Royal purple max boost / 96 octane

Goodgollyjosh

Yes, wyosyclone has. He said it worked out really well for him. Allowed him a little more boost and timing. Beyond that, he said the truck runs really well with it. He does 2 bottles per tank full. I'll be trying this method out for myself shortly. It's not cheap though, a case of 12 on amazon ran me $117 shipped. I have wondered if a 55 gallon drum of 100 unleaded might not make more financial sense and just blending with pump gas.

Dan B

Why 2 bottles per tank? I was thinking more like 1/2 a bottle (8oz) to 10 gallons of 93. On the label of the 16 oz bottle it says treats up to 25 gallons hence my thoughts of 1/2 bottle to 10 gallons

Goodgollyjosh

I'm not entirely sure. He only puts 150 miles a year on his truck so i don't think it's a big deal for him. If you have the means to datalog yours with 1/2 a bottle let me know what kind of boost and timing you get out of it before it knocks. With straight 93 I appear to be limited to about 15 pounds and 14 degrees of timing.

Dan B

I don't have a syty currently but maybe soon. I do have a non alky turbo t that I can get 19 lbs out of with a stock intercooler using the rp max boost at 8oz to 10g ratio. Runs good no logs just a scanmaster

Sy2622

I run a similar fuel blend, Amsoil octane booster ($47.00) a case of 6. Use one every other fill up and always fill at a half tank to try and keep a good ratio. 0 knock retard at 19#s of boost on 91 octane fuel.

Goodgollyjosh

Damn, that's pretty good without alky injection. I realize there's a lot of factors that come into play like intake air temps, timing, plug heat range, afr, elevation, etc. But always good to know what other owners are squeezing out of their motors.

neildemo

Administrator
I run 93 octane and e85 even on a stock truck blend about 7 gallons and 3 gallons of e85. Alex From Steve Morris filled me in on this rounds out to about 98 octane. Run 19psi zero Knock and no AFR issues.

Dan B

I run 93 octane and e85 even on a stock truck blend about 7 gallons and 3 gallons of e85. Alex From Steve Morris filled me in on this rounds out to about 98 octane. Run 19psi zero Knock and no AFR issues.
That actually falls in line with the rule of thumb of for 1lb of boost per each octane raised. Stupid question of the day .. how is boost raised to 19#'s on a stock truck?

Goodgollyjosh

I'm surprised the stock injectors didn't max out. What are they like 28 lb/hr? E85 has like 75,000 BTU's per gallon and regular gas like 125,000. You gotta run more fuel through it exponentially as the E85 blend increases. I went through some old posts not too long ago. It looks like a Steve Morris employee had a Sy at one point in time. Is that where the Morris cam grind came from for the 4.3? I heard it loping on a youtube video a while back, that thing sounded rowdy. Would love to get that grind some day even if just for the sound alone.

Sy2622

If my math is correct, the e85 blend is giving about 98 octane fuel. Could you throw some ball park cost for that?

Sy2622

I think an explanation is needed.
The nearest e85 is 30 miles away.
91 octane pump gas is $2.81 a gollon in my area.
So with me using the Amsoil every other fill up I'm looking at $29 a fill up.

WyoSyclone

Yup, I'm using two bottles of Max Boost on top of Shell 92 octane..... This is a spreadsheet I put together when I was doing my research to see what final fuel cost would be per tank. VP fuel is 8 to 12 dollars a gallon here, and we only have one E85 station.

I've got to say, I've never been a fan of octane boosters, but damn, this Royal Purple Max Boost is some pretty amazing stuff. The motor just sounds happier in all types of driving... idle, cruise, highway, WOT. I highly recommend it. The caveat with me is that I only drive my Sy around 100 miles per year, so I'm not dumping a lot of money into fuel.

Attachments

• Octane boost spreadsheet.JPG
    Octane boost spreadsheet.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 8

Dan B

Royal purple has awesome products In my experience.. although many think your a sucker falling for snake oil.. I read somewhere not to go above 2 oz per gallon if that's true you'd be over that pumping anything less than 16 gallons per fill up .. I thi I it also acts as a fuel system cleaner and stabilizer... How would it benefit a stock truck? I'd assume it would make the computer less likely to pull timing

Goodgollyjosh

One of the benefits of using octane boost, 100 unleaded, or leaded race fuel is that the btu's are similar so the afr can stay similar. With E85, the afr is around 9.7 at wot, methanol motor about 5.5, nitromethane motor around 1.5. So injectors max out faster with those other fuels and obviously fuel consumption is higher as well.

Sy2622

Cheers!
That why gasoline gives us the best bang for the buck. (IMO) This is why blending or supplementing with alky/meth gives us the best overall performance under boosted contdions. The hardest part is to find the right balance between cost and reliable performance.
When I was researching what fuel additive to use it was either the Royal Purple or the Amsoil. Everything I have read states they both perform the same it just came down to the cost due to how often I drive the truck.
I have been using Amsoil exclusively for the last 15 years in everything I own. Due to getting a 10% discount on everything purchased with my membership. This simply equates to more time behind the wheel pushing on the skinny pedal.

Dan B

Is this possible with stock injectors & 2bar map?