Suggestions / How to Fix Upper Rear Shock Mount Wanted

Bill Z

Donating Member
My 92 Typhoon daily driver broke the rear upper shock mount. It looked like one side of the post of the upper shock broke and then the other side just flexed the shock mount so much that it broke where the bolt holds the shock to the mount. The piece of the mount still bolted to the shock won’t fit back in the mount. It is too small now. Must have been busted for some time. I must of not noticed it because of using the air conditioner in this 100+ degree weather with the windows rolled up.

Short of making a piece that just fits and welding it in the mount, is there another way? First: I don’t weld very good upside down in cramped spaces, and second, I don’t weld very good at all.

Is there a bolt and go solution I can use? What should I NOT do to fix this problem?
 

Quickstop [UK]

Combating adversyty.
Re: Suggestions / How to Fix Upper Rear Shock Mount Wanted

Sounds like you should NOT try and do a bolt and go solution and get a welder.
 

DynaGlide

Ton-Eighty
Re: Suggestions / How to Fix Upper Rear Shock Mount Wanted

Best way to go about it is getting a piece of sheet steel and welding it in place. Make a template for the steel piece out of cardboard, and then cut your steel and weld it in.

If you don't want to do the welding, you can fab up the steel piece with some tin snips, hammer, and elbow grease, and then take it to a welder to have him/her do it.
 

Daveman2

Autox Blazer
Re: Suggestions / How to Fix Upper Rear Shock Mount Wanted

Best way to go about it is getting a piece of sheet steel and welding it in place. Make a template for the steel piece out of cardboard, and then cut your steel and weld it in.

If you don't want to do the welding, you can fab up the steel piece with some tin snips, hammer, and elbow grease, and then take it to a welder to have him/her do it.
Wise words
 

Bill Z

Donating Member
Re: Suggestions / How to Fix Upper Rear Shock Mount Wanted

Thanks guys. I'll try to find a welding guy. Since the is my daily driver, do you think washers and bolting it in till I get it welded later this week will work? This is a weekend.
 

Daveman2

Autox Blazer
Re: Suggestions / How to Fix Upper Rear Shock Mount Wanted

if you can cut the metal with tin snaps your not using thick enough metal
it's for mock-up, then you take it to a fab shop and they instantly know what you want.

I am doing the same thing with some parts I am going to have cut out of CNC right now, I am making prototypes out of old shitty metal from the old hood from my blazer, but will have them made in SS CNC in much thicker and sturdier gauge.
 

Bill Z

Donating Member
Re: Suggestions / How to Fix Upper Rear Shock Mount Wanted

Daveman2, I knew what you meant.

I figure that since I drove around with the broken shock a while, I can drive around with no shock till I get it welded. Much easer for the welding guy to get to. Only for a week.

If GM would have bolted the shock mount, then it would of been easy. I could of just got a junk yard shock mount and 'TA DA', done (but Noooo).

Thanks again guys. I hear what you are saying. Get it welded.
 

DynaGlide

Ton-Eighty
Re: Suggestions / How to Fix Upper Rear Shock Mount Wanted

if you can cut the metal with tin snaps your not using thick enough metal

I use a handheld pneumatic shear which does the job nicely. I've also used a Metabo tool with a cut-off wheel when I was "fixing" the rear shock tower in my old Buick.
 

Bill Z

Donating Member
Re: Suggestions / How to Fix Upper Rear Shock Mount Wanted

Guys,

I found a sheet metal shop and they fixed it in less than an hour. Their price was $50.00 per hour with 1 hour minimum.

Works great.

Something interesting. They told me that it is a custom with them, for any of their performance customers to do a burn out, for them, as they leave. I told them that I'd try but the AWD sort of prevents that. I did my best launch effort from 3000RPM. Got a little. ;~)

Again, thanks for your advice.
 
Top