FUEL Tuning 101

SBNova

Re: FUEL Tuning 101

I like that you can change any graph to anything you want at any time. I usually set up the "dash" to display some values, and the graph to show me the meat of what I want to review. The downside is the scrolling for sure. Its a pain to go back just a frame or two. I have been double clicking the pause button to advance one frame and it works OK. When I get to a spot where I want to see more than the four graphs, I keep it paused and look at the dash or values, and just click it one frame at a time while it all sinks in. I have an autoprom so TP RT is just awesome to me. The only problem is- with $58 you cant scan AND emulate at the same time. Evan at that, is sure is nice to use one program for everything. I think I am gonna step up and buy the cable for extra inputs so I can easily log my WB too.

As for DM, I tried it two years ago on my vette. With a known good laptop and know good cable, I had a hard time connecting. As a matter of fact, I dont think I ever connected. I pretty much gave up on DM after that.

ashman

------

i don't think you'll ever see the wholesale adoption of TP the way you do with DM. when someone ask, hey, mind look at my DM file, people jump all over it because you can look at the "signature" Map, RPM, 02mv, on the graph and tell..almost instantly...if something is amiss. you can't do that with TP. and the export to excel to graph is nice...DM does it also...but it's another step that shouldn't be required. what it needs is an export to DM :)

cvcsmkr

Donating Member

in your first post you say to use f31e for idle ve changes, what the difference between f29c and f31e?
thanks

jollygreen1964

Donating Member

I am new to this tuning even if I am anb old geiser, I can tune my 94 impala ss in the cars comtuter, OBD I,but how do we tune arounds the chip in our trucks? I assume we need a laptop and some type of program, does it reprogram the chip or do we have a piggy back chip, please explain, thanks

sytyguy

Moderated User

jollygreen1964 said:
I am new to this tuning even if I am anb old geiser, I can tune my 94 impala ss in the cars comtuter, OBD I,but how do we tune arounds the chip in our trucks? I assume we need a laptop and some type of program, does it reprogram the chip or do we have a piggy back chip, please explain, thanks

We have OBD1 in our trucks and must either reprogram the stock memcal, piggyback to the stock memcal, or emulate through the stock memcal. Price goes up in that order as well. To reprogram the stock memcal all you need is an eraser, burner, and software. To piggyback, you'll need a carrier (Moates, G3, Ultimate, etc...), a burner (and possibly eraser if you don't use EEPROMS), and software. To emulate, you'll need a carrier (as listed above), emulator (Ostrich, AutoProm, Romulator, etc...), and software.

You'll obviously need a laptop or a desktop PC and a REALLY long extension cord. :D

Do some searching and you'll find lots of good links on how to get started.

HTHs

Hood

ashman

------

this was posted over at 3rdgen but, it's pretty informative and even has some VE calcultion spreadsheets that can probably be converted for our apps.

http://redhardsupra.blogspot.com/

for you guys that want to get into the tuning aspects of our trucks...you CAN'T read enough! as your tuning endeavors increase the things you've read in the past will begin to make more sense.

Syclone'D916

Syclone Owner #2414

So when checking FP with the vac line off do you plug the line or leave it open.I've done it before just having a blonde moment now.

Luke

Fish sticks SUCK !!!

Syclone'D916 said:
So when checking FP with the vac line off do you plug the line or leave it open.I've done it before just having a blonde moment now.

plug it