propshaft lengthening

e95 Ty

Re: propshaft lengthening

Has anyone had their stock propshaft lengthened or is it standard to just buy a new one?

The stock shaft is junk to begin with. Sportmachines has the proper length hd shafts for stock or 4L80e length. Go that route and save yourself a bunch of hassle

JSM

By the time they lengthen a shaft (requires a new main section) your in it just as much as new or real close. Lots of options on suppliers for shafts from local on.

TrendSetter

Organ donor in training

when you say junk, what do you mean? what kind of power before they go kinetic?

i just ordered some tube to lengthen my stocker....might be a fun experiment

e95 Ty

when you say junk, what do you mean? what kind of power before they go kinetic?

i just ordered some tube to lengthen my stocker....might be a fun experiment

Honestly Davey, I wouldn't trust the stock shaft for anything more than the occasional boost launch on a stock truck. When they go they do a lot of damage. The joint is the weak link not necessarily the tube size.

If your building anything that makes power ditch that shaft, trust me...

TrendSetter

Organ donor in training

ok. I thought the trans was the only weak spot.
whats the story on the rear axles? do i have another fab9 in my future or will a aluminum girdle cover make it live? im talking 700+ hp max for goal... I guess ~70% of 700 is still almost 500...

e95 Ty

ok. I thought the trans was the only weak spot.
whats the story on the rear axles? do i have another fab9 in my future or will a aluminum girdle cover make it live? im talking 700+ hp max for goal... I guess ~70% of 700 is still almost 500...

My v6 build made just shy of 730hp and 800+ftlbs at the crank, I went 10.90 on the stock rear and never had an issue with it (guys have gone faster with it). I did change to a built GM 8.5 from DTS with all the upgrades just because I want to be able to beat the bag out of it at the track and not worry about it and cuz i've made some changes to my current build which should bump my hp to 800+

If your really building a 700+hp build I would say depending on how hard you drive it you may consider upgrading to a 8.5 at some point.

I also went full built 4L80e and upgraded billet internals in my t-case

Front diff is all stock

BMFB

Not to scale

you can get the stock shaft made longer for about 100-150 bucks depending on your local shops. I went that route and ran one like that for about 2 years with no issues. I Moved to a longer one which I had made on the west coast of michigan for about 280 dollars that is very nice.

I still run the stock rear everything, as well as the front. I've never actually dynoed it but math put its at like 740 WHP (135 mph @ 3750 lbs) Best et out of it so far has been 10.20. I run wrinkle wall tires though, which is probably helping my driveline out alot, so my experiences are skewed a bit. But so far the stock stuff seems great.

TrendSetter

Organ donor in training

Thanks for the input, I think I'll just plan on lengthening and shortening the shafts myself and install some loops and see what happens. I don't mind the growing pains of breaking stuff and utilizing the stock parts will keep my build on track. I handle projects better if I can get on the road quicker, even though it may be a little more costly financially the morale benefits are there.
Merry Christmas

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3

Thanks for the input, I think I'll just plan on lengthening and shortening the shafts myself and install some loops and see what happens.

Definitely get some driveshaft loops. If the driveshaft breaks it often destroy the transmission cable and brackets, sometimes cracks the transmission case and some rare cases if the transmission cable gets wrapped around it, it can destroy the in cabin shifter assembly.

It seems to me that many break the stock front propshaft in the 12's, the stock rear end in the 10's. The rear end often breaks an axle which can cause unsafe situation.