El Mirage SCTA

Don W.

Stab it and steer it
Giving some thought (IE bucket list item) to taking the truck to El Mirage. Anyone ever do this?

Thoughts?

JSM

Re: El Mirage SCTA

Thought about it, would be very cool to do and if you do lots of pics and updates please.

Don W.

Stab it and steer it

I gotta do more research on the rules. It might be to expensive. Would love to do it though.

green73

Donating Member

I live less than 1hr from the lakebed. Took the Typhoon out there for the '12 season opener (not to run it though). DUSTY as hell!!!! If you are thinking about doing a run, definitely get a rule book. I would just go out and watch the guys run a few times. Walk around, and talk to the teams and drivers. It is a great atmosphere, everyone I have talked to out there was great with advice, etc... I don't plan on ever running the Ty out there, but it is fun to learn things. There are no "pits" it's all open, so access is easy. It would be neat to sea a purpose built Sy/Ty out there, like the old Banks GMC. On the aero side I wonder which one would have the best potential? I don't think this would be something you would want to do all by your lonesome though. Building a crew would/could bring the best results IMHO. I take it you have been on the SCTA web site to start research.

Don W.

Stab it and steer it

Yup, I have the newb booklet. Rule book is next. I've heard that there a couple of their techs in the bay area. Sort of a pre-inspection if-you-will. I can't make the opener but maybe the June meet. Have to see if I can borrow a trailer. Don't want to walk home.

I've been to the salt flats, very interesting. Hot Rod did a write up in the lake as well. I've seen pictures of the dust but if I'm gonna run then rather that then salt on/in the truck.

What intrigues me is I've pegged the spedo and it kept pulling for a while after that before I lifted so I'm thinking/hoping low 140's.:roll: 130 somethin' is prolly more like it.

If I decide to go I'll post so maybe you and couple other SoCal folks could come by.