boost leak. The biggest problem centered around the metal clamp that sits under the clamp on the "T" side of the bolt. You can see that it is actually a steel "plate" that is circular in shape. The rest of the clamp could conform to the oval shape of the TB but that couldn't. It made a really cool LOUD whistling noise everytime I got above 10 psi... Tried to reposition it several times to seal up with no joy :(. I believe that there are oval shaped T-bolt clamps out there somewhere manufactured by someone.

SY2932

Administrator

Dug up from the "parts bought for the syclone that weren't used" archives:
IMG_0883.sized.jpg

That is Summit's 4" T-bolt clamp part number SME-240400. As you can see the metal "plate" that is under the "T" side of the bolt on the 4" clamp is VERY beefy. This one is still in the package because my bud had made mention of switching over to these eventually. I was driving to Summit and picked up a pair for him and myself. I gave him the pair that I tried to try out to see if he could have better luck. I was going to return the unopened pair but, held on to them for "unforseen future projects".

Give it a try, the worst thing that will happen is that it won't work. Perhaps you'll have better luck than I did...

Last edited:

scotts4

ADDICTED

i see what you mean i have to look into see if any one makes a oval one. what about tring to flaten out the metal alittle ?

Try Me

I went to a local trucking supply store and bought a couple of the spring-loaded type tbolt clamps and used them. you cant make it too tight and i never had another problem blowing any charge pipes.

SY2932

Administrator

scotts4 said:
i see what you mean i have to look into see if any one makes a oval one. what about tring to flaten out the metal alittle ?

Grind down the sides to make it more easier to form. Hmm, you might be onto something there ;) ... I never had a problem with boost leaks with the stock "hose clamps" so, I didn't pursue it further. Opted for the "if it's not broken, don't fix it" school of thought.

Keep us posted :cool: !

Last edited:

scotts4

ADDICTED

thats what i did i got them from the local truck place and paid 1/2 the price of summit but i did not get any for the throttle body i should have picked them up to see if i could get them to work

Try Me

I got a large spring loaded clamp (i think its 4 inch) from that trucking store for the throttle body at the same time as the other clamps. It has never come off and will go as tight as you need with no problem conforming to the throttle body inlet...

Loeryder

I use the 4.2" T-Bolt clamps on my TB.
Just gotta rotate it until the curve of the metal plate under the bolt matches the curve of your TB.
This will put the bolts at an angle but if you point them to the back it doens;t look bad at all.

No boost leaks for me, and no mo' blowing the TB hose off either.

SY2932

Administrator

Loeryder said:
Just gotta rotate it until the curve of the metal plate under the bolt matches the curve of your TB.
This will put the bolts at an angle but if you point them to the back it doens;t look bad at all.

That is the first thing I tried when I saw how thick that plate was. Because I knew the bolt would prolly cut loose before I could crank it down tight enough to flatten the plate... Didn't matter, leaked anyways :(.

scotts4

ADDICTED

well i put them on today as a test fit and they work no problem i am getting a bbk 58mm throttlebody tommarow and will clean it up and make it look nice

index.php

Attachments

• clamps.JPG
    clamps.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: