Tech at the track?

eviltwin

"junkyard syclone"
Will there be a tech inspection and if so how strict are they? If I go, I hope to be throwing down some fast times but I have no where near the safety stuff that I need for the times I want to run.
 

phoonTy

Truckless. For now.
Re: Tech at the track?

Will there be a tech inspection and if so how strict are they? If I go, I hope to be throwing down some fast times but I have no where near the safety stuff that I need for the times I want to run.

Bandimere is a full NHRA sanctioned track. There will be tech, and they will be strict.

From their website:

Race FAQ

Bandimere Speedway has compiled a number of frequently asked questions and answers to help you better understand the rules, safety and technical guidelines of drag racing and increase your enjoyment at our facility. If the following still doesn't answer your questions please contact us at jeff@bandimere.com.
Does Bandimere Speedway make the safety rules?

The National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) establishes rules for every type of vehicle that can run down the quarter-mile. All NHRA member tracks must follow these safety guidelines. Each year, a new NHRA Rulebook is published with revisions and updates. Rulebooks are available at the track for $10, and are highly recommended for anyone who is interested in participating more frequently or building a car.
I have a street car. What do I need to come out and test or race?

The basic items needed to pass tech inspection for the typical street car include good tires, a battery tie-down, radiator overflow catch-can, operable neutral-safety switch, seat belts, and a valid state driver's license or NHRA competition license is required for all participants. Don't forget to wear long pants, shoes, and a shirt!
What do I need to race my street bike?

Again, a valid state driver's license or NHRA competition license is required. NHRA approved helmet, denim or heavier pants, a leather jacket, leather gloves, and leather shoes that rise above the ankle. If the bike runs quicker than 10.99 or faster than 120 mph, additional requirements apply.
Do I need a helmet?

A helmet is one of the first safety items that you may need to purchase. Any vehicle that runs faster than 13.99 seconds, and all motorcycles and dune buggy-type cars, must have an approved helmet. Helmets must have a SNELL rating of K98, 2000 or 2005, as well as those with an SFI rating of 31.1, 31.2, 41.1, or 41.2. (SNELL 95 helmets are expired as of 1/1/2007).
Can I use nitrous oxide?

NHRA allows the use of nitrous oxide in bracket classes. Check the track's specific class rules to be certain, but in most cases you can use nitrous. Nitrous bottles must be vented to outside the driver compartment if it is mounted in the same compartment as the driver. All bottles must be stamped with a DOT - 1800 pound rating.
What are some of the major safety items I will need as I go quicker?

The following is a list of major items that are required as specific ET's and speeds. This list is a guideline, and we recommend consulting a current NHRA rulebook for specific details, specifications, and diagrams.
13.99 seconds

  • Drive Line Loop with slicks (13.00 with street tires)
  • Approved helmet
  • Roll bar in convertibles
  • SFI seat belts in convertibles
  • SFI 3.2A/1 Jacket in vehicles equiped with non-OEM nitrous, turbos or superchargers
11.49 seconds

  • SFI Flywheel / Clutch / Bellhousing Steel Valve Stems / Arm Restraints (open cars)
  • SFI 3.2A/1 approved jacket
  • Roll bar
  • SFI approved seat belts
10.99 seconds or Super Street

  • SFI Transmission Shield, or at 135 mph - Aftermarket axles
  • SFI Harmonic Balancer
  • Roll Cage with altered floor pans, or 135 mph - Window net required
  • Ignition cut-off on all bikes / snowmobiles that exceed 135 mph
9.99 seconds or Super Gas or 135 mph

  • NHRA Chassis Certification
  • NHRA Competition License
  • SFI jacket & pants 3.2A/5
  • SFI neck collar & gloves 3.3/1
  • SFI flexplate / flexplate shield
150 mph

  • Parachute
I will check with Shawn for more details, since he is our unofficial track liason. :tup:
 

sharkbait

New member
Re: Tech at the track?

thats a good problem to have. lol. one pass and you can go home with a smile on your face.
 

ed hess

race or get outta the way
Re: Tech at the track?

Something to think about: I met an Nhra tech director and he was talking about the safety rules and items. What he said was "each and every item is in the rule book because somebody either got hurt or died" Not preaching but go buy and add what your missing do it right and safely.

Think about it!

Ed <----- hit the wall head on and walked away
 

eviltwin

"junkyard syclone"
Re: Tech at the track?

Just do a couple 60 ft's & some 1/8 mile or less passes ,then let er rip!

That's my plan :lol:

If all my plans work out I'm gonna need a cage. I'm 6'6" and drive my Sy all the time. Not sure if I'm ready to give up that room yet.
 

tech9

ABS Expert
Re: Tech at the track?

They had to change the rules a few years back for corvettes, because they were factory already too fast to run without a cage, etc. I think most tracks require you to have a helmet no matter what.
 

sharkbait

New member
Re: Tech at the track?

That's my plan :lol:

If all my plans work out I'm gonna need a cage. I'm 6'6" and drive my Sy all the time. Not sure if I'm ready to give up that room yet.

holy cow. im 5'7" with heals on!:rotf:and my s10 is extended cab.
 

eviltwin

"junkyard syclone"
Re: Tech at the track?

holy cow. im 5'7" with heals on!:rotf:and my s10 is extended cab.

ya its a tight fit. I have to keep my hair short so it doesnt touch the headliner. With my helmet on, I cant fit without slouching with my knees pretty much against the dash. Now imagine that with bars framing the inside of the cab. But at the end, its all in good fun.
 

Windedv6

Ty n 10s
Re: Tech at the track?

ya its a tight fit. I have to keep my hair short so it doesnt touch the headliner. With my helmet on, I cant fit without slouching with my knees pretty much against the dash. Now imagine that with bars framing the inside of the cab. But at the end, its all in good fun.

You need a another Ty. I moved my TY seats back 4". It gives a ton of leg room.:tup:

John
 

eviltwin

"junkyard syclone"
Re: Tech at the track?

You need a another Ty. I moved my TY seats back 4". It gives a ton of leg room.:tup:

John

It's the head room I need the most. i just lean back like a gangsta in the Ty.

Nah, w/his fab skills he could add 4inches to the rear of the cab & nobody would know.:tup:

:2cents:

Thanks! I think an extended cab Sy would be my ticket!

How about a big sunroof... Kind of biased towards the drivers side?

Maybe I can do a bubble on the top like the older viper tops lol
 

Ry368

one mile = 5280 feet
Re: Tech at the track?

Will there be a tech inspection and if so how strict are they? If I go, I hope to be throwing down some fast times but I have no where near the safety stuff that I need for the times I want to run.
Not sure what your truck runs for times in Cali, but don't worry about much from tech at Bandimere unless your truck will run faster then an 11.50. The shut down area after the traps is uphill.......you'll be good!:D:tup:
 
Top