Anyone wanna chime in and tell me what this is?

tcbkelly

So, I was looking over the engine compartment of my new Syclone trying to figure out why it falls on its face under acceleration. While checking for vacuum leaks I found this. It looks like it interrupts a vacuum line attached to the turbo and whatever the electronic module on top of the turbo is. Also there is a braided line that comes off the top of the turbo that runs behind the engine but i can't locate where it goes from there. Looks like it could be stock but the braided hardline is throwing me off. Seems a little too fancy for stock. Also, there is no water in my intercooler just before the intake. Shouldn't there be? Should i fill it and see if i've got a leak somewhere?

Update>>>> The knob is a manual boost controller apparently. It was cranked all the way out and was overboosting and causing the engine to fall on its face. Turned it all the way down and then slowly loosened it while testing and got it to where the dash gauge says it makes 15 pounds. I know that its not accurate but until i can install an aftermarket boost gauge it will have to do. Truck runs better but still not impressively fast compared to my mostly stock 87 GN.

Still looking for input.

Any help is appreciatedIMG_8570[1].JPGIMG_8571[1].JPGIMG_8572[1].JPGIMG_8573[1].JPGIMG_8574[1].JPG

Last edited:

Sytx

So, I was looking over the engine compartment of my new Syclone trying to figure out why it falls on its face under acceleration. While checking for vacuum leaks I found this. It looks like it interrupts a vacuum line attached to the turbo and whatever the electronic module on top of the turbo is. Also there is a braided line that comes off the top of the turbo that runs behind the engine but i can't locate where it goes from there. Looks like it could be stock but the braided hardline is throwing me off. Seems a little too fancy for stock. Also, there is no water in my intercooler just before the intake. Shouldn't there be? Should i fill it and see if i've got a leak somewhere?

Any help is appreciatedView attachment 1865601View attachment 1865602View attachment 1865603View attachment 1865604View attachment 1865605
Looks like an aftermarket boost controller.

Ty1642

The braided line is the stock oil feed line to the turbo. Stock boost control is from the solenoid with the blue wiring connector controlling pressure to the wastegate. Someone's disconnected that. The coolant tank in the photos is the radiator and turbo charge air cooler overflow - it should have some liquid in it. You've also got stock vacuum lines. At these truck's age, those usually crack and can cause a bunch of problems. I think Sportsmachines still sells a replacement vacuum line kit that's definitely worth looking at.