Intercooler pump/flow help?

SuperSy

Re: Intercooler pump/flow help?

I think I almost got it. The truck maintained 108-110 in stop and go traffic, then was a steady 120 with 4-5 brief spurts of 14 lbs boost. It briefly spiked to 150 degrees at one point, but quickly settled back down to 120. I may try one more air purging session to see If I can improve it. I'm still getting 4 to 5 deg KR @ 14 psi, but still way better than before (8-12 KR).

turboj91

Super slow fill works too. Air can escape as quickly (althought it is really slow) as the incoming fluid and prevent air pockets.

Peter

my Ty and me 25+ years

If you actually are getting 4 gpm, that should be enough to clear air out of all the high spots and hoses. I actually measured mine with a flowmeter and 2 gpm (one Jabsco) is not enough, but 4 gpm caused a torrent of bubbles and completely cleared the system. My system has two heater cores in series with the stock upper and lower IC. It took two Jabsco (essentially stock) pumps in series, one in front of the lower IC and the heater cores, followed by the second pump that pumps directly to the upper IC.

sae

Donating Member

Found this on a search, but if anyone has this problem, squeezing both lines together for a couple minutes with cap open while refilling after big bubbles helps, and after a few top offs, put cap on and squeeze both lines simultaneously. I heard this from a friend and tried it out, started flowing like crazy in a few minutes. I'm running a Davies Craig 4gpm pump.

gmemony2

Resurrecting this thread...anyone have any new tips, or an easy one time solution to filling and removing air bubbles. Need to replace the pump and will be pulling off the heat exchanger to clean and check it out at the same time.

Edit: As a note, my lines will be running through passenger side fender, so not as easy to lift the intercooler, but I will still be able to to some degree.

Last edited:

2500avalanche

What I have done (with success) is take the TOP hose off, and fill it slowly. It will start to push the air out. Once it is filled, the fluid will start coming out of the rear of the upper IC, connect the hose, and fill it to the top. It always has worked for me this way. SOmeone years a go showed me (or I read about it)

gmemony2

What I have done (with success) is take the TOP hose off, and fill it slowly. It will start to push the air out. Once it is filled, the fluid will start coming out of the rear of the upper IC, connect the hose, and fill it to the top. It always has worked for me this way. SOmeone years a go showed me (or I read about it)

Cool, I'll give that a try. Thanks

neildemo

Administrator
with aftermarket pumps like sureflos it doesn’t matter. But the gravity fed pumps on stock don’t like air in the lines. I could be wrong but what my experience has been. I also ran my lines through passenger fender.

Sy 0145

I am having the most difficult time purging air and getting good flow from the intercooler pump. I have converted the metal lines to rubber and ran them through the fender.What happens is I can drain and refill the intercooler and it will flow fine until the truck sits and cools down,thats when the problems begin. I made sure the drain hose from the intercooler was/is lower than the feed line to avoid trapped air. Could the weak stock pump be my cause?
I also installed a Ford lightning intercooler pump. It flows more than our stock pump and doesn't pull a lot of amps.

neildemo

Administrator
there was a write up here some time ago. Basically you pre fill the lower intercooler before attaching.