to trailer or drive to nationals

BigBadSmoosh

Picking fights on I-65 since 2013
I thought trailering was out of the question because i'd have to rent a trailer..

apparently a co-worker has a car trailer and is willing to lend it to me..

the cost difference is roughly $300

trailering = ~$800-900 round trip in gas
driving ty= ~$500-700 round trip in gas

trailering = piece of mind, if anything breaks i'm covered.. I can bring more stuff to sell (hopefully people buy so I can have some $ to come back with).. if anyone from the northeast breaks they will have a way to get home (yes I will make them pay for gas, its the jew in me)
and I'd get to run my slow ass stock truck down the track a few times at nats.. maybe have someone burn me a decent chip if they are really bored :lol:

driving = requires alot bigger balls and some luck, no racing.. saves money though.


anyone have any opinions, the whole trip is on the credit card anyway... i'm currently pretty broke..
 

J_SULLIVAN

A&P slave monkey
Re: to trailer or drive to nationals

WELL???????? I guess it comes down to what you trust more. Old Blue or the Typhoon?
 

BigBadSmoosh

Picking fights on I-65 since 2013
Re: to trailer or drive to nationals

J_SULLIVAN said:
WELL???????? I guess it comes down to what you trust more. Old Blue or the Typhoon?

wouldn't be ole big blue.. it'd be my bosses 2005 yukon xl with the 8.1L
 

JSM

Active member
Re: to trailer or drive to nationals

I'd trailer so the fear is gone, then drive the hell out of the ty at nats and enjoy yourself.
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: to trailer or drive to nationals

Drive it, what kind of gas mileage does your Typhoon get?

I don't know where you live in realtion to Dennis Kaese, but I came up with $225 in gas each way figuring 18mpg. I can't see it being much more than $500
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: to trailer or drive to nationals

JS Manufacturing said:
I'd trailer so the fear is gone, then drive the hell out of the ty at nats and enjoy yourself.

Eric won't drive the hell out of it. The only good thing would be if someone else granaded their truck. We should be alright since Morgan isn't driving his truck this year to collect his 3rd broken truck award :D
 

BigBadSmoosh

Picking fights on I-65 since 2013
Re: to trailer or drive to nationals

dgoodhue said:
Drive it, what kind of gas mileage does your Typhoon get?

I don't know where you live in realtion to Dennis Kaese, but I came up with $225 in gas each way figuring 18mpg. I can't see it being much more than $500

1260 miles each way.. roughly anyway.. i figured 15-16mpg in the typhoon, 10mpg in the yukon..
 

BigBadSmoosh

Picking fights on I-65 since 2013
Re: to trailer or drive to nationals

dgoodhue said:
Eric won't drive the hell out of it. The only good thing would be if someone else granaded their truck. We should be alright since Morgan isn't driving his truck this year to collect his 3rd broken truck award :D

my truck is slow, so even if i drove the hell out of it, it wouldn't be impressive :)
 

JSM

Active member
Re: to trailer or drive to nationals

dgoodhue said:
Eric won't drive the hell out of it. The only good thing would be if someone else granaded their truck. We should be alright since Morgan isn't driving his truck this year to collect his 3rd broken truck award :D

I am sure I can convince him to hand me the keys.

I just downloaded the secret Robert 8 second chip and want to try it in a typhoon. Honestly it really is just a tune to run that fast.
 

Black Knight

I Glow Therefore I am
Re: to trailer or drive to nationals

As much as I hate to say this, I'd trailer it. I'm up to about $700 in repaires from my 1600 mile round trip to Cali and back and the poor truck still isn't back to were it was before I left.
 

qbnkiller

Conflaguration Specialist
Re: to trailer or drive to nationals

I have struggled with the same question...if I trailer the truck, I can beat it like a red-headed stepchild. But when it is all said and done, I built this truck so I can drive it, so barring any unforseen circumstances, I am driving the Ty. It's a matter of principle.
 

MikeRenz

not stock
Re: to trailer or drive to nationals

Yea i think your $ figures are WAY off.

15mpg...1260 x 2 = 2520miles. Maybe another 100miles once you're there. So 2620 miles....

2620miles / 15mpg = 175 gallons of gas. 175 * $3.25/gallon = $570
 

MikeRenz

not stock
Re: to trailer or drive to nationals

for the yukon...

2520miles / 10mpg = 252 gallons of gas. 252 * $3.15 = $795
100 / 12mpg = 8.333 gallons (beating on ty) 8.333 * $3.25 = $27.00

assuming the yukon doesn't need the better gas.
 

Loeryder

New member
Re: to trailer or drive to nationals

I trailer for peace of mind.

"take it to break it"

Then again its only a 4 hour cruise for me. :tup:
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: to trailer or drive to nationals

MikeRenz said:
Yea i think your $ figures are WAY off.

15mpg...1260 x 2 = 1520miles.

You might want to check the math on that one :) In my long trips I have gotten high 18 to high 19 for fuel economy. I imagine the 100 miles around the hotel, the gas milegae will drop down to the typical 13mpg...
 
Top