Wanted : Complete Engine Harness for 1993 Typhoon

neno74

Hi Looking for an engine harness in good usable condition for a 1993 Typhoon. The GM part number is 12121447 if anyone happens to know of a NOS one available. Thanks

Neno

DaveP's Ghost

I have one. Brand new. Never installed. The MAP sensor connector has a broken/missing lock tab. (I swapped the good connector shell for a Ty that had a broken tab. These shells are available from sources.)

Make an offer.

neno74

Is this the "full" harness that has both sides of the fuse box that bolts together at the firewall? Forgive me as I did not fully remove my old one so I am not sure how many pieces this harness is in. I think it is all one harness but you would know better. I am looking for the complete harness that also goes under the dash has the fuse panel and has the ECM connectors as well. Thank you

DaveP's Ghost

Ok.

"Engine Harness" is under the hood. Plugs into the firewall connector (C100), has 4 relays in it, and goes into the interior on the passenger side to the ECM's 3 connectors. All 3 years of engine harnesses are interchangeable, with a minor change in the connector above the brake booster that interfaces with the forward lamp harness for ABS circuits that is easialy changed to what you need.

"Instrument Panel Harness" ("IP") is inside the truck. Begins at the C100 connector, (C100 and the fuse block are snapped to each other) goes across the truck, ends at the 10-pin connector that interfaces to the Engine Harness, and the DRAC connector.

There is a major difference between the IP harnesses for Sy and Ty. Rear lighting and Fuel Pump are in C100 for the Sy and run outside the truck. Ty rear lighting is internal, and has an inline connector on the fuse block. It takes some work to modify one to the other.

There are some minor differences between 1992 and 1993 engine and IP harnesses. Most are associated with differences between the 4-sensor ABS used in 91&92, and the 3-sensor ABS used in 1993. There are a couple of changes in courtesy lighting connectors between 92 and 93.

There are two more harnesses that are not SyTy specific (common to all S-series that have these options). The Forward Lamp Harness is the forward lighting and ABS. Begins at C100, goes up the left side, across the core support. Cross-Body harness goes across the body at the base of the windshield. Goes from door to door for power windows, locks, and in a Ty, the RKE in the center console, and the electric mirrors. This harness is inaccessible unless the dash is pulled, or is rolled aft.

Minor harnesses are: Rear lighting. Fog light. Cruise Control (and rear wiper on Ty). The speaker / radio harness and ashtray and courtesy lights are stand-alone on Syclone. (In Ty they are incorporated into the IP harness.)

I have both Engine and IP harnesses. They have 1993 configuration. Both are brand new, never installed.

neno74

Thank you for this detailed description! It helps a lot. I would like to purchase both the engine harness and the IP harness. Most of my damage is inside the truck and since the ECM connectors are part of the engine harness, it only makes sense to replace both engine and IP harnesses. I do have the dash out on my truck and would even replace the Cross-Body harness too since I am this far into it. Do you have the cross body harness available as well? If so I will consider buying all 3 harnesses. Thanks again!

DaveP's Ghost

What kind of "damage" are you dealing with? Rodents? Fire?

I do not have a Typhoon Cross Body harness in my stash.

I could possibly build one from scratch, or more likely to work the first time, repair yours with new wire and terminals as nedded. Using an existing one for the pattern and some of the connector shells would be the best way. The Ty cross body has the mirrors and RKE in it. Compared to the Sy (or pick-up truck, which is the one I have in my stash), the Ty cross body harness has more circuits and wires to it.

Here's what I have in mind. Not inexpensive, but it will be reliable and work the first time: Send me your cross body harness. I'll fix it as required. I'll make sure the repaired cross body harness is compatible with the new IP and Engine Harness I have. And that the IP and engine harnesses are compatible with each other. If you want, send the two door harnesses as well, and I will check and repair those as needed as well. I'll test the circuits for continuity between the harnesses. It will all work when reinstalled in the truck. Back in the day, the two new harnesses were being sold on here for $500. I just committed to about 8-10 hours of work in the shop dealing with wiring. I'd ask for $600 for everything required to be sure all your wiring is plug-and-it-will-work-the-first-time.

You would be getting the harnesses for N/C; you're paying for the validation that it will all work when installed.

neno74

I am dealing with flood damage. I bought the Typhoon years ago that I think people on here were talking about for a while. It has 6000 original miles on it and was involved in Hurricane Sandy . I started restoring it and life got in the way. The body and most of the interior hasn't been affected too badly by the flood. The interior wiring and electrical components are probably the worst of the damage. I did source a lot of NOS pieces over the years that I will be using. I was thinking that I was going to clean up the harnesses and use them but after investing all this time, money and energy I don't want to take a chance. There is a lot of corrosion on the terminals. I'd rather have piece of mind that that there are no hidden gremlins. I am getting back to it now and am now focusing all the interior issues before I start assembly. I already rebuilt the original motor, trans, front and rear diff, fuel system, brakes etc etc. My goal is to bring it back to all its 6000 mile original glory. I am a sucker for punishment because I just couldn't let this once beautiful truck get parted out or hacked up.

You offer sounds very reasonable and I will accept. I did find a couple of smaller NOS harnesses out there but not sure if it is they are the cross body that you are referring to. If it saves time and hassle for the both of us, I could get these NOS harnesses if you could maybe verify it is what I need?

The part numbers are 12099840 and 12140873. One I think is the cross harness and the other is a door harness. Maybe you can verify if these are the ones I need? Again, it will save some time and hassle in repairing my original harness maybe I will just buy them and the get the Engine and IP harness from you.

Thanks again, let me know how you want to proceed. You can call me at 847-414-6366. Thanks again! Neno

DaveP's Ghost

Ok, cool. I do remember the 'Hurricane Sandy' Ty. Yes, its been awhile.

I have the terminals in my stash. I have automotive-suitable GTP wire in many colors. I can replace all the wire and terminals, re-using the original connector shells (after cleaning) if I don't have them in my stash too. (I have many of them).

I have a parts fisch for the S/T series. Wiring harness part numbers aren't real useful because the harness P/N is not on the harness itself, but may be on packaging. There are so many harnesses, depending on options and use, that errors in determining the correct P/N are likely. Having a P/N may be useful in online searches, but only if the seller has the P/N correct.

It sounds like you may need the forward and rear lighting harnesses as well. I have a new forward lamp harness. The rear harness has a bunch of terminals that are difficult to source. It will be hard to "repair", so it may be best to find a take-out rear harness from any 1989-1994 2-door Blazer or Jimmy. The rear lighting harness is not SyTy-specific.

I have 25 years experience with the SyTy and S-series wiring. I know the colors, circuits, and connectors by memory. If you can send me all the wiring from your truck, even if it is green and corroded, I am confident that I can replace, repair,or replicate your wiring with new or replacement harnesses that will interconnect and work as intended when reinstalled.

neno74

Ok, so do you want me to send you all my harnesses then or just the cross over harness? When do you think you will be able to get this done?

DaveP's Ghost

If anyone is curious, he sent me all the wiring out of the truck except the rear lighting. I ended up having to fabricate a cross-body harness from scratch. The wires in his were black from corrosion. I added all-new fog light wiring into a new forward lamp harness. I had new engine and IP harnesses. I finished it all up yesterday.

About 6 weeks. Not bad for a SyTy project.

gmemony2

Sounds like a nice challenge. So much crusty wiring in most of these trucks with stock wiring from age I bet a lot of them could use the same treatment.