Ty Vs. Lightning. Who is going to take credit?

typhoon43

Re: Ty Vs. Lightning. Who is going to take credit?

Boostedpimp said:
nloc members are a bunch of homos.. They ban you for merely stating facts when they can talk all the shit they want

Yeah the Mods there can be a little one-sided, but you get used to it after a while. They're both wonderful trucks. Having owned both, I still think I liked my Typhoon better. AWD really is a godsend. The Gen2L's make way too much power to hook with simple bolt ons. I run 305/45/18 Nittor Drag Radials on the street and even before my built block and turbo setup I could just roast them from a stomp. We L owners will always play catchup in a street race. Reeling cars in is fun though :D

Mtn Z

Donating Member

Wow! 5.4 liter 4 valve? With a single turbo that thing has to be insane. Nice ride man! :tup:

typhoon43

Mtn Z said:
Wow! 5.4 liter 4 valve? With a single turbo that thing has to be insane. Nice ride man! :tup:

Well I won't know for about another 2 months :D
I bought a brand new Navi engine and sent it to Al Pepito at Boss330 a couple of weeks ago. Going .020 over with Mahle Pistons and Eagle Rods. Feeding it with a Turbonetics TC76-MPS w/ .96 exhaust wheel. Shooting for 650 to the wheels at 15 pounds of boost, 15 degrees of timing.

So then I will have 1/2 of what I miss.. a turbo, and AWD. Not sure how I'll pull AWD in the Lightning, but I may have to try :lol:

I miss my Phoon!

Broke Ass Racing

typhoon43 said:
Well I won't know for about another 2 months :D
I bought a brand new Navi engine and sent it to Al Pepito at Boss330 a couple of weeks ago. Going .020 over with Mahle Pistons and Eagle Rods. Feeding it with a Turbonetics TC76-MPS w/ .96 exhaust wheel. Shooting for 650 to the wheels at 15 pounds of boost, 15 degrees of timing.

So then I will have 1/2 of what I miss.. a turbo, and AWD. Not sure how I'll pull AWD in the Lightning, but I may have to try :lol:

I miss my Phoon!

Keep an eye on that exhaust housing. I know a bunch of people who are running a 76 w/ a .96 backside on V8's and running out of steam when they try to turn the wick up. Moving to a 1.20+ fixes things right up ;)

typhoon43

Thanks for the heads up. I actually went .96 because I don't want to crank the wick up much past 18 pounds at the track. My L is my only ride. Doh!

Mtn Z

Donating Member

Either way, I'm sure your L will do fine with the .96 wheel on it. If you can even get close to 650rwhp, that will be a damn fine street truck.

willyson

trollin'

typhoon43 said:
Thanks for the heads up. I actually went .96 because I don't want to crank the wick up much past 18 pounds at the track. My L is my only ride. Doh!

Are you from FL or GA? Nice L btw!

SYO237

SyTy Registry

willyson said:
Are you from FL or GA? Nice L btw!

Josh, aka "Turbo Cuke" is from the old skool and one of the OE FAST members. He may own a L now, but his heart will always be SyTy. Been trying to get him back for years.
Ok.gif

Im a little scared to talk about him though, as the Branch Curse may come back and haunt me.

Some memories:
http://www.syty.org/archives/syty/9908/msg00658.html
http://www.syty.net/forums//archive/index.php/t-2308.html

typhoon43

SYO237 said:
Josh, aka "Turbo Cuke" is from the old skool and one of the OE FAST members. He may own a L now, but his heart will always be SyTy. Been trying to get him back for years.
Ok.gif

Im a little scared to talk about him though, as the Branch Curse may come back and haunt me.

Some memories:
http://www.syty.org/archives/syty/9908/msg00658.html
http://www.syty.net/forums//archive/index.php/t-2308.html

AHAHAHAHA! You Bish. You do realize that after I sold that truck, it was bulletproof for the next 5 years? In other words, I gave up too early. The 4th Tranny was the charm, and all the other mods worked together well. Now I know that you just have to keep building. So when I vented my block with 38k on the clock, I said to myself "oh hell no you're not selling this thing!" I miss you guys like hell. I have a great group of local L owners that I wrench/drink with, but The FAST crew will always be my original group. Once I get this truck on the road again, you'll be seeing me at the meets. I'll be like Dave when he sold his Ty for a new Vette and everyone at the meet wanted to lynch him. Now you can pick on my Ford instead :D

SYO237

SyTy Registry

typhoon43 said:
AHAHAHAHA! You Bish. You do realize that after I sold that truck, it was bulletproof for the next 5 years? In other words, I gave up too early. The 4th Tranny was the charm, and all the other mods worked together well. Now I know that you just have to keep building. So when I vented my block with 38k on the clock, I said to myself "oh hell no you're not selling this thing!" I miss you guys like hell. I have a great group of local L owners that I wrench/drink with, but The FAST crew will always be my original group. Once I get this truck on the road again, you'll be seeing me at the meets. I'll be like Dave when he sold his Ty for a new Vette and everyone at the meet wanted to lynch him. Now you can pick on my Ford instead :D

Get your ass out to the Daytona meet coming up memorial weekend.

Baythan

SY2TY2SY2TY

"Josh Branch
Original Owner of the Turbo Cucumber. 93 Green/Gray Ty #1137
She will be missed."

Interesting that both 1137 and 1237 are green/gray. Who's got 1337? :)

typhoon43

If I had gotten 1337 I NEVER would have sold it. That's so Leet! :D

Foot Performance

Donating Member

All i know is sytys beating up on fords make 10lb 9oz baby jesus happy :lol:

and can the srt 10 beat a good tune up syclone stock

Foot Performance

Donating Member

i was doing some checking and the 0-60 is like 5.2 and the 1/4 is 13.8 so i am thinking catch on on the street and he will have a hell of a time catchen you

typhoon43

SRT-10's are WEAK. Even stock Lightnings can take them. A Sy should crush it, considering how badly they spin off the line on the street.
Last nigth at Gainesville Raceway there was a BLOWN AND NITROUS'D SRT-10 Quad Cab whose best run was a 13.0 AHAHAHAHAHH!

The Dodges are absolute pigs. 5000 pounds and those 22" rims are just like rotating lead wagon wheels.

Foot Performance

Donating Member

well that is what i thought but on that forum they were sayen that sytys WERE the fastes production trucks ever made and i was under the impresion that they ARE the fasted production trucks ever made that is why i asked

i have worked on and test drove and i know my sy would kill that thing at any speed but thought i would ckeck before i go talken trash haha

Black Knight

I Glow Therefore I am

Foot Performance said:
well that is what i thought but on that forum they were sayen that sytys WERE the fastes production trucks ever made and i was under the impresion that they ARE the fasted production trucks ever made that is why i asked

i have worked on and test drove and i know my sy would kill that thing at any speed but thought i would ckeck before i go talken trash haha

Probably a terminology thing, seems like alot of people consider the Sy "the quickest production truck" ever built, because of it's 0-60 times. The same group would also say that either the "L" or the "SRT" hold the record for the fastest purely because of top speed.

I would have to agree with them, but if Sy's weren't governed I wonder if the story would be different, since I've heard stories of ungoverned stock Sy/Ty's going into the 140-150 mph range.

Foot Performance

Donating Member

i didnt even know these truck had govners on them that sux i have a driveshaft vibration at a 100 so dont go much faster than that but i get there damn quick but i see what you mean i if they are governed then they would be the quickest not the fastes is this correct termonolagy(sp)

PS i need some one to tell how to take that off haha but really

i am thinking of making some plaques or plastic engraved displays to set in front of my truck and i dont know what oll to put on it so tryn to get it strait

SeattleSy#1255

Category 5 Conservative

I do not see a stock turbo syty going 140+. It doesn't matter because the 1/4 mark is up at between 98-103mph, of which a stock syty will take a stock L or SRT most times.

The problem is that many sytys that represent these races run like shit because they are tempermental as hell... In particular the f'n knock problems, of which is often false knock just kills the timing and kills the power.

all else equal, every truck running as it should...a sy would take the the 0-60, the 1/8th, and the 1/4................it would be last place when it came to top speed.

Black Knight

I Glow Therefore I am

SeattleSy#1255 said:
I do not see a stock turbo syty going 140+. It doesn't matter because the 1/4 mark is up at between 98-103mph, of which a stock syty will take a stock L or SRT most times.

The problem is that many sytys that represent these races run like shit because they are tempermental as hell... In particular the f'n knock problems, of which is often false knock just kills the timing and kills the power.

all else equal, every truck running as it should...a sy would take the the 0-60, the 1/8th, and the 1/4................it would be last place when it came to top speed.

Ask Paul Schwab ( skwayb ) about it, he's the one that told me he has datalogging of him and Jeff going 140+ on the way to Nats :rotf: