What might have been. And for the Typhoon - Was.

DaveP

Re: What might have been. And for the Typhoon - Was.

James Thomas said:
So is this "BYB" a GM code and if so what does it go too? Same matallic "grayish / silver" as the radio bezel etc.?
Yes, it is a GM code. I first saw it on a SPID label on a Typhoon. The RPO "de-codes" as "accent color, grey". The paint guy looked at me funny, but took it back when a formula came up for it. I know there are a couple of (at least) different silvers used in the interior in the early 90's. I have (2) different 'color' radio bezels. But I think BYB is one of them. I'll see if I can figure it out tomorrow, and post it.

If you're re-doing all the silver, in the same car, this would be a good choice, IMO.

Regards
DaveP

James Thomas

"NO CLASS"

Thanks Dave, yes please let me know. In fact if you could post a pic that would be great cause the interior bezels we are talking about (in the stock color) are more of a gray shade with metallic in it. Not realy a bright / silver gray. more of a gray silver metallic...... if that makes any sense?

_______
James

James Thomas

"NO CLASS"

Edit: I'm traveling but I may have some pics of some of my trim in the laptop. I'll check in a bit when it comes off the charger. I'm in the business center at the hotel right now :roll:

________
James

SY2455

70's Veteran

phoonTy said:
I want to know what these look like:
Gmc Truck Typhoon WA9662 44151 Exterior Pastel Blue 92 - 92

Are these colors still possible? If I were to have my truck repainted, is it possible to use any of those colors and get the true match?

The Pastel Blue is more commonly call Sky Blue as it looks like the sky on a really clear day with no clouds or smog.

TYPHOOL7

Post Hawk

SY2455 said:
The Pastel Blue is more commonly call Sky Blue as it looks like the sky on a really clear day with no clouds or smog.
therefore being that im in LA i cant imagine the color, thanks :)

James Thomas

"NO CLASS"

DaveP6999 said:
Yes, it is a GM code. I first saw it on a SPID label on a Typhoon. The RPO "de-codes" as "accent color, grey". The paint guy looked at me funny, but took it back when a formula came up for it. I know there are a couple of (at least) different silvers used in the interior in the early 90's. I have (2) different 'color' radio bezels. But I think BYB is one of them. I'll see if I can figure it out tomorrow, and post it.

If you're re-doing all the silver, in the same car, this would be a good choice, IMO.

Regards
DaveP

Hey Dave, any luck on this?

________
James

DaveP

James Thomas said:
Hey Dave, any luck on this?

I'll get my Christmas Present camera out of the box and take some pics. BYB has a heavy metalic content. My Ty is more of a grey. Not the same. My 91 T-10 pick-up has a 'red' interior, but in 91 the A/C vents, radio panel, door lock inserts, etc were always 'silver'. BYB is much closer to this color in this year.

I'll try to get some pics up this evening.
Regards,
Dave

warmpancakes

all of the interior panels from the dealer that are the ty/sy specific color are paint to match now

James Thomas

"NO CLASS"

Yea Ken, very few of them are still available. The problem I have is that the freaking Dupont dealer here is the only paint jobber that has anything at all to mix with and the only guy there that mixes is a complete dope.

I have tried to get him to mix / match the metallic grey that is on the radio bezel, A/C vents, inst. cluster & door panel sw. bezels about 6 times and its too light or dark and either too much metallic or not enough. I have six pints of the Dupont "interior / vinyl" paint that are crap too prove it. He keeps telling me that there is not a code listed in the Dupont book and none of the SPID numbers is it either so I have too GIVE HIM a code or keep paying for him to "experiment".

I guess the $64 question is..... what is the code for the metallic dash bezels, the head light surround buckets and the rest of the trim that is not 18DN ?

_________
James

James Thomas

"NO CLASS"

Still loking for that magic "metallic silver grey" color code or formula for the dash sw. bezels, radio and door sw. bezel's.... anyone??

________
James

DaveP's Ghost

There is a code 'BYB'. I found a formula for it in PPG. It is the silver trim color for the door lock inserts, grill, radio bezel, etc. It has purple in it. I've used it for a lot of things where I wanted a "stock-looking" 'silver', but didn't want to just give it a coat of Krylon..... The upper intake on my Syclone gets a lot of comments painted this color. It looks like powder-coat.

Not sure how I stumbled into this 13 year old thread. I recall coming to the conclusion that BYB was the RPO for grey cladding, but I thought I reached this conclusion way before 2007. Nope. Eventually, I conducted a survey and came to the conclusion that BYA was black cladding, BYB was grey, BYC was white, and BYD was red. Prior to this it was thought that there was no way to know the cladding color from the SPID. Eventually, knowing the cladding RPOs led to producing the color combination production numbers that are widely accepted and cited today.