Syclone Gut Swap

Z SKI

Donating Member
Well its time to start my guts swap for my Sy. The truck turned over 88,000 miles yesterday when I pulled in the driveway, so I thought no better time to tear her appart and make her a monster :D She was getting really hard to drive since I smoked the trans about a year ago doing a 13+ psi boost launch. Plus I need some $$ to finish the project, might as well sell the old stuff :tup:
Here is day one of tear down, all accomplished in about 30 min. Stay tuned as I post up pics of the new guts and the project as i complete it day to day.

The new build is:

-Stock block, .040 over, half filled with Hard Blok, billet 4 bolt splayed main caps, nitriated/croyed stock crank, Eagle forged rods, custom 9:1 Diamond boost pistons with ceramic coated domes and dry film coated skirts, Total Seal zero gap rings, Comp custom grind cam with Comp everything valve train and ARP/stainless bolts everywhere.
-Unported Brodix -8 heads.
-Modified Brodix carb intake to EFI, forward facing sheet metal intake elbow and a TPIS billet 58mm throttle body.
-83# low imp. injectors, external fuel pump set-up with sumped tank, with a Holley Dominator EFI set-up.
-RPM stainless headers, downpipe, fuel rails, motor mounts, valve covers, steering shaft, etc..
-PTE 6466 gen 2 dbb turbo with a custom PTE 3.5" thick behind the grill mounted intercooler.
-Tial wastegate and bov.
-Griffin radiator with a ramchargers fan set up.
-Rear mount battery with a Davey Z custom battery tray/mount/wiring.
-Remac transmission Billet 4L80e build, 32 spline output shaft, 32 spline input on transfer case, installation kit and 3000 stall Precision multi-disc convertor.
-Alot of powder, bead blasted aluminum, and stainless braided line.
-Hydroboosted C5 front/4th gen Camaro rear brakes with baer 13"/12" rotors, anodized black calipers, black zinc plated caliper brackets, and ceramic pads.
-Rebuilt and coated frame, rear end, and suspension components with all new urethane bushings. Rear sway bar and battle bars.
-OEM grand sport wheels with 275/40 R17 front and 315/35 R17 rear, with ET street drag radials on all corners.

How she looked:
teardown002a.jpg

teardown003a.jpg

teardown004a.jpg

After some tear down:
teardown009a.jpg

teardown012a.jpg

The parts that were pulled:
teardown015a.jpg

See ya,

Last edited:

Z SKI

Donating Member
Re: Syclone Gut Swap

Pretty much, trans is smoked and i got a nice motor and trans to throw into it. Paul Z.

hatrik8

Donating Member
Re: Syclone Gut Swap

Sweet :tup: I always liked the black out look of your truck. Good luck with the tear down and build up.

Mtn Z

Donating Member
Re: Syclone Guts Swap

Yeah, that boost launch we did was pretty awesome. Unfortunately, the trans hasn't been the same since. It's Monster Time! :lol:

Luke

Fish sticks SUCK !!!

its good to know I'm not the only one who still drives their truck with a half smoked trans

Mtn Z

Donating Member

cloned 1 said:
its good to know I'm not the only one who still drives their truck with a half smoked trans

Yeah, it's actually been about two years since the boost launch that did the trans in. It's slowly but surely started to become less drivable over the last six months I'd say.

sy#2921

BAMF

I would reccommend leaving as much as you can on the motor, much easier to take stuff off on the stand then in the truck

wayboarder

I will be out in Whittier here at the beginning of next month. I would love to swing by and check that thing/progress out in person!

Z SKI

Donating Member

I will most likely have Nolan tune it for me via e-mail or maybe ill go more loco and ill do it with code $59.
Wayboader, sure drop me a PM and you could swing by.
I did more today but haven't loaded the pics yet. Stay tuned. See ya, Paul Z.

Last edited:

wayboarder

SRT NOT said:
I will most likely have Nolan tune it for me via e-mail or maybe ill go more loco and ill do it with code $59.

Will do :tup:

bezerk

SRT NOT said:

hey didyou buy those mirrors from lmc truck? you sure have a nice looking truck

Z SKI

Donating Member

bezerk said:
hey didyou buy those mirrors from lmc truck? you sure have a nice looking truck

Nope, They are Ty mirrors. And thanks for the kind words. Paul Z.

Z SKI

Donating Member

Here are some more pics. All i have to do now is unbolt the AC compressor and swing it out of the way, remove the exhaust manifolds/turbo/downpipe/exhaust and the motor will be ready to pull.
teardown026a.jpg

teardown027a.jpg

teardown029a.jpg

teardown030a.jpg

Z SKI

Donating Member
Re: Syclone Guts Swap NEW PICS 4 AUG 08

Well its been a while since i last posted on my project. Almost done with the tear down. Here are some pics from when i pulled the trans and X-fer case a week or so ago. Enjoy, Paul Z.

typical Sy stance:
teardown051a.jpg

teardown048a.jpg

teardown049a.jpg

last years christmas present :D holding the old trans:
teardown053a.jpg

teardown055a.jpg

and i think i found what was causing my random false KR. This little bastard sitting right next to the knock sensor. I guess it has been there for a while due to all of the crud on it :tdown:
teardown056a.jpg

Last edited:

Z SKI

Donating Member

Hello again from sunny southern California. Did some more work to the truck on saturday. Here are the pics. All thats needed now to complete the tear down is to yank the motor, rear end, and front suspension/driveline. Enjoy, Paul Z.

removed the front face as it gives more room and less stuff to damage:
teardown059a.jpg

teardown060a.jpg

pics of the exhaust manifolds, turbo, downpipe, and driver side ass. bracket removed:
teardown057a.jpg

teardown058a.jpg

Mtn Z

Donating Member
Re: Syclone Guts Swap NEW PICS AUGUST 4th 2008

Damn! Looks like you weren't waiting around for me to show up. Lookin good! :tup: I'm still waiting on my proportioning valve. Should be here this week.

Tooky

Serious about performance

GREAT PICS!!! Some of the best I have seen in a while. It's almost like being there in person. Thanks for sharing and keep it up!