Subaru STI sorta race.

It's just a six

Super Member
As I was tuning my Sy today trying to get rid of some more knock retard by running some home brew Xylene octane booster I saw a STI on the freeway white w/a huge aftermarket muffler in the back. Now we were going 65 to start off with & we rolled into it going up to bout 115. He seemed to be falling behind the whole time.
Don't these cars make 325 HP? I thought he would have blown me away having that much HP maybe he was not on it all the way? Any ways was not close at all.
Maybe it was a fake STI w/those STI stickers on it w/a S.N.
My Sy seems to be running really good w/the 12 CM housing installed.. good top end pulled compared to the 8 cm I had tried earlier.
 
Last edited:

Jimmy

Banned
Re: Subaru STI sorta race.

They have 300 horsepower.

One time,I had a kid in a STI whip in front of me before a right hand turn,so when the light turned green I jumped into the center lane,flew by him,then let him eat my exhaust fumes. :tup:
 

JB's Red Ty

Still Green
Re: Subaru STI sorta race.

Most decently modded/tuned Sti's are running mid to low 12's (check out NASOIC)...
However, the majority of them out there are just bolt-on kings, no tune, and black rear bumpers cuz theyre running so poorly. My 2.0L will easily pull on a stock STi, and I am short a half liter only beacuse it's tuned.

Be wary of well tuned subies/Evo's (from a roll.)
 

It's just a six

Super Member
Re: Subaru STI sorta race.

I saw a WRX at 2700 FT track & ran 6-8 passes 13.2
then all the sudden it ran a 12.3. .......Nitrous????
 
Re: Subaru STI sorta race.

A guy I worked with had a STI when I first got my Sy and wanted to race. Even with my truck running like crap at the time I pulled on him all the way through the race (not sure how far we went) it was so much fun spanking that thing. We got back to the shop and all the guys were waiting, I just smiled and he had to eat crow for about a week :rotf:
 

lightspeed240

truck it!
Re: Subaru STI sorta race.

I have to play devils advocate because I just bought a new STI. My STI is stock (for now,) but it would have romped my syclone when it was chipped with the stock turbo.
STI's are the relative syclones of the imports. AWD, tons of torque, and they run better from a dig than a roll, unless they are really built. I know guys with just tuning and exhaust (no other mods) run very low 8's in the 18/th mile, with low 1.7/high 1.6 sec 60' times. Ultimately, a built syclone will 60' better than a built STI, but ive seen very low 1.6's on radials on mildly built (but still stock motor) STI's.
 

MikeRenz

not stock
Re: Subaru STI sorta race.

lightspeed240 said:
Ultimately, a built syclone will 60' better than a built STI, but ive seen very low 1.6's on radials on mildly built (but still stock motor) STI's.

what are you basing this on? My best 60' in my STi was 1.767 all stock. I would bet a lot of money that a built sti will 60' as good if not better than a built syty. lighter and a better base suspension.
 

gjp

another post whore
Re: Subaru STI sorta race.

My friend has a sti and always said it had 400hp. He spent the best 500$ on it and had it dynoed tuned. Now it has 365 whp and flies. Before it would keep up with my sy (i had him up to the first 70mph). It will easly beat my sy now. The little thing halls a$$. But he spent total of 40+k on it. So I have another 25k in mods to catch up.LOL. Tunning made a big difference.
 

lightspeed240

truck it!
Re: Subaru STI sorta race.

MikeRenz said:
what are you basing this on? My best 60' in my STi was 1.767 all stock. I would bet a lot of money that a built sti will 60' as good if not better than a built syty. lighter and a better base suspension.
The quickest 60' time I could find online for any wrx or imprezza was 1.45, but that was an 8-second Pro car built off of a 1999 jdm model. The fast current-gen WRX or STI I could find was a 1.50, and that was quite a bit lower than the 2nd fastest I could find (1.58.) Ive seen timeslips for Hoover at 1.35 sec for the 60'. Ive seen several others in the 1.4's. If you know of a scoobie that can cut mid 1.3 60' times, please enlighten me. Otherwise I have to believe that ultimately syclones will 60' better.
 

MikeRenz

not stock
Re: Subaru STI sorta race.

i don't follow the subaru world at all...i was just curious what you were basing your #s on
 

Vaders Sy

Donating Member
Re: Subaru STI sorta race.

I had an '05 before my M3. I raced the STi when the Syclone blew a hole in the front transfer case. My STi had a UTEC computer. It ran very consistant 13.2X's to 13.4X's depending on temperature. The fastest 1/4 time was 13.16 @ 103 MPH. 60' times were in the 1.7 to low 1.8's. When I removed the computer when I sold the car, I couldn't believe the difference the UTEC made.

The STi is not that strong from 60 MPH to XXX. It needs to be launched to put the hurt on anything. If you're a man, try them from a dig.
 

VermontTy

Support Our Troops
Re: Subaru STI sorta race.

Renz, didn't you run your STi about a bizillion times in a row on a scorching hot day, and ran in the mid 12's time after time?
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Subaru STI sorta race.

It was mid 13's, but I was impressed. I thought for sure, I was going smell a burning clutch.
 

JB's Red Ty

Still Green
Re: Subaru STI sorta race.

I have the WRX Wagon, which I have to agree is the Ty of the import world.
Great sleeper, and it's fun to beat stuff in a wagon.

One thing that is nice is the following (although mostly stupid) has made the aftermarket great.

I am running a UTEC also (which is a great piggyback system), 3" turbo back, equal length headers, up pipe, Big TMIC, Alky (SMC) and i tune myself....its a blast. Not a 1/4 king, but will beat almost anything stock.

Jeremy schooled me from a dig, but I am no 1/4 mile racer (and his truck is bada$$), but stock...I am pretty sure I'll crush...I need to have the wife drive the TY, just to see...
 

TurboJunk

questionable
Re: Subaru STI sorta race.

MikeRenz said:
if your sy was stock then the kid w/ the sti didn't know how to drive
a good friend of mine has a STI. full exhaust ( header etc. ) no cat and Utech computer. with 11.1 afr 20 psi 12.6 at 107 1.6 60ft.

it pulls upstairs but a good running sy can stay out in front until 145. i was able to stay with him with my stock tyclone not in great running shape.
JB's Red Ty said:
I have the WRX Wagon, which I have to agree is the Ty of the import world.
Great sleeper, and it's fun to beat stuff in a wagon.
I am running a UTEC also (which is a great piggyback system), 3" turbo back, equal length headers, up pipe, Big TMIC, Alky (SMC) and i tune myself....its a blast. Not a 1/4 king, but will beat almost anything stock.

Jeremy schooled me from a dig, but I am no 1/4 mile racer (and his truck is bada$$), but stock...I am pretty sure I'll crush...I need to have the wife drive the TY, just to see...
u also have a 03 WRX, the STI with a real driver could be as fast as yours with work. also the wagons are not that much heavier then a sti
 

MikeRenz

not stock
Re: Subaru STI sorta race.

TurboJunk said:
it pulls upstairs but a good running sy can stay out in front until 145. i was able to stay with him with my stock tyclone not in great running shape.
i don't believe that at all. If your tyclone wasn't running well....what's that mean? You're running a high 13? I pulled on a 12.6second sy in my sti with no problem from a 40mph roll. I know it'd beat my in the 1/4 no prob. Just shows how badly sytys pull when already moving.
 
Top