How to stop bottoming out after lowering....

supersports10

for the rear.......you obviously want to have the truck lower, because it looks good right??
BUT.... it rides like ass.......solution??? look at the front of the overload leaf, go back 2" from the front, and drill a 3/8 hole in the center of the leaf. get some energy suspension bump stops, and install them in this hole. by doing this you are engauging the overload sooner, under hard compression (big bump) the overload will actually be used.
under all but 1% of daily uses sy/ty's never use the overload, period.
by doing this you are allowing the overload to do it's job sooner.
now dont get me wrong,...under normal circumstances (small road bumps) the truck wont be riding on these, it is just for bigger bumps.
if you like this but want it to engauge even sooner, add one to the rear side of the overload.
you can also tune engaugement with bump stop height. energy suspension sell's different height bump stops.

another side effect is the truck will plant the tires harder on a boost launch.

i have had this done to my syclone for a year now, and absolutetly love it. no more bottoming out (i have 2" blocks, plus the factory wedge.

pics......
here you go.......
suspension003.jpg

easy as pie..
suspension004.jpg

these are the rubber bumpers that i used, then lopped 1/2 of them off. they are a lakewood traction bar replacement bumper, from summit, or jegs.
suspension001.jpg

use these if you want less.
suspension002.jpg

box and part # for the red ones.....enjoy
icon_biggrin.gif

Last edited:

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD
Re: How to stop bottoming out after lowering....

Nice to see you waited a year to find out if it is worth s shit or not. So you only put them in the front right? I cant wiat to do this. Also, when you say it plants the rear tires, you are saying this in a good way correct? I mean, what couldnt be good about that?

supersports10

92boostedty said:
can you do this with the belltech lowering leafs?

if belltech leafs have an overload too then yes! same prncipiles apply to them also.

TYTILIDIE said:
Nice to see you waited a year to find out if it is worth s shit or not. So you only put them in the front right? I cant wiat to do this. Also, when you say it plants the rear tires, you are saying this in a good way correct? I mean, what couldnt be good about that?

when you apply power, or "launch" with these trucks, the truck tries to make a giant "S" out of the leaf spring, by arching the front up, and the back down. thereby creating an "S" out of the leaf spring.
by putting these in the front, you are allowing the overload to supplement the 2 existining soft leafs, with a much stiffer leaf. now when you "launch" the truck, the rear axle tries to rotate, but rotation is stopped by the overload, and redirected in the form of planting of the tire into the ground, and lifting the chassis. it's the old...."lift, & seperate".

it's the same principles as the old "traction bars" without the gaudy things hanging under your car, and being in the way.:roll:
with this system, no one will ever know it's there unless you show them. :D

also.. on the putting one in the rear thing...if your truck is very low, 3" or more, then i would go ahead and do this also.
remember............the front of a leaf spring is what controlls weight carrying capacity, and controlls spring windup, or the resistance to making an "S" out of the leaf.

the rear is for ride controll, and ride height.

i would start with one in the front first, then put one in the back, as needed. :tup:

SY2767

How difficult is it to drill the leaf spring? Never done that before.

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3

supersports10 said:
when you apply power, or "launch" with these trucks, the truck tries to make a giant "S" out of the leaf spring, by arching the front up, and the back down. thereby creating an "S" out of the leaf spring.
by putting these in the front, you are allowing the overload to supplement the 2 existining soft leafs, with a much stiffer leaf. now when you "launch" the truck, the rear axle tries to rotate, but rotation is stopped by the overload, and redirected in the form of planting of the tire into the ground, and lifting the chassis. it's the old...."lift, & seperate".

it's the same principles as the old "traction bars" without the gaudy things hanging under your car, and being in the way.:roll:

I never though too much about this. I might have to re evaulate he removal of my overload spring on my Belltech's with the Coil Over rear shocks. The Bell Tech themselves come with an overload spring, but that overload spring comes with a rubber pad already and the Belltech also sit very flat at rest compared to the stock spring.

rodent

My problem is the rear shocks. The stock length only has 1" left before it bottoms out. Shorter shocks are a must.

I have a coilover in the front which is only 1/4" away from the bumpstops. I need to increase height and install the low profile stops.

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD

You know i have my truck on stands right now and I was looking at the helper spring and mine wouldnt fit that in there. I have the stands under the axle, would it still benefit form this mod?

supersports10

TYTILIDIE said:
You know i have my truck on stands right now and I was looking at the helper spring and mine wouldnt fit that in there. I have the stands under the axle, would it still benefit form this mod?

use the smaller one from energy suspension at the top of the page.

super-gt

Considered a frame notch?

My dad has his blazer lowered 5 inches in the rear with a frame notch and it rides very nice for being as low as it is..

NecroWolf

lost marbles member

i don't bottom except for the really serious stuff w/ 2" blocks and momax(?) shocks

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD

Problem I see with notching is the cladding. Blazers dont have it and I wouldnt want to take a chance at having my cladding chewed up.

super-gt

TYTILIDIE said:
Problem I see with notching is the cladding. Blazers dont have it and I wouldnt want to take a chance at having my cladding chewed up.

Yea, that is probably true. You would have to set your wheels further in to the fender to clear the cladding with more travel I spose. Just throwin out some ideas.

U ONT 2

What about stock height? Would this still give me more plant?

s_blazin

Donating Member

Considered a frame notch?

My dad has his blazer lowered 5 inches in the rear with a frame notch and it rides very nice for being as low as it is..

i have a 6 inch drop on the rear of my s10 and my blazer, 3 inch leafs and a 3inch block, never really had a bottoming out problem, for an s10 anyways. that is correct about the cladding though.

i did however remove the factory bump stops and brackets off the frame and in place put the low profile ones mentioned above in the frame above the rear axle. seems to work great for me, biggest problem is wide tires hitting the fender lip when weighted down aka the blazer with 3 heavy people crammed into the back seat

HiPerformanceHill

Lowered ty's with stock wheels will rub cladding if travel is not limited. I've seen S_blazers s-10 and blazer and its done very well. Its all about the wheel offset. My ty had a two inch block in rear and with my 17x11s 315-35-17s they never rubbed nor did they ever bottom out on the stock bump stops. If you go lower of course they will bump and will ride crappy. Personally if you want that wheel gap between the bottom of the fender and tire as minimal as possible then buy bigger wheels. This will look better and still give you a better ride.

b34tgnu2

I just bought my first Ty and it's already lowered using new keys for the front torsion bars and the rear has blocks with the realignment block for the axles as well. It also has brand new bilsteins too but I was informed they are stock height replacements. It rides fine and sits real low but when I hit a hard bump of course it sucks. My question is if I got shorter shocks would this help ride quality. I am thinking about getting a complete setup front and real with coilover and new rear leafs to just have a piece of mind about it all.

Black Knight

I Glow Therefore I am

Maybe, maybe not it depends if the shocks are bottoming out or the frame is touching the axle.

You might try messing with it a little before you through a couple thousand dollars at the problem, or not :)

Horsehammerr

I just bought my first Ty and it's already lowered using new keys for the front torsion bars and the rear has blocks with the realignment block for the axles as well. It also has brand new bilsteins too but I was informed they are stock height replacements. It rides fine and sits real low but when I hit a hard bump of course it sucks. My question is if I got shorter shocks would this help ride quality. I am thinking about getting a complete setup front and real with coilover and new rear leafs to just have a piece of mind about it all.

No way the stock length Bilsteins are bottoming out. Blocks only lift the axle housing, they do not change the shock mounts at all.