fuel pump

too many toys

IM LOVIN IT
can you get replacement gas tank parts , I am replacing the stock fuel pump and in trying to get the frozen lines apart they kinked as the the fitting that is supose to spin doesnt can i get that whole assembly or should i just put a sump in the tank and run a external pump and just leave the old pump in the tank for the fuel gauge.
 

Black Knight

I Glow Therefore I am
Re: fuel pump

Shoot I'd sump it in a heart beat if your considering it!!! To do away with the cutout problem, go for it!!!
 

too many toys

IM LOVIN IT
Re: fuel pump

sucky part is i just bought a 255 and new fuel filter for stock location . If i was to sump it could i just use the factory feed and return lines?
 

Black Knight

I Glow Therefore I am
Re: fuel pump

Well their locations would obviously have to be modified, but I don't see why not, maybe someone who has done it can say different.

See if you can send the pump and filter back for a credit towards the new stuff, or just put them up for sale on here someone will definitly need them you should be able to recoop most of your money.
 

wantingasy

Active member
Re: fuel pump

You'll have a brand new pump for the fuel gauge :tup: Also a backup in case the external quits working :rotf:
 

too many toys

IM LOVIN IT
Re: fuel pump

Got the tank out and assembly didnt kink it as bad as i thought bent it back and massaged it back round again moved away from tank and used a map gas torch and heated the fittings up and they loosened right up. SHITTY part is the truck is new to me and i dont know what all has or has not been done to it but it already had a 255 in it ,replaced it anyway :rant:
 

Daman

Member
Re: fuel pump

If you search, you should find a website that sells replacement fuel sending units for around $50-$60.
 

too many toys

IM LOVIN IT
Re: fuel pump

Thanks i ordered a fresh sending unit for the next time i have to drop the tank-o-FUN
do the stock tanks have a plastic slosh box in them , mine does?
 

SY2932

Administrator
Re: fuel pump

too many toys said:
Thanks i ordered a fresh sending unit for the next time i have to drop the tank-o-FUN
do the stock tanks have a plastic slosh box in them , mine does?

Yes they do but they don't help much if you launch with under a quarter tank of gas (or more if your truck is lowered)...
 

BacDoc

New member
Re: fuel pump

How big of a pain is dropping the tank on the Sy's?


Would it be easier to remove the bed? :)
 

Black Knight

I Glow Therefore I am
Re: fuel pump

I just did mine 3 weeks ago, and everyone says pull the bed. I got under there and was like screw that, dropped the tank, put in the pump, and put the tank back in about a hour. Luckily none of my lines weren't rusted. To each his own, it just drop it, but...

Hey this is a 1,000 posts for me beeyach's!
Peace out!
 

BacDoc

New member
Re: fuel pump

I was kinda joking about taking the bed off. i think I need to drop the tank so I can clen out any old gas that may be sitting in there.
 

SY2932

Administrator
Re: fuel pump

Why drop the tank when you could empty a full tank in a few minutes with the fuel pump via the fuel pump test connector and the test port on the fuel rail :dunno: ?
 

jjorgensen52

NHSTE - I'm the only one!
Re: fuel pump

SY2932 said:
Why drop the tank when you could empty a full tank in a few minutes with the fuel pump via the fuel pump test connector and the test port on the fuel rail :dunno: ?
Avoid pumping all that old crud through the lines ? I'd just drop the tank... I can do it in about 30 mins in my Ty, and I assume the Sy's aren't much worse :2cents:
 

Mtn Z

Donating Member
Re: fuel pump

BacDoc said:
I hear the bolts are a pain in the arse to get loose. I'll find out this week.


Depends on what you use. I just hit all of mine with this little electric impact gun I had and they all came right out. Bumper bolts too. There was only one bolt on my bed that seemed like it needed the impact. All the rest could have been done with hand tools. I didn't even try loosening them up over night with spray or anything . I removed the bed but noticed later that tilting would have worked fine. It was still easy.
 
Top