Time/money spent keeping a sy/ty running well

CaptainJ

New member
I posted a question a little while ago about this ty. It was $9000 but I should be able to get it down to $7500 or $8000. I want one of these trucks so much its unbelievable. http://autotrader.com/findacar/vdet...&advanced=n&start_year=1983&color=&cardist=13[/url]. I have done some searching about reliability and found that the general thought is that when keeping up on maitnence that it can be fairly reliable. I am 16 and therefore dont have ton of money, i'm on a budget of about $7000 a year but cant spent it all on a ty. I wount be paying for the truck but will pay for most insurance, gas, and maitnence. I don't have a problem at all with doing work on the truck, Its something I would look foward to, although I dont have a garage, but plenty of tools. Would a ty with this much mileage be a waist of money or time. There is 60,000 miles on the engine and 20,000 on the trans along with some other nice goodies I would want to put on. I wouldnt be daily driving it but probably about 100 miles a week. Could you please let me know about how much time and money per month I would be looking at maitnence wise. What do you think about this truck. Would I be better off with something like a gti vr6. Any thoughts much appreciated, thanks.
 

ItsMyTy

Life is beter at 25 PSI
In my opinion, you'd be better off with a stock, lower milage truck.

I've never liked the idea of buying someone else's project truck that's got a ton of mods already. Most of the time you're buying someone else's nightmare... especially this truck with an ATR chip and MSD ignition... two mods most people would never do to these trucks.
 

Syclone#1992

SyTy.net Moderator
With these trucks some require more attention than others. All depends I guess. The previous history has a lot to do with it too. If you plan on beating on it, than it will require more attention. If you are really thinking of buying that truck, I would definately get another board or list member in your area to go look at it too.
 

phoonTy

Truckless. For now.
well, being 16, your highest monthly cost will be insurance. who's your carrier right now? even with my dad's name on my insurance, being 22, and having a perfect driving record, my insurance is still $100/month for full coverage. When I was 18, I had a Corvette, which is in the same insurance class, according to state farm, and it was $120/month, without collision. So if I were you, I'd check into that before you decide to get one.

As for the miles, even though it's low mileage on the engine/tranny, the rest of the truck has high miles. Suspension parts, bushings, etc. all have high mileage, and may need replaced sooner than you think, which will get very pricey. and when you start modding, your reliability, most often, goes down.

don't know how much this helps, just my $0.0321 from what I've learned from owning a Ty for a year. i'm sure someone else will chime in with more input about such a high mileage Ty. Just remember, most often in this world, you get what you pay for. ;)
 
J

jtz

Guest
You are a 16 year old student, right? Well, this is the vehicle for you !

High mileage Typhoons often get 60 mpg(or better) They are exceptionally reliable, too.
In fact, turning up da tunes usually cures any unusual noises.
Also, the reason that GM stopped building them was they never had any problems, warranty issues, etc.

Buy it, and drive the piss out of it.
I mean, it's not like you need to have a budget greater than your mortgage/monthly rent to keep it on the road. Another benefit is that insurance is dirt cheap.

Or, you could SEARCH this site for a little more info, and realize that fun has a price... :wink:
 

CaptainJ

New member
acutally I have done quite a bit of searches and I know that they get 13-15 mpg, can be pricey to maintain and insurance is high. I realize that I'm looking at $1500-2000 a year for insurance and $1000 for gas. I can afford this. The guy has also replace a lot of the moving parts: bushings, joints and other of the sort. He said it has been reliable for him and is selling it because he drives 60 miles a day (highway) and gas is too much for him, not because its a money pit he's stuck in. If you go to the link you will see that the mods are not enough to drastlcally reduce reliability. I asked this question to get some information pertaining to this vehicle, consider I read all post concerning "reliability" and "high mileage"... so 0X . Is there anyone here in the Baltimore Area? Thanks for the help you 3 guys.
 

sy112

New member
Seems like a decent truck but I would definately get the price lower and get someone with a scantool to make a run or two in it before I even got my hopes up. These trucks are great and a ball to own, but upkeep and stuff is a bitch. A lot of people don't realiz how much goes into keeping a limited production vehicle on the road. Parts aren't to bad being as most are interchangable with the sonoma's. But when you break something syty specific, be prepared to pay. And it is not of matter of if you will break something but when you will break something, no matter how easy you plan on treating it now.

I've wanted one since they came of the showroom and have just recently got to where i can really enjoy one and not have all the crap to go with it. I would seriously think about having the parents get you a beater car to drive also or you pony up the dough for one. Makes life a lot less stressful when owning a syty.

good luck. By the way, if you are still at the point where you have to figure up how much gas a syty burns in a year, you're probably not ready to own one. :D :wink:
 

sy1907

SYCOTIC
I bought my sy for what I thought was cheap, thinking I got a steal. It was at the time. But after the drive home, another 1000 miles, shit broke. I've dumped about $1000 in mine in under a year which isn't that much compared to some, and I am still having probs with it. If you can't get the guy down to atleast 7500 or 8000 at the most, pass it by. If all you have to worry about is the gas and insurance, that's a big advantage right there. ITSMYTY said it right, you trust someone else's work on a project vehicle? You learn to love to hate these trucks after a while :D Good luck!
 

Don W.

Stab it and steer it
Yo,

In Dec. I purchased, what I think is, a very nice original Sy with 55k miles. My maint costs so-far, just bringing it up to speed (so-to-speak) are $525.00. (not inc insurance)

You could say I've enjoyed spending the $$. I wish you the same... :)

Enjoy...

Don
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
The truck doesn't sound that bad, IMO. I would have someone who know syty's check it out for you. Just make sure your ready for a syty. I would save $1000 aside initially to go fix any problems with the truck.

BTW The ATR chip and MSD ignition aren't bad mods either (Its not an ken belle/hypertech chip accel super coil)
 

RS25.com

New member
I personally shy away from modified vehicles of any type. You never know what strange problem the owner can't solve and hence why they might be selling it. Unless, of course, it's a reputable member of the board or family.

I have had to replace the ball joints in my truck at 10k miles, which also means tires. Shocks are on the list, and I have a weird suspension problem I can't pin down. Idler arm went out. Someone broke into it and cost me my insurance deductible.

Of course the stereo I had to put in! ;)

Otherwise I have had good luck - knock on wood!

I'd get one, they are a BLAST!
 

DanenGraham

Big in the rear
i bought mine last Aug, ive blown the tranny broken the propshaft and am now rebuilding the motor. I love my truck and will never part with it, unless to get another.

i got it for $8200 with 103K miles, and no problems but the air only worked on high. I then proceeded to drive the living piss out of it and thats where im at now. about 6-7grand late.

you got to pay to play. and im paying a lot.
 

SY2932

Administrator
Most trucks spend a considerable amount of time hovering over our garage floors.

You got that right :roll: http://huryde.station180.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=mikecampbellakaSY2932&id=aao

Welcome to the board :D ! Owning a syty can be a love/hate affair for sure. As far as maintenance goes, be prepared to shell out about $40 every 3,000 miles for oil and a filter. And ANYTIME you get tach flutter, replace the cap, rotor, wires and plugs without question (conditioned response). The unforseen expenses can put the hurt on you if you are thin to begin with. When my trans went (wasn't even racing at the time), it was $600 for the rebuild alone. I removed and replaced it myself and saved a cool $700 in labor costs 8) .

There are many VERY knowledgeable folks on here who will gladly offer you advice or even a helping hand if you ask kindly enough :wink: . However, be forewarned if you ask a question that has been answered a bazillion times or is covered in the "other stuff" on the left of the screen. Don't be surprised if you get no response or sarcasm. HTH's

Mike Campbell
 
Top