Oil Pressure gauge wiring

My LS1 Typhoon came with a non working oil pressure gauge. The sensor is already installed on the LS1 block, but nothing connected to it. I have not found the connector/wiring from the gauge that should plug into the sensor. I'm pretty sure it is just missing or mistakenly cut. I can buy a new connector from my local parts store, but I cannot find the wiring from the gauge... Short of of removing the instrument cluster just so I can trace the wiring - does anyone know where the wiring bundle is routed? I can't see or feel behind the the cluster to tell. I know the Typhoon service manual shows it goes to connector C201 pin D. I have not found that connector...

Can anyone tell me where that connector is located or point me in the right direction to resolve this problem?

Btw, my Typhoon has an off the shelf wiring harness for the conversion.

Thanks in advance,
Eddy

Re: Oil Pressure gauge wiring

OK, I believe I have found the tan oil pressure wire and connector!
See pictures. I couldn't get a picture of the LS1 oil pressure sensor connector, but it doesn't seem to match the Typhoon plug. I assume I just get an LS1 plug, splice it in, and plug it in and it should work (I hope...) Please let me know if I am wrong.
Thanks - Eddy

OKb0SmshIqIYQGo4DGB6b1sGAUntBcuwzYcpjH6iHB4=w276-h207-p-no

Nfn5nvGv1mkx9YTLF7UwP4j_hDaHL0oP3IZllUIQC08=w276-h207-p-no

Norm

Donating Member

Why can't you use the original pressure sensor on the ls block? I think you need a adapter for it, trying to remember what I used on mine. I am running a stock gauge.

Why can't you use the original pressure sensor on the ls block? I think you need a adapter for it, trying to remember what I used on mine. I am running a stock gauge.

Yeah, it'll definitely need an adapter. I think the prior owner put the Typhoon engine's sensor in the block. It has 3 pins and this connector has 1. Dave says that is an LS connector.
I really don't want to switch out the sensor - it's a pain to get to...

sparkwire

Donating Member

the oil pressure sensor is different in different years, early years it was a 1 wire, later on was a 3 wire may have been more changes. make sure you get the right pigtail for your sensor. my ls sensor works with my stock gauge, car in my sig.
my sensor is an 2002

TrendSetter

Organ donor in training

when i did the swap on my s10 i had to get a 2000 camaro sender. it is single wire and works with the stock dash. the plug that you posted a photo of looks like the correct plug for the camaro sender.

TrendSetter

Organ donor in training

ACDELCO Part # D1818A
or
ACDELCO Part # D8037
not sure on difference, but you can see what you need...straight thread (original one was tapered on mine) and the 1 pin plug

getimage.php

ACDELCO Part # D1818A
or
ACDELCO Part # D8037
not sure on difference, but you can see what you need...straight thread (original one was tapered on mine) and the 1 pin plug

getimage.php

Yep, I think you're right. I'll have to pick up one of those special sockets as well. This is going to be a pain. Very tight for my fat hands!!!
Thanks,
Eddy

sparkwire

Donating Member

These sensors are easy to break, takes a special socket( sorry don't remember the size) I broke one because of a defective socket that fit the sensor too tight. I do remember it was from auto zone.

I just finished installing the AC Delco D1818A oil pressure sensor using the special tool. Took less than an hour, works great!
Now to get the in dash tach working....
Thanks for everyone's help!
Eddy

Pariah

Pariah!

1-1/16" socket... extra-long reach, not the stubby socket... costs c.$10;
easy remove/install once the Intercooler has been removed, but the REAL BITCH is getting the 3-pin SOCKET removed if the original installer was "kind" enough to wedge the lock-on tab on the bottom of the sensor so that access to said tab is blocked by the pressurized fuel line!!!