New from Kentucky Syclone # ????

D. Sea

A429
Syclone # ????

Quick intro and hopefully not a wall of text (However I believe it will be).

Long time Drag racer and car enthusiast. Race a Big Block Ford powered 83 Mustang. Been lurking here to try and get some information for my next project.

As far as Syclone # ???? Here’s where I need some help. Here’s the story…

Myth, Legend or whatever you want to call it:
This Syclone was supposedly wrecked in the early 90’s and was then purchased as a slavage and put back together with an S-10 cab and bed by Mr. Armstrong who was the instructor at the local Automotive Technical School in Harrodsburg Kentucky. It was titled as an 85 S-10 but looked just like a GMC Sonoma. Has the Syclone dash etc inside. Ended up belonging to Mr. Armstrongs son. The only thing that gave it away was the Syclone wheels IF one actually knew what they were.

Syclone was Black with Blue Scallops and no Syclone ground effects, but still had the Syclone wheels. Was a real sleeper in it’s time and shocked many street cars when my friend Mike traded for the truck. Mike painted the truck solid black and polished the wheels and at that time it was running 12.90s but when we finished tuning on the truck it was running mid 12s however it started smoking BAD!!!! Sent the turbo off for evaluation and something got into the turbo and created a large groove in the housing (At least that’s what I was told). So he lost interest and parked it at my house. This would be around 1996 or 1997?

A few years later I moved it out behind my shop and it’s sat in the same place ever since. It’s been tapped a few times with a tractor or bobcat and is looking pretty rough. Several have tried to purchase the truck but he wouldn’t let it go. So it sat behind my shop for the last 17+ years along with dads old pulling trucks and other scrap cars/trucks.

I guess he was tired of paying taxes so he turned the title into the courthouse and scrapped it sometime a few years ago. I recently asked him about the truck and he says that I can have it and do what I want. The odometer reads 34,989 miles.

So now my new project is to try and resurrect Syclone # ???? I’ve been doing some research via this site and found that the block number is on the back under the drivers side head. I’m not pulling the engine just to find the number. Is there another location? I’d like to find out what number this is and if I can get a new title with the original Syclone VIN. Is there a VIN on the frame?

Will have to get a new turbo and most likely replace a lot of vacuum hoses etc… I still have the original turbo, manifold, garret intercooler and all the stuff that was on the truck.

Thanks and I’ll be asking lots of stupid questions in the near future.

SYO237

SyTy Registry
Re: New from Kentucky Syclone # ????

Welcome.

There is a VIN on the frame. Pulling the bed off will make your life easier to find it, but it typically is on top of the frame somewhere around where the fuel filter is.

D. Sea

A429

Welcome.

There is a VIN on the frame. Pulling the bed off will make your life easier to find it, but it typically is on top of the frame somewhere around where the fuel filter is.

Outstanding!!!! Thank you good sir!
We had the bed off when we changed fuel pumps. However that was a LONG time ago :rotf:

I tried to drag it into the shop yesterday but the ground was too wet. As soon as I get it into the shop then I'll pull the bed.

Thanks

D. Sea

A429

Will do. Unfortunately my work laptop has my photobucket account blocked :rant:
So I'll have to do it from my iphone :squint:

D. Sea

A429

Would be in recent uploads and I haven't figured out to move them to a dedicated album via iphone yet. Stupid iphone!

Most of my albums are drag racing related.

Slyclone

I see some pics!! Syclone with some dings. Needs some TLC

Nice M4 as well. I was just looking at one.

D. Sea

A429

Yes it needs a LOT of TLC!

Created a new Syclone Album. Should be uploading now... I hope

D. Sea

A429

Thank you my good sir.

Need to scrub all the crud and start taking it apart. If it can't be saved, then I'll just part it out however I'd really like to put it back on the street.

D. Sea

A429

Update: had some family issues to deal with regarding property etc... Finally have it all secured so I'm planning on getting back on this project.

Don't really care about being "Original" etc... Just a fun street toy so I'm leaning towards a SBC or LS swap. Been reading up on some of the swaps in the appropriate section.

If all goes as planned, I hope to start taking everything apart within the next few weeks.

Syclone0565

CustomMulticades.com

If your ever over in Louisville give me a shout. I have 3 Syclones.
Will
502-494-6619

D. Sea

A429

If your ever over in Louisville give me a shout. I have 3 Syclones.
Will
502-494-6619

Will,

Thanks, may be up that way sometime at the Valley. Plan on racing at I64 Motorplex this year but could still go to the Valley...

I've been reading up on the swaps... Didn't you do a LS swap? May pick your brain...

Syclone0565

CustomMulticades.com

Will,

Thanks, may be up that way sometime at the Valley. Plan on racing at I64 Motorplex this year but could still go to the Valley...

I've been reading up on the swaps... Didn't you do a LS swap? May pick your brain...

I would be up for going to another track around here. I got kicked out of the Valley and have to go to Bowling Green now :)

Yes I actually did the very first LS AWD swap in a Syclone years ago. I have a few Syclones and one is a Twin Turbo V8.

Will

D. Sea

A429

I would be up for going to another track around here. I got kicked out of the Valley and have to go to Bowling Green now :)

Yes I actually did the very first LS AWD swap in a Syclone years ago. I have a few Syclones and one is a Twin Turbo V8.

Will

I need to see your twin turbo V8 Syclone please :tup:

I'm in Lawrenceburg and we usually race at MP Dragway. I really like BG and used to race there every year at the NMRA world finals but we haven't been to the last few. Got tired of paying the NHRA for License that I would only need once a year...

We may need to visit Louisville again just so I can see your Syclone and get some ideas on how I want to do this deal plus get some good advice from someone that has experience with this deal. I'll PM you my contact information and thanks again.

D. Sea

A429
Update: I finally got around to this "Project" and removed the bed. I can't find any VIN number on the frame. The fuel filter us up under the back drivers side of the cab. So trying to get a look on top of the frame at this location will require cab removal or some tricky cleaning and mirror work LOL?
Now on the drivers side of the frame under the door there is a tag with XN and then to the right of the tag is a stamped number XN 1 29 91 or it may be a XN 4 29 91 but I belived it's a 1. Does this mean anything?

I have way too many projects and very little time so I'll be selling this project and hopefully someone else can give this truck the attention it really needs.

proptop

Donating Member
Sir,
Is the door sticker still there? Also look at the vin number on the dash that should help you get the number. By chance what is the asking price?
Thanks,
Bob