Cold Air Intake

mattw

For some time I've been wanting to put my air filter down behind the fog light so that it would suck in cool air as opposed to hot air from the engine compartment.

I didn't want to just put a naked filter down there and have it be exposed to everything that slings off the front tire so I was thinking I would build some sort of cold air box out of aluminum or fiberglass with openings facing forward to suck clean air from behind the bumper..

The other day I was using a pump sprayer to spray for weeds and it hit me that it would the the perfect size to put a K&N cone filter in..

So..... I cut the top off of the sprayer just a bit taller than the filter.

Then I milled out a piece of plastic from an old cutting board to be the new top:

IMG_3161.JPG

I drilled and tapped 4 6/32" holes up top to secure the lid. I also drilled two 3" holes in the side of the sprayer. I faced these holes forward in the truck so that it would pull cold air from just behind the fog-light area.

IMG_3162.JPG

Its hard to see but the bottom of it is just in front of the tire in this pic:

IMG_3164.JPG

Another shot looking up:

IMG_3169.JPG

Eventually I will modify the bumper bracket so that I can drop it down a bit lower but its good enough for now...

Here it is from the top. I did order a proper 4" to 3" silicone coupler/reducer but it hasn't arrived yet so I just used a lowes plumbing part for now..

IMG_3172.JPG

Jay92Ty

Donating Member
Re: Cold Air Intake

I will agree...that is a pretty cool setup. I myself have been wanting to do the same. Right now my filter sits under the battery tray location but been wanting to do some sort of box for it. Great idea, Thx for the post:tup:

mattw

Nice set up, but I have to ask...What front sway bar setup is that?

2nd gen 4x4 Blazer. I like it better than the 1st gen bars as it's thicker and it mounts with end links instead of those stupid plates under the A-arms. You either have to run 2nd gen lower A-Arms or weld mounting tabs to your arms.

DaveP

The weeds in your yard are rejoicing! No more sprayer to kill them with.

I like your continuous ingenuity and perseverance of new things. And taking the time to share them.

mattw

How much to have you do one for me? I like it....

Let me see if I can find the same pump sprayer again and how much it costs.. I'll get back to you.. Would you be interested in using a 3" or 4" filter?

cjg454ss

Have you measured the air temp with the new filter. After the intercooler I'd be shocked if the temp wasn't within 5 degrees of just sticking a filter on the turbo.

mattw

Have you measured the air temp with the new filter. After the intercooler I'd be shocked if the temp wasn't within 5 degrees of just sticking a filter on the turbo.

I have not but I am doing everything I can to try to lower under-hood temps.. I've a huge Griffin dual core 31"x19" radiator with two large electric puller fans. Plus a rather large air-air intercooler with a rather large scoop.. My engine temps stay low but my IAT temps and under hood temps in general get hotter than I like. So even if this only makes a 5 degree difference I'll take it... I'm thinking a turbo blanket and more exhaust wrap are next on my list..

Last edited:

cjg454ss

I have not but I am doing everything I can to try to lower under-hood temps.. I've a huge Griffin dual core 31"x19" radiator with two large electric puller fans. Plus a rather large air-air intercooler with a rather large scoop.. My engine temps stay low but my IAT temps and under hood temps in general get hotter than I like. So even if this only makes a 5 degree difference I'll take it... I'm thinking a turbo blanked and more exhaust wrap are next on my list..

The turbo blanket does the most. Commonly any thing in front of the turbo intake hurt hp. I