Upgrading those brakes...

BrettC

New member
Hey Gang,

I want to improve the brakes on my truck just a few questions regarding this upgrade..


1.) I am currently running stock wheels, if I do the LS1 brake upgrade path, will these be compatible with my stock wheels? and if decide to go with 18's down the road? will I have to upgrade them again?
2.) I read there is a kit I need to purchase to do this upgrade, what exactly would I need to purchase to do the "complete brake overhaul" on my truck? which brand(s) would you recommend and why did you go with those parts?
3.) Is there a better / smarter choice over the LS1? how about the performance on these brakes? also can you explain to me if the abs delete is needed or recommended when this upgrade is done?

Still learning and thanks!

Brett
 

TeeTopZ

Member
Re: Upgrading those brakes...

Stock wheels fit with the LS1 brakes, you could upgrade again with the 18's, but you don't have to.
 

Black Knight

I Glow Therefore I am
Re: Upgrading those brakes...

Hey Gang,

I want to improve the brakes on my truck just a few questions regarding this upgrade..


1.) I am currently running stock wheels, if I do the LS1 brake upgrade path, will these be compatible with my stock wheels? and if decide to go with 18's down the road? will I have to upgrade them again?
2.) I read there is a kit I need to purchase to do this upgrade, what exactly would I need to purchase to do the "complete brake overhaul" on my truck? which brand(s) would you recommend and why did you go with those parts?
3.) Is there a better / smarter choice over the LS1? how about the performance on these brakes? also can you explain to me if the abs delete is needed or recommended when this upgrade is done?

Still learning and thanks!

Brett

First and foremost LS1 doesn't designate anything since the F-body's and C5's both came with an LS1 and their brakes are different, you need to state F-body or C5.

1. F-body brakes are compatible with stock wheels, C5 brakes are not. If you go 18's in the future no you don't "have" to upgrade to bigger brakes, but if it was me I'd wait until then and go for the C5 conversion at a minimum.

2. Yes you will need to purchase a kit that allows you to adapt a different caliper to the spindle. Go to Renz Fab, he should have everything you need. The calipers, pads, and rotors can all be had from any local parts store. You over thinking this, you don't need some special overpriced brand brake parts just get whatever is on special at any parts house. If you want slotted and drilled rotors you can usually find those really cheap online in package deals.

3. Most people delete the ABS because it has been known to have issues from the beginning. There are five SyTy's sitting in our driveway at this very moment and not a single one still has the factory ABS unit or factory front brakes. The decision on what brakes to use should based primarily on cost vs performance. One of the Sy's we have has F-body brakes, one Sy has C5 brakes and one Ty has C6 Z06 brakes. The one with F-body brakes only has them because we wanted to retain factory wheels (I personally would never run F-body brakes on any SyTy that had aftermarket 17" or larger wheels, you have the room, use it). The one with C5 brakes was done because it runs 17" drag radials and those are the largest brakes we could get behind the wheels. The Ty is purely a wow factor setup it has 18's with massive C6 Z06 brakes, they're very heavy and pretty expensive, but they look bad ass.

So bottom line is go with the biggest brakes you can run and afford.:2cents:

If your plan is to run 18's I'd hold out and get C5 brakes.:2cents:
 

sy605

Member
Re: Upgrading those brakes...

First and foremost LS1 doesn't designate anything

It actually does.

Prior to 98 the f body platform used a different braking system. Everyone calls the upgraded brakes LS1 brakes because you need the brake rotors, calipers, and caliper brackets from an LS1 based car 1998--2002.

Just heads up for anyone about to so the swap.
 

Justoyz1

Typhoon #849
Re: Upgrading those brakes...

Are the brakes from.a GTO considered an LS1 upgrade? If so, will I need the mounting brackets from Tens or someone to fit them on my Ty? Who else selling these brackets, I pm Tens, but no response.
 

Black Knight

I Glow Therefore I am
Re: Upgrading those brakes...

It actually does.

Prior to 98 the f body platform used a different braking system. Everyone calls the upgraded brakes LS1 brakes because you need the brake rotors, calipers, and caliper brackets from an LS1 based car 1998--2002.

Just heads up for anyone about to so the swap.

I know that pre 98 used a single piston cast steel caliper. Since I would hope no one would ever be dumb enough to do that F-body to me is still more accurate than saying LS1 which constitutes two very similiar but not identical calipers and two similar but not identical rotors.

Justoyz1 said:
Are the brakes from.a GTO considered an LS1 upgrade? If so, will I need the mounting brackets from Tens or someone to fit them on my Ty? Who else selling these brackets, I pm Tens, but no response.

No, GTO's a completely different rotor. Their pads and calipers are very similiar to Camaro/Corvette but they're not the same. We tried interchanging them with a GTO at the house and they're just off a hair too much. Doesn't mean you can't get them to work, but it will require a different approach.
 

Justoyz1

Typhoon #849
Re: Upgrading those brakes...

Blk Night... Thanks,

So, is there any data on what we can use.. anywhere? It's like it's a hude secret on what currently available. I have searched this folder (suspension/brakes) but no one has published anything infroming members what combination works with what. I have found 6 piston Corvette brakes/rotors but afraid to purchase becasue Renz or the other guy doesn't reply to PM or answer questions. Neither has a phone number listed to contact them...

This is not cool.....
 

Black Knight

I Glow Therefore I am
Re: Upgrading those brakes...

All the info is available, you must be searching the wrong criteria.

What do you want to know?

Bullet point all your questions and i'll answer them later.



Relax on the vendors, they're not Summit and you can't expect them to reply like a big company.
 

Justoyz1

Typhoon #849
Re: Upgrading those brakes...

Blk Night,

I have purchased a set of LS1 style calipers and rotors, but don't have any brackets to mount them on my truck. I was wondering if I could use current model Camaro brakes and rotors on my truck, and what wheel size do I have to run. I only gave 60.00 for the set of LS1 rotors and calipers. I can get the camaros for roughly 20 bucks more.
 

Black Knight

I Glow Therefore I am
Re: Upgrading those brakes...

Blk Night,

I have purchased a set of LS1 style calipers and rotors, but don't have any brackets to mount them on my truck. I was wondering if I could use current model Camaro brakes and rotors on my truck, and what wheel size do I have to run. I only gave 60.00 for the set of LS1 rotors and calipers. I can get the camaros for roughly 20 bucks more.

I'm sorry I'm really confused on what you're asking.

- You purchased a set of LS1 calipers and rotors off of what? See where the confusion begins, be specific, Corvette or Camaro?
-I'm guessing Corvette since you're asking if you can run Camaro stuff?
-Like I said before Camaro fit behind stock wheels, Corvette will not. Your call, I'd buy wheels and run Corvette brakes, but that's just me. :tup:
 
Top