Dash Cap Install

wildphil

I Love My Ty's
I have not posted many of the things that I have done to improve my trucks. I think this looks much better that just putting a cover on a cracked dash. And the dash on my Sy was in very poor condition. I didn't clean any of the surfaces yet. Because I am still working on things and will take care of clean-up when I am finished.

If you ever want to remove your dash I suggest you take a dremal tool and cut slots that will allow you to remove the dash

You have to use a dremal and do a little trimming on the gauge surround. You can see a little in this pic.

And a pic of my radio install. I like the way it turned out.

wildphil

I Love My Ty's
Re: Dash Cap Install

where did you get the dash cap from, and how much was it?[/QUOTE

This is a link to the place I got it. This is the dark gray color without side vents. They also carry covers with pre-cut vent holes. I got with side vents and they worked OK. But the width was slightly wider than I would have made them and I had to trim length to fit. I believe a better job can be done if the side vents were completely trimmed from a cover with no pre-cut holes for them. I just noticed that I have one side installed pointing the wrong direction. That is a easy fix.

You have to pull the side vents out of the old dash and install in the dash cover. Mine were just held by silicone. Pretty easy to remove.

I installed LED dash lights while I was at it.

http://coverlaymfg.com/i-11360518-coverlay-18-639-dgr-dash-cover.html

This is a lot better price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/311612175027?item=311612175027&vectorid=229466&rmvSB=true

Last edited:

Brassmonkey

Cruzin' Mel Man

Did you remove any of the old dash padding for the install?

Does the new cover come with padding?

wildphil

I Love My Ty's

Did you remove any of the old dash padding for the install?

Does the new cover come with padding?

You don't have to remove any padding from the old dash. And the cover has no padding. It comes with a tube of silicone and you glue it to the old dash.

I removed my dash for the install. But I don't see any need to do so. But make sure you remove the side vents to install in the cover. My vents were just held with silicone. And I would cut the holes it the cap for access to the top dash bolts before gluing it down.

wildphil

I Love My Ty's

Is is very close. Could even be from the fading of the original dash.

But it is not noticeable. The dash area has several shades of gray already. So it looks like should.

Anarchy99

That looks really good. I will probably pick one of those up for the ole typhoon here in the near future to clean up the cracked look.

wildphil

I Love My Ty's

Thanks guys. I think it looks pretty good. Not as good as a new dash. But they are not an option any longer.

The dash on the Sy was in very poor condition. I had to silicone part of the old dash back down so I would have a solid base to attach the cap to.

Priceless

This looks really good. I always wondered how they looked. I'm gonna have to do this, just so i can stop hearing my daughter telling me to fix the crack.

Thanks for the pics.