EGR removal

syclomatic

Syclone #2481
I got my truck about two months ago, and just now relized that i had a egr removal plate, since it needs a new gasket(because it was backfiring, different prob) anyways, i was reading that i needed a chip, or the stock chip would set a code at highway speeds. what do i need to do! will this cause any harm?
 

Black Knight

I Glow Therefore I am
Re: EGR removal

If it's not throwing a code now, then someone more then likely has already put in a chip or reburned the stock one to fix it. No, not having your EGR wont hurt anything, do get the leak fixed though.
 

syclomatic

Syclone #2481
Re: EGR removal

Black Knight said:
If it's not throwing a code now, then someone more then likely has already put in a chip or reburned the stock one to fix it. No, not having your EGR wont hurt anything, do get the leak fixed though.
I went and ordered a new gasket today at the small town autoshop. so it will be fixed tomoro. The check engine light does come on once and a while(im guessing this is the prob, hopefully), where would i go to get the chip reburned.
 

blk00z28

Forced to by choice
Re: EGR removal

If it comes on every once in a while then its probably not throwing the egr code. That might be something else. On the gasket part. Make sure you put some gasket maker (in the tube) on there as well to add a little more thickness and protection to it blowing out.

Do a search for "tuners."(or something along those lines..) None of us point the finger at one person or another when it comes to the chips in our trucks and the tuners on this board.. We support all of them equally enough not to do that.
icon_wink.gif
:tup:
 

Vertigo

Addicted to Turbo AWD
Re: EGR removal

Perhaps this is more of a comment for the tuning/chipping forum but I feel it fits in this thread.

EGR gasses are designed to enter the combustion chamber at low load (ie highway driving) to displace the amount of O2 and thus Fuel required for a complete burn. The result is better fuel economy and there are also emmissions benefits.

I'm not a proponent for one over the other (I run EGR delete in my Talon) but when disabling the CEL with a chip, do most tuners use a Lean Burn code to compensate? I'm sure no one has paid much attention to mileage differences but in theory...
 

Black Knight

I Glow Therefore I am
Re: EGR removal

I think it was Hood that was doing a lot of testing and looking into messing with the EGR to get different milages, if he doesn't post in here you might contact him.
 
Re: EGR removal

syclomatic said:
I went and ordered a new gasket today at the small town autoshop. so it will be fixed tomoro. The check engine light does come on once and a while(im guessing this is the prob, hopefully), where would i go to get the chip reburned.

There's an easy way to see if the code is EGR related.

Sportmachines.com ALDL info
 

Flyin Ryan

hated cuz he drives fords
Re: EGR removal

syclomatic said:
This works? I figured this would kill something in my electrical system.

This will work and won't cause any harm to your electrical system
 

SY756

New member
Re: EGR removal

syclomatic said:
This works? I figured this would kill something in my electrical system.

If you're talking about pulling the codes....then yes, it works.
 

motorhead

New member
Re: EGR removal

midnightbluS10 said:
As long as you don't start the truck, everything will be fine. Ask Jimmy.
Ok.gif

shouldnt be a problem starting the truck with A&B jumped. just puts the ecm in field service mode and the light will flash continuously. what happened in jimmys truck?
 

George Blake

DONATING MEMBER
Re: EGR removal

That is a sore subject. No, do NOT drive the truck around. Not worth the risk....unless you want to rebuild your engine anyway.
motorhead said:
shouldnt be a problem starting the truck with A&B jumped. just puts the ecm in field service mode and the light will flash continuously. what happened in jimmys truck?
 
Top