Shindig Autocross Results

sytyguy

Moderated User
Finally got the results. I just included our drivers.

http://sytyshindig.com/blog/track-autox/2012-autocross-results/

1zvyhl3.png

And that was a DNF run in Harmon's Camaro....he dodged an obstacle. Redneck.

Last edited:

hatrik8

Donating Member
Is a syclone not very good for autox? It must be at least fun, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SYO237

SyTy Registry
Re: Shindig Autocross Results

Is a syclone not very good for autox? It must be at least fun, right?

Loaded question there. It can be good for autoX....with a good setup. Our trucks have massive understeer and its very easy to plow the tires and go nowhere in turns.

My truck sports stock suspension. It's been lowered with the torsions up front, 2" blocks in rear with a 1" sway bar. Monomax shocks in all 4 corners. It leans like a mofo in corners....fast, slow, doesnt matter. I also have Sumitomo HTR street tires that are well over 6 years old now. When driving a course, I can actually feel the truck being maxed out on its suspension/tires. In short, my current setup SUCKS.

Very soon here, I will be doing some testing with swapping out to just coilover shocks first and laying down some times, then going full out and doing the tubular a-arms to follow. The hope is to see a progression in handling and better response from the truck. Down the road I also plan to install a 4 point harness to keep me better planted in the seat. Right now my seltbelt has an issue with slacking and I end up sliding around and put to much effort into bracing (off the door, center console and steering wheel) which is seriously screwing my driving. Brake upgrade is also on the short term list of upgrades. I planned to do LS1s, but Ive been hearing talk of Caddy CTS caliper swaps.

For shindig, I'll be the first to admit I was doing some shitty driving. My first run started with me doing a 180* spin due to a cold brake lockup. :rant: I also basically had people doing ride alongs and I know on a few runs I was being way to aggressive on the course just to make sure it was fun (AWD sliding between cones is fun right?) and less focused on driving the course correct.

As far as it being fun? Tons. You basically get to drive like a nutcase in a controlled environment.

sytyguy

Moderated User

To expand on what Adam said, the course was also much more technical this year than 2010. The pivot was a major hurdle to us as it exploited our understeer potential and didn't have enough room to allow for a proper turnaround (nimble cars excel with these obstacles.....we are not nimble). Couple that with tight a Chicago Box, a decreasing gap slalom at the end, and 2 offsets (the 3 cone slalom was essentially an offset) and you've got 40 seconds of of things we're not good at with 8 seconds of things we are.

And like Adam, it doesn't matter how technical it is or how far behind the competition we are, IT IS ALWAYS FUN.

Syclone22

Better work on the suspension guys it is still
impressive for a SY truck to be in the top 10 ..

canadian

sy in progress

Maybe you should swap the suspension from a Mazda 5. It looks like it does really well with a load of beards in it from what I can see.

SY-1193

To expand on what Adam said, the course was also much more technical this year than 2010. The pivot was a major hurdle to us as it exploited our understeer potential and didn't have enough room to allow for a proper turnaround (nimble cars excel with these obstacles.....we are not nimble). Couple that with tight a Chicago Box, a decreasing gap slalom at the end, and 2 offsets (the 3 cone slalom was essentially an offset) and you've got 40 seconds of of things we're not good at with 8 seconds of things we are.

And like Adam, it doesn't matter how technical it is or how far behind the competition we are, IT IS ALWAYS FUN.

You forgot one course feature: The soap puddle before turn 1. :rotf: It was slippery just to walk thru it on the walk around.
I had a load of fun the best was when I noticed 6 people in Warren's van with helmets on bobbing around.

sytyguy

Moderated User

.....the best was when I noticed 6 people in Warren's van with helmets on bobbing around.
I saw that too. Bobbing around is a gentle way of putting it. They were all in the back seat going at it, and the van was parked. :barf:

hatrik8

Donating Member
Loaded question there. It can be good for autoX....with a good setup. Our trucks have massive understeer and its very easy to plow the tires and go nowhere in turns.

My truck sports stock suspension. It's been lowered with the torsions up front, 2" blocks in rear with a 1" sway bar. Monomax shocks in all 4 corners. It leans like a mofo in corners....fast, slow, doesnt matter. I also have Sumitomo HTR street tires that are well over 6 years old now. When driving a course, I can actually feel the truck being maxed out on its suspension/tires. In short, my current setup SUCKS.

Very soon here, I will be doing some testing with swapping out to just coilover shocks first and laying down some times, then going full out and doing the tubular a-arms to follow. The hope is to see a progression in handling and better response from the truck. Down the road I also plan to install a 4 point harness to keep me better planted in the seat. Right now my seltbelt has an issue with slacking and I end up sliding around and put to much effort into bracing (off the door, center console and steering wheel) which is seriously screwing my driving. Brake upgrade is also on the short term list of upgrades. I planned to do LS1s, but Ive been hearing talk of Caddy CTS caliper swaps.

For shindig, I'll be the first to admit I was doing some shitty driving. My first run started with me doing a 180* spin due to a cold brake lockup. :rant: I also basically had people doing ride alongs and I know on a few runs I was being way to aggressive on the course just to make sure it was fun (AWD sliding between cones is fun right?) and less focused on driving the course correct.

As far as it being fun? Tons. You basically get to drive like a nutcase in a controlled environment.

Thanks for the explanation. I'd love to try it someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk