80e donor vehicle

Quickstop [UK]

Combating adversyty.
Re: 80e donor vehicle

The long shafts are only $40 on eBay. I still have a trans to rebuild this summer so I might buy one and swap it in so it engages fully.

At the very least, finding out how hard it is with a cutting wheel would be useful. I too remember GB talking about that.

fivetodrive

CRISPY

When I talked to George directly when I was in Ohio, he told me that this was the best shaft. He said pull the pan of the donor, look for parts in the pan and if none, just cut the end and put it in! If you have time add the shift kit which just requires a few changes to the valve body...

fivetodrive

CRISPY

That thingy on the output shaft slides off and then you can mark on the output shaft where you want to cut it!

sparkwire

Donating Member

It's been 10 years , If anyone has the George Blake install instructions that was included with his GP conversion it would have that info.

Last edited by a moderator:

VernonS

That lokar dipstick sucks btw. GM factory dipstick tube and dipstick part #s 15832205 and 15183801 I have them on my 93 lsx 4l80 sonoma and they fit without any issues at all. I beleive they are cheaper than the lokar one too

Quickstop [UK]

Combating adversyty.

If I read you right, you are talking about cutting it flush with the billet adaptor, yes? The install guide says the shaft should be 5/8" outside, not flush. I still think there is another 1" of engagement in the transfer case input shaft potentially but you will need to verify.

If you cut it flush, you'll be 5/8" short and have too little engagement on the transfer case. If you have it 5/8", it will be as mentioned in the instructions. If you cut it so that the outpust shaft sticks out 1" from the adaptor, I think you'll be fine.

Does that make sense?

sparkwire

Donating Member

those instructions are for a stock input shaft re splined to fit the stock 4472 trans case. not the 32 spline input shaft. the 32 spline input extends into the adapter. if you put the 2 input shafts side by side you will see what I mean.

Attachments

• F34E3843-EC09-4430-94FB-57594370ED60_zpsvafb40qo.jpg
    F34E3843-EC09-4430-94FB-57594370ED60_zpsvafb40qo.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

tunerpike

Donating Member

Guys... an older thread that I meant to update. I was able to cut the output shaft of the 80e with no issue with a band saw.