Should I get a repaint

Typhoon Lagoon

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have had a teal typhoon since around 2004 that is mine and my brothers. It runs well and looks okay, but it is starting to get some rust issues, specifically on the hood. I am considering getting a repaint, but I wanted some input here before I went further with the project. Here are my details, thoughts, and questions:
  • I plan to have the auto body vocational school I work at do the job. They will do it at the cost of supplies and that's it; I know that this sub is very much in favor of doing things in the most professional of settings, but I have a hard time justifying putting a significant amount of money into any car, let alone one that has an undetermined remaining life in it. Moreover, I have seen their quality of work, and it is really good.
  • They said they can't get the original factory paint, but they could match it based on the color codes.
    • I am nervous that this will lower the value of the car, but I have no intent to ever sell it. It's kind of like being afraid of killing a unicorn even though it's yours. Would it hurt the value significantly?
  • I would have them also pull the cladding as there are rust issues underneath that as well, fix the cladding, and put it all back like it is brand new
  • My thought process is I would rather have it with a repaint than rust out.
Please offer any advice or guidance; it would be most appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2096.JPG
    IMG_2096.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2097.JPG
    IMG_2097.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1918.JPG
    IMG_1918.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1915.JPG
    IMG_1915.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2095.JPG
    IMG_2095.JPG
    934.9 KB · Views: 12

wildphil

I Love My Ty's
If they do pretty good work have them paint it. Many if not most of the Typhoons have been repainted, The paint that GM used at the time the vehicles were made did not adhere very well.

If it turns out well your vehicle will be of greater value than it is with rust spots and bad paint. IMO

wildphil

I Love My Ty's
I don't know. If the roof rack removal is not done properly there is a possibility of rain leaking inside the vehicle. But I actually prefer the look of the rack. I know most don't though.

DaveP's Ghost

I don't think the paint on the hood is born-with factory paint. I see three layers of material. Color coat, grey primer, and something white (and thick) between primer and the metal. Factory coatings are an oven-baked green enamel primer, with the single stage color coat on top. Usually, the top coat begins to peel off the primer, but the primer remains intact on the metal. On your hood, the substrate is separating from the metal. Not usual for the 92.

If I'm right, (not saying I am) repainting it isn't as big a deal if some of the paint is not oem . And it's your car. If you're going to better enjoy it if you bring its appearance back up to snuff, and the expense makes sense to you, go for it. Vocational Schools can be a cost-effective alternative to what is an expensive proposition for a Typhoon, because of the additional work involved with the R&R and painting of the cladding.

I will make a suggestion regarding shooting the grey cladding which you may wish to pass on to the crew dong the work: Try to lay each side of the car's pieces out on a long table so the adjacent pieces are near each other like they will be on the car. (Two 4X8 plywood on sawhorses, one side of the car on each side of the plywood). Run the gun passes from panel to panel, so there is consistency in the application and thickness on adjacent pieces. When installed, the final color will appear more even. If each piece is painted individually, there can be visible differences in "color" from piece to piece once installed. "Silver"paint is very susceptible to color differences from application technique.

Leave the roof rack on. It is an INCREDIBLE amount of work to remove, fill, and fair the holes so as to be undetectable. Especially the screw holes for the strips. Working on the roof is difficult. It's hard to reach and you can't look at your work from all directions, only the side your working from. Tough to get it right. Don't even try. Leave the rack on,

Good luck with your Teal.

2500avalanche

I have been through this with my ty. Took it down to a shell, then repainted/etc. Although I agree with Dave, I did have the rack removed on mine. The shop used for mine was great and took their time. Shop worked with me as they did body work, and painted, but I put it all together so I knew it was right to my specifications. Esp with the cladding. Take your time! Good luck