Lighting wiring

Slyclone

Trying to wire the gauges to 12v IGN on power source.

I've had this setup before but have had everything apart and working back on it again. Anyone know what terminal I want to insert the wires into to get dimmable dashboard lights..IMG_20200705_133125.jpg

DaveP's Ghost

Dimmable dash lights:
At the top of your pic, there are empty cavities in the columns. Use the cavity just above the legend "LPS". Just below the existing green w/ grey wire connections. LPS is shorthand for Lamps; this is the dimmer circuit.

For switched power for the gauges, use the column IGN. Hot in RUN or START.

Slyclone

Thank you for the response. Again it's been a while.. I made the inline fuse holder to protect the one gauge, it reccomended a 3amp fuse. I was actually trying to locate the smaller little fuses to make things a little bit more compact and tidy.

Any of those cavities need fuses like I already put in line?

DaveP's Ghost

No additional fuse needed. The taps are protected by the fuse below them. BATT = HRN/DME, IGN = IGN/GAGS, ACCY = RADIO, LPS = INST LPS, CLOCK = TAIL, PWR = PWR (breaker), and WDOWS = WDOWS (breaker).

Wire size is selected as a function of fuse capacity. The fuse protects the wire, not the load. A gauge only draws a couple hundred miliamps. But the IGN/GAGS fuse is 15 amps. So you should have a wire that if it shorts to ground can safely carry 15 amps to blow the fuse without damaging the wire. Personally, I use mostly 16ga for under-dash wiring, gauges, alarm systems, etc. 16ga is safe for up to 15A fuses, and will be Ok with 20A fuse if the run isn't more than a few feet. 14ga is better with a 20A fuse.

IdellSeitz

Hi...the lights are wired in equal in this way, on the off chance that I simply wire the LED up to the two switches, it will join the circuits and all the lights will come on, whichever switch I use...

I have had a go at setting it up with a 240v hand-off, which worked with basic ON/OFF switches, yet doesn't appear to work with the LED dimmer switches that I am utilizing.

https://www.7pcb.com/

Last edited:

DaveP's Ghost

Hi...the lights are wired in equal in this way, on the off chance that I simply wire the LED up to the two switches, it will join the circuits and all the lights will come on, whichever switch I use...

I have had a go at setting it up with a 240v hand-off, which worked with basic ON/OFF switches, yet doesn't appear to work with the LED dimmer switches that I am utilizing
What the Fuck???

I think it's another spambot. This is its first post. But I don't get it responding to an existing thread with nonsense Limey-talk about house wiring. 240 volts at that. Not even a North American bot.

Keith: Fix this fucking place.