Flow circuit of the Sy-Ty Intercooler?

otis

New member
I'm adding the Sy - Ty factory Garrett liquid-cooled intercooler to a 4 cylinder turbo project.

How does the water circuit flow in the original design? I'm trying to figure the flow direction to connect the two pipes that run between the "upper intercooler" and the "lower heat exchanger".

That is, if I run a pipe from the exit port of the electric water pump (ie. the cold water side), which of the two ports on the upper intercooler do I connect that pipe to? The one that sticks out at a 45 degree angle, or the one that sticks out at the 90 degree angle?

Thanks.
 

sy538

New member
that shouldnt make any difference, but i would have the pump pull the water out of IC and push into the cche so that you can take the cap off while the pump is running. alot of people say to have the pump pull out of the cche and push into the IC so that the cooler water is always flowing through the pump, but a syty is very difficult to get the air out of the IC system.

search and you should find several good topics about this.
 

turbodog

Donating Member
The stock style pump is a centrifugal pump, and needs inlet pressure to operate (technical term is 'net positive suction head'.... no, really.). So, you want the pump pulling from the bottom of the heat exchanger, and pushing coolant to the upper IC. The coolant then flows from the upper IC to the top port of the heat exchanger.
 

otis

New member
Yes, I know it needs to pull water from the bottom of the lower intercooler and then push it up to the upper intercooler.

But when the water gets pushed from the lower to the upper intercooler, which of the two ports on the upper intercooler should the water actually be pushed to? That is, which of the two ports on the upper intercooler is the "intake" port, and which one is the "exit" that returns to the heat exchanger under the car?

What I want to know is, does the line from the electric pump at the very bottom of the system go to the TOP port on the upper intercooler, or does it go to the BOTTOM port on the upper intercooler?

Thanks. I'm thinking it might not make any difference, but if it does, please let me know!
 

turbodog

Donating Member
The exploded diagram in the parts book shows the inlet on the upper IC (from the IC pump) is the top connection, and the bottom connection is the return to the CCHE. I doubt it makes a huge difference in this case, but PAS probably had a reason for doing it. HTH!
 

InvisiBill

Active member
Going with the concept of heat rising, I hooked the input to the bottom of the CAC. That should also force any air in the system upwards as well. The only problem with this setup is that if you're low on coolant, it won't be able to flow out the top of the CAC. And with the overflow tube to the radiator overflow, it's common for IC coolant to overflow, and not get sucked back in properly, leading to low IC coolant levels.
 
Top