I cant get my locking tonneau cover to unlock!!! ---

alwayscode390

pppssssshhhhhtttttttttttt
I havent opened my tonneau cover in about 9 months, and I go out today and the damn thing wont open.

s10rearxs2.jpg




It has a lock in the center of the rear, and has bars connected to the lock ... that move the clips that hold it down on the sides of the bed, when the key turns. I am guessing that the clips got rusty and wont release, and I am scared I will snap off the key in the lock. It sounds like it wants to work, but it needs more force to "break it free" from the corrosion. Should I try to use a screwdriver so I can get the force it needs, or will it not turn because it wont deactivate the locking mechanism? I am fine with replacing the lock, because I have no way into my bed right now, lol ... it has a lip holding the tailgate shut too.

I cant even find an example of my style to show what it looks like up -- in an internet search, I guess its because of the problems I am dealing with , so they quit making it, lol. I am bummin' out ... thanks for your advice ---
 

SY2932

Administrator
Re: I cant get my locking tonneau cover to unlock!!! ---

If it's the lock itself that is hanging up, hose the inside of the lock cylinder with penetrating oil and push the key in and out several times to work the lubricant into the pins. Then try to rotate the lock. That has worked for me every time I have had a lock stick. If it's something else, you are going to have to get "creative" at getting it open without damaging the truck.
 
Last edited:

gmc6

New member
Re: I cant get my locking tonneau cover to unlock!!! ---

looks like you might have to break the lock to get it open, but first try spraying some wd-40 into the lock to see if it might be the lock that is partially stuck.
 

T-Bone

Active member
Re: I cant get my locking tonneau cover to unlock!!! ---

Have another person try to turn the key while you hit the rear corners with the palm of your hand. I doubt your issue is internal to the lock device itself but not completely ruling that out. I am guessing it is located where the lock studs exit the sides of the hard cover and latch near, or under, the bed rails. Even hoods will do this if left alone for months and if one pulls the latch while another taps the hood, up it will come.....just a thought.
 

alwayscode390

pppssssshhhhhtttttttttttt
Re: I cant get my locking tonneau cover to unlock!!! ---

Thanks guys, I just tried the wd-40 and will let it sit for awhile. Then I will try the other suggestion of hitting the top of the cover on the sides while someone else turns the key :) ---
 

bezerk

New member
Re: I cant get my locking tonneau cover to unlock!!! ---

pics of cover? seems like a nice cover!
 

alwayscode390

pppssssshhhhhtttttttttttt
Re: I cant get my locking tonneau cover to unlock!!! ---

The only pics to show it are posted....the one in the signature/avatar/and the first post. I dont know what brand it is ---
 

SY2932

Administrator
Re: I cant get my locking tonneau cover to unlock!!! ---

Glad that to hear that you didn't have to do anything "crazy" to get it open :cool:!
 
Top