Air to Air Intercooler How-To

epix

Typhoon
DIY FMIC Parts

I've recieved quite a few requests for the parts needed to make your own A/A FMIC so I put
together this little list of items I used.

First off, doing the setup I did required me to remove the AC, trim the radiator support a bit,
and install an electric fan.

The core is Sized 24"X12"X3" with an overall Size 31"x12"x3"using 3" Inlet & Outlet, cost to me shipped was 128.98 from Just-Intercoolers on ebay. It came with mounting brackets as well.
justiccore.jpg

Piping is 3.0" Polished Alumuinum , I bought the kit on ebay for $146.99 shipped from the seller Just-Intercoolers, the kit came with pipe and choice of silicone it came with standard clamps but I replaced them with much better T-Bolt style clamps.
justicpipe.jpg

Pipe: total 8 pieces
1x 75 3.0"
1x U Bend 3.0"
3x 90 3.0"
3x Straight 3.0"
1x U Bend 3.0"

I remember having leftover pipe, next time I look at my engine I'll note what actual pipes I used.

I bought the T-Bolt Clamps and certain hoses from www.siliconeintakes.com and needed the following:

17x 3.0" @ $2.60 each
1x 4.0"
1x 2.0"
Cost of clamps = $49.40

Silicone Hoses needed:
1x Silicone Reducer, 3.0" to 2.0" - $12.99
1x Silicone Reducer, 4.0" to 3.0" - $12.99
3x 3.0" Silicone 90° Elbow - $50.97
Total Cost of Silicone Hoses: 76.95

Electric Fan: Perma-Cool 16" 2950CFM - $115.99 at Summitracing.com

Completed Look:
PICT0013-1.jpg

PICT0009-1.jpg

Total Cost: $518.31 - of course your cost might be a little different on how you do it.

WannabaTY

Re: Air to Air Intercooler How-To

That looks clean... Any pics of the underneath where the I/C pipes route??

Ryda85

did you notice a drop in temps ove the w2a?
any hp increase in this?

hatrik8

Donating Member

Doesn't mounting your transmission cooler with the outlets at the bottom cause air to get trapped in there?

30-09-2006%2010-29-32%20PM.JPG

epix

Typhoon

hatrik, that was just for mock up/idea, the tranny cooler ended up being mounted where the stock lower IC was in the stock bracket and using a spal fan

Last edited:

vortecfiero

question... inquiring minds need to know..

what is the rule of thumb for sizing intercoolers ?

Ryda85

i also noticed the turbotime and rpm units use a smaller core

tealty

Just a little info. I recently did an air/air setup to a fellow sytyer from Tampa a few weeks ago. I used a "godspeed" air/air core off of ebay for $250 new and the quality was very good. The inlet/outlet are on the same side and are 3". The core was 3.5" I believe. Total for the core, piping, silicone hose, and t-clamps were under $500. I tig'd him up some intercooler pipes and also installed an alky injection kit. I ended up fabbing a meth tank out of 18gauge stainless complete with a sump, -8 feed, billet cap, and a vent. The tank bolted right up to where his stock windshield wiper fluid tank was. If someone can host them for me, i'll share some pics.

later
Jordan

alwayscode390

pppssssshhhhhtttttttttttt

I like the sound of the meth kit where the wiper fluid should be :) !!! PM sent about hosting pics ---

MAITAI1993

DON'T MAKE ME SLAP YOU.

good shit I need alot of trial and error before i do it
a few people have asked about horsepower loss or gains???
what about turbo sound did it change (wistle) whay about lag???

Flyin Ryan

hated cuz he drives fords

Glad to see finally a nice write up on how-to a2a.. I finally got around to doing mine.. I take a different approach. I wanted to use the least amount of piping possible to help prevent as much leaks or potential leaks as possible and help minimize any lag. I choose a core that had low to no pressure drop, has both inlet and outlet on the same side and was the thickest that would fit in the core support behind the factory hood latch and infront of the radiator to help less complicate things. My care is 3" thick which is as thick as i wanted to go because I've heard of cooling issues with thicker ones. Only problem with this is setup is that i had to cut a nice piece of the core support and relocate my battery to the bed.. then again every air2air requires these things right :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/boostedpimp/syty shizle/Install process/DSC05767.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/boostedpimp/syty shizle/Install process/DSC05766.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/boostedpimp/syty shizle/Install process/DSC05765.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/boostedpimp/syty shizle/HID Conversion/DSC08048.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/boostedpimp/syty shizle/HID Conversion/DSC08047.jpg

Last edited:

need4speed

On the never ending quest

do i need a ext wastegate to run a system like this ?
My trucks all stock is this for me ?

epix

Typhoon

need4speed said:
do i need a ext wastegate to run a system like this ?
My trucks all stock is this for me ?
you don't need an external wg, it would work with a stock turbo but you would need to use a different hose for the turbo to IC pipe

Is there any way of doing it without pulling out the A/C? I'd like to keep the A/C! Thanks!

spooldup

Boostedpimp said:
Glad to see finally a nice write up on how-to a2a.. I finally got around to doing mine.. I choose a core that had low to no pressure drop, has both inlet and outlet on the same side to minimize the amount of piping needed to help kill any possibly added lag. Only problem with this is that i had to cut a nice piece of the core support and relocate my battery to the bed.. then again every air2air requires these things right :)

no, not all a2a setups require you to cut your core support or relocate you battery.