popped tranny line off 2nd time.....

ed hess

race or get outta the way
The tranny line at the top of the radiator was cut so i could install aa tee n the line for the temp gauge. I used rubber line that comes with a tranny cooler. !st the upper end of the rubber popped off after my 1st trip to the track this past summer. Double clamped it. I was lucky to be close to my buddys shop when it happend.
Last nite as i left my shop the rubber line popped off the other end which was only single clamped. I gotta change this to AN fittings and ss braided steel line Before this fails and i am not lucky to be where i can get a quick fix without damage to the trannny ( i wonder if i havent porked it allready from this).

Anyone know the thread size of the fitting for the tranny line at the top of the radiator? Do i need a standard flare fitting or an Inverted flare?

I assume the steel line thats oem is 1/4 OD? or is it 3/16 or 5/16 OD?


Ya know that red crap really makes a mess of your truck when this kinda thing happens. I drove 7 blocks before i knew it blew this time. Needed 5 quarts. stuck line back on and crawled back to shop
 
B

Blake

Guest
Do you have the ends of the pipe flared that the hose is running off of? You must have a flair on it and push it on at least 1 1/2" and double clamp it. I've been running mine for months and no pops or leaks but the tubing that my rubber hose goes onto is flaired. I've only seen people pop off hoses when they just cut the tubing and stick the hoses on. Too much pressure there for that.
Blake
 

ed hess

race or get outta the way
yeah, of course i did it the wrong way. I know that! But a bubble flare tool cost an arm and a leg.
Are you saying a regular flare tool and double clamp and im good to go?

What sizes are they?

ed
 
B

Blake

Guest
Now its letting me post, I'll go ahead and put the email I sent you here in case it helps someone else.

Yeah, your good with just a 45 degree double flare. I've seen entire sets for less than $20 on sale. $25 normally. That bubble flare only applies to the new GM fuel lines.
You can probably rent a set from Autozone for nothing(tool loan program). Just make sure you cut the line square with a pipe cutter. It's NOT gonna be easy to slide the hose over the flare(not supposed to be). Push while working the hose in a circular fashion(don't rotate it)and get it on 1 1/2" to 2". Then put your hose clamps on. When you use hose clamps you just barely want the rubber to ever so slightly buldge throught the holes or slits in the clamp. One clamp is usually plenty but 2 is a guaranteed no leak. Especially if you are running higher than stock pressures.
The lines are 3/8 or 5/16. Can't remember which right off hand but the kit will have both sizes in it. When you clamp it, the clamp will have almost the same if not smaller diameter than the flare. Impossible for the hose to come off unless you get it too tight and break the clamp or cut your hose. Make sure you use tranny or fuel hose. That will be the only stuff strong enough to handle the higher pressures your tranny(maybe modded)puts out.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!!
Blake
 

ed hess

race or get outta the way
blake
i found apost where erue was trying to do the smae thing. Myclone told him he did this with some ss lines and some adpters to adaprt from 5/16 to an-6. Only problem was he never told erue i the topis what part no's he used.
So i started a new topic with myclone and erues name in the title. Quite a few people have had problems with rubber hose i found when searching. My tranny has all b&m internals and i know the pressures are high, especially when using 3rd gear instead of od. Shifts hard as hell and chirps 2nd.

long term i just want metal. Lasts longer than rubber. Sure you understand the reasoning for this. escpecially near a heat source like the turbo. Infact the hose doesnt feel as flexible as it did 6 months ago.
ed
 
B

Blake

Guest
Oh yeah, I understand. You can't get it anywhere near the turbo. I'll check the other topic. I've heard stainless is kind of pain to flare. Real hard material, wants to split kinda thing. I'll check out the topic.
Blake
 
Top