Black Cladding Paint

wildphil

I Love My Ty's
I did some searching. But never found the correct answer. I have a cladding piece on my Black Ty that Needs repainted the factory black color. I know the black is a low gloss. Anyone have this info?

Adam#0213

This truck is awesome!!
Re: Black Cladding Paint

Call gm dealership they have a service bulletin on paint color and prep for repaint.If no one puts anything up by tomorrow I will look up the information for you

wildphil

I Love My Ty's

Call gm dealership they have a service bulletin on paint color and prep for repaint.If no one puts anything up by tomorrow I will look up the information for you

Thanks Adam,

I think that I have found what you were referring to. Dig posted this in a old post that I found.

turbodig 07-02-2008 10:33 PM
Re: Cladding Paint Mystery Solved!

Here's what I have per the factory TSB... Maybe the numbers have changed?

This is TSB dated April 1992 92-1073(A)

Note: I'm paraphrasing some of this to avoid typing.

1) Inspect part for damage. Remove from vehicle if necessary
2) Wash with soap and water
3) Solvent wipe with DX-330 Grease and wax remover or equivalent
4) Repair damage and featheredge surrounding area with 240-320 grit paper.
5) For Gray molding: Apply one wet coat of DP Epoxy Primer.
For black molding: Apply one wet coat of DP-90 Epoxy Primer
If additional filling is needed, apply 2 coats of K-36 Acrylic Urethane Primer Surfacer
Finish sand with 400 grit, and re-apply 1 coat of epoxy primer

6) Apply 2-3 coats of K-36 or K-200 Primer surfacer mixed with K-248 Flexible hardener.
7) After primer surfacer is dry, block sand with 400-600 grit. Clean with DX-330 grease and wax remover.

8) For Gray cladding: Apply 2-3 coats Deltron Acrylic Urethane DAU 35552 mixed with DX-369 Flexible additive.

For Black cladding: Apply 2-3 coats of DDL9862 low gloss black paint. (Note: there's no mention of flexible additive)

9) Allow to dry for 16 hours or force dry 40 minutes at 140 degrees.

Both this, and TSB 92-10-41 reference DDL 9862 as the refinish color for black cladding.
It's quite possible that both of these were superseded sometime in 93, but they will give you the correct original color.

It comes out really flat... you'll think the color is wrong, until you apply a good wax to it.

TSB quotes 9 hours labor for warranty work on these FWIW.

I can not find this paint. Online anyway.

Slyclone

In my searching I recall the product being a matte black flat finish. Product was offered by company SEM and it was a 3 digit code if I am correct. ?

littleblackpsycho

Donating Member

I thought it was plain old GM bumper paint in matte available at almost any parts store. Sem should match perfect.

wildphil

I Love My Ty's

I thought it was plain old GM bumper paint in matte available at almost any parts store. Sem should match perfect.

It may be. I may just have the painter take a piece of cladding in and have it matched when he buys the material.

Do any of you have problems with your cladding getting a chalky film on your cladding a few days after cleaning? If so can anything be done to stop it.

Mephisto

These trucks are cursed

What I'm wondering is if the cladding can ever be brought back to look like stock even if the previous owner dorked it up by waxing the hell out of it? Solvents maybe?

The cladding in this video is down right delicious, and how I've always wanted mine to look. Even on my old Syclone... never happened.:(

https://youtu.be/4GUWOmC8f84