Intercooler bracket questions

While looking for a possible replacement for the intercooler to throttle body coupler, I spotted the listing at SportsMachine for the intercooler brackets. My truck only had the front bracket when I got it, and of course I had not idea that wasn't normal. Which explains the way too frequent cases of the coupler being pulled off the throttle body.

Elation turned to south, when I noted the listing was both in stock and backordered. I've reached out to them to see which it is. In case it is out of stock, I wondered if anyone has their truck apart and can measure the center bracket? Also where on the intake does the center bracket bolt? From the photo I would guess one of the upper intake bolts.

Hey there Dan, here is an image of my Sy when I was working on it a while ago. The middle inter cooler bracket sits just above the inner side of the valve cover. In this image its laying over the evap-breather.
IMG_5652[1].JPG

Hope this helps, unfortunately, I can't give you a measurement as I'm at work. But at the least its a frame of reference

It does help. The photo is a bit dark under the throttle body, but it does appear to use one of the upper intake bolts for the inner mount.

I have some flat stock and can take a stab at making one. It won't be any worse than not having one....

Jay92Ty

Donating Member
I was having that exact same problem..coupler kept coming off under boost. I ended up fabricating some. Definitely do’able.
Good luck!

2500avalanche

I wonder if this is the probem I am having. I have an ATR upper, and can only get to 14.8 lbs, not matter what I try.

Jay92Ty

Donating Member
Here is another pic. You can see the 2 on the outside bolted to the manifolds and the inside 1 bolted to the intake.

Attachments

• B9C853F5-A275-4C18-ACEB-210619F56661.jpeg
    B9C853F5-A275-4C18-ACEB-210619F56661.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 26
  • 86117636-3ACD-48A4-953C-CFE919907A32.jpeg
    86117636-3ACD-48A4-953C-CFE919907A32.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 26
I made one out of 2" flat stock as it was what I had on hand. Trimmed one end to about .75" wide, bolted it to the front upper intake bolt. Welded a nut on and called it a day. Might end up pulling it out and slotting the intake mount hole, as is could have been about .25" shorter, but the cooler doesn't budge when I pull on it, so it might be close enough. Still need to put a few miles on it to be sure...

And 15~ish does seem to be the point that it goes 'Pop' without the center brace...

One point that might not have been obvious. If you don't have the center bracket and hit 15 PSI, the clamps on the hose between the intercooler and intake do not have enough clamping force to keep the hose from being blown off the throttle body. Once that happens you won't make a single pound of boost until you open the hood and reconnect the hose.

So it does limit the amount of boost you can hit, but it does not 'recover' by itself. If you are not blowing the hose off the throttle body you are fighting a different issue...

2500avalanche

Ok, so I figured it out. The 2 clamps between the throttle body and the upper IC were tight, but also not getting tighter (stripped). Put 2 new clamps on and it goes up to 18 lbs. All seems good now

2500avalanche

Ok, so I went out and did some tuning. Here are the results on the ALDLdroid.
1st Run
Knock 3.5
BLM 132
Boost 19.2
AF 10.0

2nd run, Raised fuel perameters for full boost on TT, Lowered some of the spark advance.
Knock retard 1.1
BLM 130
Boost 17.8
A/F 9.9

wildphil

I Love My Ty's
I am not an expert on the matter. With alcohol injection and was told to shoot for 10.9 by people I trust. I am not sure what would be good if you are not injecting alky. I did a quick search about this just now and the one site I looked at suggested 10.9 to 10.8.

Last edited:

wildphil

I Love My Ty's
What is the spark advance set at now? Lower it a little more and see if the 1.1 knock goes away. The 1.1 is not bad but lower is better. The 10.0 AFR is to rich also. But you know that.

2500avalanche

Yeah, the rich thing I am battleing. It seams to always want to run rich under boost. Commanded or . FOr my second run it is 15.47 commanded with 15.1 being actual. both for spark advance

wildphil

I Love My Ty's
That is certainly not high spark advance. If the knock stays low at WOT, like 1 or lower. I would work on the AFR. Keep an eye on the knock to make sure it doesn't go up.