Important NATS '08 Information

Ian Turgeon

Cascading Inspiration
Re: Important NATS '08 Information

Captain Morgan said:
just to play devil's advocate here, everyone is away that the Homecoming and SE Shindig were never meant to replace or steal away people from Nats, but the plain and simple fact is, they did (or will do).

'06, the Northeast had a nice caravan of trucks, even larger than the caravan to the 2002 Nats in Chicago, it was really a great thing to see and have happen.

Fast forward to '07 Nats, the caravan consisted of me in my Toyota Celica..... yippie!! :roll:

Im not gonna name any names, but I had close to a HALF DOZEN people tell me either in person, over the phone or on AIM that they wouldnt be making Nats in '07 because they went to Homecoming. Its not that they didnt want to go to Nats, but doing two events in a year a one too many for some people, and when a show is closer, thus making it cheaper and easier to get to, guess which one loses.

Just my :2cents: on this topic

I agree with this, although its not intended, its a known side effect. I can say I support the Shindig anyway because 1: although I hate to say it, the fact is the Nats have been dwindling. 2: We have a ton of locals that will come, 3: We wanted to shake things up a bit. 4: I don't know if I'll ever drive to the Nats if its in KS.

I think Nats every year is a major undertaking and a little monotonous. At the speed of the syty community, theres only so many new things that can be done in a year. Every other year sounds more logical to me, but theres a hole left wide open in the off years. I think the regionals fill that hole. I'd like to see a bi-yearly nats/regional alternating event pattern.

The SE Shinding and Homecoming (where's the west coast event?) have/will show proof of the demand for localized meets.

JSM

I am leaning towards a rotating nats every other year, regionals on the other years.

As far as location I am liking idea of nats moving around somewhat between maybe 3 locations around the central area.

bdubb

I am teh kingpin!

another thing, do you guys need a dedicated track, or just a "lane" per say... not that many people race and it would be the day the track more fun if there was others to watch.

NOJIMMY

Captain Morgan said:
just to play devil's advocate here, everyone is away that the Homecoming and SE Shindig were never meant to replace or steal away people from Nats, but the plain and simple fact is, they did (or will do).

'06, the Northeast had a nice caravan of trucks, even larger than the caravan to the 2002 Nats in Chicago, it was really a great thing to see and have happen.

Fast forward to '07 Nats, the caravan consisted of me in my Toyota Celica..... yippie!!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Im not gonna name any names, but I had close to a HALF DOZEN people tell me either in person, over the phone or on AIM that they wouldnt be making Nats in '07 because they went to Homecoming. Its not that they didnt want to go to Nats, but doing two events in a year a one too many for some people, and when a show is closer, thus making it cheaper and easier to get to, guess which one loses.

Just my
2cents.gif
on this topic

I realize this is all speculation on my part (no flames please), but I have another theory.

1. I don't think the Homecoming "stole" attendance from the Nat's, as there have been
many years that the Nat's were the only game in town....and each year after 2001
attendance has been declining. I view the Homecoming as filling a void the Nat's
didnt choose to address.

2. The Nat's wasnt bound to KC so if they had wanted to organize the event in
MI or the midwest, they could have (but I certainly understand the argument for
selecting a geographical center of the US for a meeting place.

3. The Homecoming had a slight advantage in that it was new and didnt have
to live up to any previous hype, nor overcome polarization from past experiences
(such as Mrsyclone vs Bully Sy racing/track history).

4. The Homecoming advertised (and for the most part) itself as a family event,
where one could bring wifes, kids, and older parents. And indeed I heard many
say that everyone was low key, non-confrontive, polite, and fun. Sometime
the Nat's has a history (not saying its so, but...) of defacing hotel items or excessive
drinking or such.

5. And lastly, not only did the Homecoming committee address hotel, food,
drag racing, parking, and all the things Nat's also provide, they went a step beyond
and invited GM with their proto-type vehicles, had a great band, provided an
excellent raffle, and encouraged uncompleted vehicles (or owners of vehicles
that are rarely ever seen) to attend.

So Im only suggesting that the "bang-for-the-buck" might have been tilted toward
Homecoming (with the added/different emphasis) by addressing change
(which the audience members rewarded by showing up). I know several
people (like myself) who traveled further to attend the Homecoming event
because of the above. I think every organizing committee must 'adjust" to
new ideas that members might desire...and Im not putting the Nat's down
as its supporters like consistency and predictability, but to some it has become stale.

I also think there is room for both, if the right attention to detail is given
(cost, security, quality of vehicles, vendor support, media attention, communication,
non-confrontational attitudes, and travel assistance for hotel, meals, & racing is considered).

...but Im not ignoring previous points made either, as it brings up some good points.
-Larry

UR50SLO

V6+2=LSXCamaro

Excellent Ideas by all.... I like the rotating Nats.... Seeing a different track every year or other year.
I did REALY like the Homecoming event... (even with out the cheeze ;) ) It realy was a great turn out and alot of fun!
If there's Two smaller evenets this year such as "Homecoming" and one a little further south as has been talked about we'd go to both. Realy just like to get together with everyone and have a good time!
~Scott and Family!
Chrisathomecoming1.JPG

warmpancakes

good god people its just cheese better be there this year all im serving is cheese, grilled cheese, cheese soup, fondu, cheese toss, running with cheese, and the ever popular cheese dunk Tank This years theme is "yes we have cheese"

JSM

warmpancakes said:
good god people its just cheese better be there this year all im serving is cheese, grilled cheese, cheese soup, fondu, cheese toss, running with cheese, and the ever popular cheese dunk Tank This years theme is "yes we have cheese"

So as well as the hosts the event will be Cheesy?

turbodig

warmpancakes said:

I make great beer cheese soup. And, I'll likely have to drive through Wisconsin....

sy2675

He Saved the Pimp'n Game!

I would have made it to both events this year as i did last year if Robert would have been at nats. With out him and his truck i would have past on Nats this year. I know i dont speak for everyone, but some of us dont trust our trucks to drive them very far from home. Those that have low mileage trucks or custom paint jobs are more likey to not bring or drive their trucks, even tho these are some of the trucks we want to see the most. Trailoring our trucks gets expensive too. Im lucky enough to be able to borrow a new truck to pull with form work, but if that wasnt the case my truck probably wouldnt have made it to the gatherings last year. Renting a trailor isnt cheap either. Costs are an issue, not so much the cost of the event itself, but travel cost have to be figured in for most of us.

I enjoyed the atmosphere at Homecoming better than Nats last year, not that Nats was bad. MrSyclone vs Bully made for a tension filled Nats the year before (for reasons we all know about). Fun to watch the racing, but seemed to be a bunch of smaller groups in the same spot, where as at homecoming it was one group.

Props to Renz :tup: :tup: i think his attitude cant hurt with CHANGING things up. He isnt afraid to speak his mind, and seems to get along with everyone. I dont know what i can do to help out, but if i can i am willing to help.

To be honest im a little relieved there is no Nats this year. Now i can plan a trip somewhere else. Amsterdam sounds good! :lol:

I think ignoring the cruising aspect is something that needs to be addressed. I mean Nats is in a Very large city, Homecoming near Detriot/Toledo. The attention these trucks get when we are rollin solo is sometimes amazing, imagine the scene when we roll 50 deep. I enjoy cruising, i know these towns have to have hot spots for these activites at night, going out to find them alone might not be a good idea but showing up in numbers and OWNING the local spots would be cool too. hell it might even help fund the event if we can win some $$ at night (not that we would engage in such activities).

Not to call anyone out here, but sometimes people say things that effect others, with a young crowd (as renz brought up) comes differnt cultures. Alienating RICERS or things like that will impact this younger crowd, they/we like our rice burners too, Many of us have Hondas or Subies or whatever that we enjoy racing/tuning/pimpn. when you guys start knocking them you are knocking us.

Long post, sorry about that. See you guys at Homecoming and NATS 09

Rich

MikeRenz

not stock

sy2675 said:
Props to Renz :tup: :tup: i think his attitude cant hurt with CHANGING things up. He isnt afraid to speak his mind, and seems to get along with everyone. I dont know what i can do to help out, but if i can i am willing to help.

well thats why i was anxious to help out. I never hated being the center of attention, even at my own expense. :lol: But i think among everyone we can really turn NATS around back into the event that everyone wants to make a point to make it to once, if not every time.

I have plenty of ideas, and this thread (and the others) continue to point out more things to try to incorporate into the event. I'm at 4 pages of brainstorming/outlining of what/who i am going to try to get involved in NATS, and am still adding to it constantly. Most of which i'll share with everyone, some of the things will be surprise/need to know basis...just to help keep the hype. The committee will be privvy to all knowledge....and it is my goal to keep EVERYONE aware of all of the important details. I know this seems like a no-brainer...but in the shuffle of planning you can easily overlook your audience and forget to include them. I know this was an issue i personally had a couple years ago - that i felt like i didn't know what was going on prior to actually being at the event. Well this will be different from here on out...and the website will have lots of helpful and up to date information on it. The website is dead right now, but i'll be trynig to revamp that shortly.

Please, everyone keep the feedback coming. Positive, negative, or indifferent, your comments can help make the event a better one. And note that your thoughts ARE being discussed and decided upon...not just overlooked. No one is pretending, or would ever want to, that they know the best for everyone and assume that they could just run the show themselves.

warmpancakes

Mike if needed I can come to Nats for photos and autographs to help increase attendance

MikeRenz

not stock

I'll put your autograph booth right next to the Bdubb kissing booth. I wonder which will be more popular.

ViciousV6

400HP/550FTLB

Well I got no problem hosting shindig or such @ my house! I have a Dyno AWD access within 5 mins to my house, 2 race tracks within 1 hour from my house, and plenty of hotel & motels locally to house people.

In my Northeast Post I am throwing a big party at my house, With "LIVE" Band, DJ Music and my GF Cooking all the food. Last year we had almost 90 people from TBSS, LS1, and some local boards and only 3 or 4 SyTy guys showed up.

This party has a poll posted to select the date of the event. I would like it to be on a Sunday due to the band has events booked on Fri and Sat nights.

We even have a few very large parks in the area, i could contact about having a large outing and barbeque.

Ralph
ViciousV6

Lynn D. Brown

Not sure what everyone has against the KC location. Even that's a stretch for everyone west of there. I think it's going to be hard to beat that back parking lot @ the Doubletree, and prices are pretty reasonable there. We've tried other locations in the past and always end up back there. If we are going to keep it "Nationals", I'm not crazy about going further east.

I know I haven't posted for awhile, because my Ty has been in various shops for 3-4 years. I was looking forward to '08, because I might be ready. But I guess it will be '09 now, but I sure hope the Nats don't die. Any help U need from me, just let me know.

Just an FYI. If you decide to continue the nats here in KC, the track (KCIR) is under new management and they have sunk a ton of money into the facility. Everything from the logistics of how the races run to revitalized facilities have come about with the new owners.

Loeryder

PN is right!
I attended the TBSS Nats held at Doubletree and KCIR this year and while I didn;t notice much change around the track the organizers said the cost had increased significantly as well.

They were interested in working out a joint private rental to help reduce costs, but sharing hte hotel and the track might be "iffy".
They didn't seem to use the parking lot for much other than parking their trucks
but there were guys racing that made 30 something passes at the track!

DanenGraham

Big in the rear

Just so you know KCIR is still having the SYTY Nats

Sat, September 06 SyTy Nationals

Thats what the web site says. Look on the calender

They fixed the launch pads, have new auto timing trees, smoothed out the return roads, have new lighted score boards, paved the spectator parking, replaced ALL of the pit side bleachers with new aluminum ones, poured asphalt under the bleechers and up to the fence, fixed all problems with the bathrooms and repainted them, added johnny on the spots throughout the area so you don't have to walk all the way to the central bathrooms if you don't feel like it, enhanced the sound and PA system so it is easy to hear them call the groups to the lanes, have implemented special sound bytes to signify which classes are being called to the lanes.

Tacovendor

I don't know if this would help find people/trucks, but I thought I would try and help. The is a website called www.frappr.com and if somebody way smarter than me can figure out how to get it on this site, we could try to find all the trucks. Maybe it will help maybe not just an idea. As for me I would love to go to nats but I have a hard time trying to justify that drive, thats just me. I didn't go to homecoming because it was over my wedding aniversery, I know should of brought here there. Any way Hope to see were it's at next year.

MikeRenz

not stock

Tacovendor said:
I don't know if this would help find people/trucks, but I thought I would try and help. The is a website called www.frappr.com and if somebody way smarter than me can figure out how to get it on this site, we could try to find all the trucks. Maybe it will help maybe not just an idea. As for me I would love to go to nats but I have a hard time trying to justify that drive, thats just me. I didn't go to homecoming because it was over my wedding aniversery, I know should of brought here there. Any way Hope to see were it's at next year.
http://www.frappr.com/sytynation/map

:tup: