Leave in drive & rev higher or shift into overdrive 1/4 mile

It's just a six

Super Member
Just curious what most of you guys do when racing the 1/4 mile.
Do you over rev the engine a little @ the end of the 1/4 mile, or do you shift into overdrive?
I finish around 108 mph.. but I have always shifted into overdrive.
I do not know what rpm that would be in drive going 108 mph? :tup:

Thanks
 

jwaller

Evil Genius/SyTy Guru
Re: Leave in drive & rev higher or shift into overdrive 1/4 mile

depends on your build but if your running 108 I'd say if you have an aftermarket cam and good heads then leg it out in 3rd.
 

It's just a six

Super Member
Re: Leave in drive & rev higher or shift into overdrive 1/4 mile

My engine is all stock 100% not touched with.
So you are saying I should shift into overdrive.... correct?
 

wantingasy

Active member
Re: Leave in drive & rev higher or shift into overdrive 1/4 mile

It's just a six said:
My engine is all stock 100% not touched with.
So you are saying I should shift into overdrive.... correct?
It's all stock and you're going through at 108?!? You must have an upgraded turbo or something right?
 

blk00z28

Forced to by choice
Re: Leave in drive & rev higher or shift into overdrive 1/4 mile

I'm gonna assume you have a build like mine?

I shift into overdrive around the 1000' mark I think.
 

JSM

Active member
Re: Leave in drive & rev higher or shift into overdrive 1/4 mile

108 on stock motor/turbo is not impossible with tuning. Heck we fell just short of 110 with same.

What I have found is the stock motor/turbo combo has a peak torque/hp down in the low/mid 3k rpm range. So I try to shift to keep it in that range.

I think your better off to shift personally.
 

It's just a six

Super Member
Re: Leave in drive & rev higher or shift into overdrive 1/4 mile

Thanks,
I had a stock turbo when I run 108 mph. 12.29
AFPR.atr aux cooler ,atr intake ,255 pump, pitbull chip, stock trans,converter,stock downpipe,3 inch catback exhaust,MSD 6A, full weight Syclone, spare tire removed & jack,3/4 tank of gas.
No alky injection.
 

Don W.

Stab it and steer it
Re: Leave in drive & rev higher or shift into overdrive 1/4 mile

FWIW
I've been experimenting here as I work on my alky tune. Installed a TC lockup sw and gained 1 or 2 mph. Tried shifting to OD at 1000' and gained maybe another 1 mph. My previous best was 100.x now it's 103.x.
In D (not OD) I think I'm pushing the RPM's a bit and the engine seems flat up there (still tuning don't forget) so when I shift to OD it wants to pull again.
 

QUICK STORM

B.A.M.F. BMW Tech
Re: Leave in drive & rev higher or shift into overdrive 1/4 mile

Don W. said:
FWIW
I've been experimenting here as I work on my alky tune. Installed a TC lockup sw and gained 1 or 2 mph. Tried shifting to OD at 1000' and gained maybe another 1 mph. My previous best was 100.x now it's 103.x.
In D (not OD) I think I'm pushing the RPM's a bit and the engine seems flat up there (still tuning don't forget) so when I shift to OD it wants to pull again.

you in the 12s yet, Don?
 

Don W.

Stab it and steer it
Re: Leave in drive & rev higher or shift into overdrive 1/4 mile

QUICK STORM said:
you in the 12s yet, Don?

Nope...:( Still only low 13's. Speed is up though, 103. Working on getting the alky to work and a miss at WOT. Not sure if it's my ign or the alky causing the miss. Believe me you'll see it here when I make it, even it just one run at 12.99. :)
 

It's just a six

Super Member
Re: Leave in drive & rev higher or shift into overdrive 1/4 mile

Don W. said:
Nope...:( Still only low 13's. Speed is up though, 103. Working on getting the alky to work and a miss at WOT. Not sure if it's my ign or the alky causing the miss. Believe me you'll see it here when I make it, even it just one run at 12.99. :)

Have you gapped your plugs smaller? If you still got a miss?
Ohm out your pug wires also. Might have a bad one?
Ice down your intercooler before you run,if you have not already.
Leave a bag of ice on the intercooler when you race, just make sure it does not leak.

Pretty soon is the time to race when it's nice & cold & you should get into the 12's, goodluck!!!!
 

Don W.

Stab it and steer it
Re: Leave in drive & rev higher or shift into overdrive 1/4 mile

Haven't had the plugs out in a while. Set to .027 if I remember right. Miss is gone. (To much FP with the alky.) Maybe go to code 59 tune next year. 3" DP coming, I have the cat. Planning on 3" from turbo back. After parts are installed, planing on having someone look at it in the spring to help with tuning. Only 3 more race days this year, no 12's (yet!) but had great fun, won a few, watched my racer friends win a few. Short of winning the best part is meeting up with the "guys". Worst? Loosing in the first round. (That's only because nothin' broke yet:rotf: )
 
Top