Cowl Hoods

wantingasy

I've been looking into getting a cowl induction hood and I've seen like two types that are either 2 1/2 or 3 in. hoods. One hood looks like it keeps inclining the whole way and the other seems to get flat on the top. This sy on ebay ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991...ryZ31838QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ) has the type of hood I like, but I don't know the company or anything. I think the one that flattens out is the goodmark hood, not sure though. Any help finding out which is which?

gjp

another post whore
Re: Cowl Hoods

Here is the goodmark hood. awating paint and install in my garage. LMK if you want to see a pic from a different angle. IMO its built well.
Picture198.jpg

Ty0279

Historically Significant

gjp said:
Here is the goodmark hood. awating paint and install in my garage. LMK if you want to see a pic from a different angle. IMO its built well.

Mmm, looks just like the Goodmark cowl hood in my garage that is awaiting paint and install. Only difference is it's been waiting for over 2 years now. :lol:

gjp

another post whore

so Yours has a bit more dust on it.LOL Mine has been sitting for a whole 2 days. Paint going on next weekend.

wantingasy

gjp said:
Picture198.jpg
Maybe a side view would help, but it does look like it flattens out on the top:: I.E- Going from the grille to the window it inclines (cowl) then gets flat towards the windshield. But the syclone on ebay that I linked, it looks like it keeps inclining all the way towards the windshield?

myclone

Donating Member

Ive got a goodmark and its the flat one (see sig). The cowl hood that is at an angle is a fiberglass piece (dunno who makes it) and there are prolly a dozen or so ppl on here that have one. Id try a search on " fiberglass hood" and see what came up.

gkrcr882

SyTyless......for now!

IMO the flattened cowl looks best on these trucks...seems to go with the boxy look and follows the bodyline. The angled one just doesn't look right:2cents:

wantingasy

Man that's a nice hood...lol....I like the goodmark hoods on a syclone, but on a TY I think the fiberglass one looks best. Maybe the bed of the truck goes with the hood on the SY. www.advantagefiberglass.net looks to have a nice 3" hood for our trucks for a good price. What do you guys think?

gjp

another post whore

Cant wait till its painted. There were a few guys at toms with them. The heat that comes out of them is what sold me on one.

Ty0279

Historically Significant

wantingasy

That one would be nice too, but unfortunately I'm not in alta loma i'm in arcata right now for school so it's really like 600-700 miles from me....lol.... I don't know why, but I like the higher cowls. I was considering a 4" but my dad talked me out of it because it is my daily driver so I'm thinking a 3" is perfect. Only another 3/4 of and inch bigger then what almost everybody has. I was a bit worried of fiberglass over our engines too but taking in consideration the amount of heat that will be sucked out by the cowl, it should be fine....and save weight :D

jbone

Id stick with the steel hood. I dont know from experience but have heard horror stories of fiberglass hoods warping.....and thats on cars that dont put out nearly as much heat as a sy or ty. JMO