Crankcase venting

Slyclone

Noticed my dipstick popped and oil gauge flipped

Happened after I started it and ran,turned off an started again shortly after.

Any ideas? PCV is intact. Aftermarket intake. One plumbed into the intake, the other goes to throttle body. Driver side I have the original hose hooked up that goes to intake and that's it. ?

Also, I do have a melling high volume oil pump.

Never seem like it happen before just strange because now I'm in for taking the cluster apart. Not the end of the world just time consuming. It's a delicate task.

Last edited:

SEL777

One of 101
Noticed my dipstick popped and oil gauge flipped

Happened after I started it and ran,turned off an started again shortly after.

Any ideas? PCV is intact. Aftermarket intake. One plumbed into the intake, the other goes to throttle body. Driver side I have the original hose hooked up that goes to intake and that's it. ?

Also, I do have a melling high volume oil pump.

Never seem like it happen before just strange because now I'm in for taking the cluster apart. Not the end of the world just time consuming. It's a delicate task.
When mine flipped, I was able to flip it back with a paperclip sticking through were the cover (lens) attaches to the rest of the gauge cluster. Some had added a stopper pin like on the bottom to stop it. I know there's a thread on here where one guy used a thumbtack trimmed down and painted black.

DaveP's Ghost

I did this to my red/gry that I sold 14 years ago. I had a bent paper clip bent up that would go in the hole and push the needle back around. I could take the light switch panel out, push the needle back, put the light panel back in before the pump clicked off. The hole is undetectable with the light switch installed.

IMG_1983.jpg

Last edited:

Slyclone

I appreciate the information on the needle flipping topic, I was more or less trying to pin point on WHY it triggered the needle to go over board and why I discovered the dip stick popped.

I have a easy non invasive way to fix the needle. I just rotate the cluster until the needle goes back. No drilling required. I have combated this issue a few times before but my actual though is WHY did it pop the dipstick and how come it (needle) decided to go around.

PCV just not working correctly?

Last edited:

Slyclone

Yes it's just vented. I have the factory tube that would originally go to the front airbox still connected. It rests up by the remote oil filter location. I did not want to remove it and have a open port back there. Occasionally I see a little steam stuff puffing from the hose up front.

PCV valves look like there shot. Pulled them and I see there's some moisture within the specific T tube and on both the bottom of PCV valves.