Full frame off resto

Hey guys, been a member for many years but this is my first post.

Purchased my 93 white on white TY approximately in 2001 just outside of Chicago, while still at trade school. Drove for a few years and had a blast. I feel lucky that my truck never really had any serious mechanical problems. New ball joints, inter cooler pump, head/fog lights and daytime running light module (I live in the GTA Ontario Canada area so D.T.R.L are required) was all that was needed to get her road worthy

Was around summer of 05, heading home from the cottage and motor started to make real bad noise. Shut off the ignition and costed to a stop. I figured the oil pump drive pin sheared of the distributor shaft and would be a very costly repair. I had a flat bed take the truck home and park in the garage.

Well, life took over, met my wife, had few kids, moved, started my own shop (Industrial heating and refrigeration) etc. Before you could blink an eye it was 2019, boy has time flew by. I'm not to sure if it was me or my old man but someone came up with the idea (he's an old gear head) "let's take a look and see what's really wrong with the Typhoon" besides, he long retired GM employee and in desperate need of a new project. Our last was 66 full size Chevy PU in the late 90s

Well after sitting in my garage for 14yrs, it finally seen the light of day as I moved the truck from my place to my dads. During storage time, the mice moved in, and the truck smelled like ass. It was bad. Pulled dead ones out, a ton of fuzz, droppings etc. Made the choice to gut the interior. Might need new carpet but everything else ok. Did find the drivers foot well in need of replacement. After sitting for so long and taking stock of what lay ahead, the decision was made, full tear down and rebuild.

labeled everything and took a ton of pictures. I was smart enough to purchase the factory GM manuals for this truck long time ago, so I'm confident I can reassemble without too much hassle. Had a few small parts powder coated, picked up a pair of Vortec heads (113) new fenders, inner fenders, hood, trim, etc. Still looking for corvette/cady/Fbody cal and rotors and tail gate.

Then Covid hit so everything was on the back burner for a few months as Dad almost 70. Started back up working few weekends ago. Truck almost down to just the frame. Only front diff and A-arms left. Ordered the por-15 on the weekend and once it arrives, should have the fame, crossmembers, a-arms and various parts ready for sand blasting. So can't wait to get my baby back together.

BUT, I'm torn on these few issues. Maybe some of you can add your experiences to help me decide.
1. Never liked the white, thinking of changing to dark vette blue (2019 colour) with black or carbon fiber cladding
2. The BS to add the Vortec heads (not looking to go crazy)
3. Stock chip and camshaft of aftermarket or stock
4. Rebuilt stock turbo or slightly larger (stage1) turbo. I will not change from V6 or original intercooler
5. Wheels, love those 18" syclone copy's they have out, are those sill available?

Anyways, soon as I can, I will load pictures of my endeavour from start to were I am now.

Terry

Just waiting for the flat bed. Taking my 93 TY #0229 to Dads garage for full body off complete restoration. Although I didn't know thats what was in store at the time. I was just going to pull the motor for rebuild

Attachments

• 20180817_192410.jpg
    20180817_192410.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 66

Terry

Ok, going to take a ton of time to upload the photos I have. When I figure it out, i will share. Those of you who been down this far, know whats involved. This is her 2 weekends ago. All that's left now is front diff, axles and arms...Couldn't find the pickle so I said fork it for the day.

Attachments

• 20200830_110713.jpg
    20200830_110713.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 86

SVO

GMC Racing
Wow, nice, looks like your going to have tons of fun. Looking forward to seeing your build. I think the color change sounds great. idk about keeping with that airbrushed wave theme, lol.........

2500avalanche

Very nice, I didnt go frame off, but close (just shell). If you need any hints, i can help. Color change is always interesting. If done correct, they look great! Try dropping some of those parts in a vinegar bin for a few days. Non toxic, and a great way to start over on those old bolts/parts.

Terry

Ya the airbrushing, lol. Cant wait for that to be gone. Same with the thing over the front window. The holes drilled into the roof (who does this?) Was the culprit for the rotten driver side floor. I did send some time out in my back yard. A bit hard to see in the picture but the body mount is rotten. You can also see the discoloration on the fame at that spot.

Attachments

• 20180908_111716.jpg
    20180908_111716.jpg
    909.1 KB · Views: 55

Poconojoe

Donating Member
I says yes to the vortec heads, a cam, and the new turbo. You might even consider a converter, depending on the cam and turbo you pick and finish it off with a turbo tweak chip for the tune.

Terry

All very good advice so far. The turbo is kinda a no brainer and the cam is inexpensive to change out also. Thanks for the input guys. Gald to hear there is still those who love these trucks. Gota get this one together and done, got my eyes on a syclone.

Terry

Late in 2019, I picked up a sandblasting cabnet and a parts washer. These two units have proved their worth during this restoration. Both inexpensive and easy to assemble. Yes the blaster requires a large air compressor but every half decent garage should have one anyways. Check out these intercooler pipes. They went from nasty to new in no time at all. For those of you who turn their own wrenches, I highly recommend

Attachments

• 20200910_194457.jpg
    20200910_194457.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 47

DaveP's Ghost

Beware, those intercooler pipes rust-out from the inside. They also can plug-up solid.

If your truck is a code BYC (look at the sticker in the glove box) it is a born-with white-white. I wouldn't change the colors, but it's your truck. One-off custom colors aren't as desirable in the market place as original colors are. At one time the wht-wht's were desirable and easy to sell. I'd think twice about changing the color on an original white-white.

Vortec heads require modifying the lower intake manifold. I've done a few SyTy with L35 heads. These have larger intake ports and are a bolt-on. There are 4 casting numbers, but the 8181 are the most prolific, they can be found on Astro Vans from 1992-1995.

For brakes, consider finding and going to the complete 4 wheel disc setup from a 1998-2002 Blazer/Jimmy 4X4. Front spindels and calipers, complete rear axle assembly, and the 98-02 Master cyl with necessary adaptation to the stock booster. I did this in my 93 Ty and the results have been terriffic. There's a thread on here under "DaveP" "Stock brakes suck", where I chronicled the conversion. No custom brackets, no caliper alignment issues, the stock spare wheel fits over them, the park brake works, and I was in the entire deal less than $750 bucks. I smile everytime I use the brakes. Less pedal effort for the available maximum traction.

I've done several frame-off's, one on a Syclone which I still own. I've resurrected several other SyTy without taking the body off the frame. Lots of work, as you're finding out. These trucks have a high parts-count, and can be fussy to work on, especially if crusty or rusty which it sounds like yours may be. You'll have a nice truck when completed. The closer you remain to stock configuration, the easier, cheaper, and SOONER it will be completed.

Enjoy the time with your dad.

Timbo

SyTy Stalker
I would agree with L35s over Vortecs based on some of the issues I've seen with Vortec conversions.

Terry

What a great idea, stock brakes off a later model blazer. This will be easier and much less expensive. I love the wheels on the truck and upgrading to vette brakes will also require wheels. Thankyou for the tip. As for the heads, I didn't realize the L35 was a direct bolt on. Hence I picked up the vortecs. I figured both required modifactions to fit. I will have to do more homework. I was hoping to get some good advice from this forum. You guys don't disappoint.

DaveP's Ghost

What a great idea, stock brakes off a later model blazer.

Here's a link to the thread I did on my 2nd gen brake conversion. It's been almost 4 years since I began the project, about 3-1/2 since its completion and a little over 20,000 miles. I don't think I've even had the wheels off since then. I used the pads that came from the donor cars, I didn't replace them. The rear pads now occasionally hit the squeakers, but still have an 1/8" or so of material. They'll probably last another couple of years now that my usage of this vehicle has declined.

I'm a 20 year OG on here. I've never seen anyone else go this route for brakes on a SyTy. It's hard to beat a stock parts configuration for cost, ease of installation and maintenance. I don't know why it hasn't been a more popular brake conversion. Probably because it isn't blingy enough. I don't care about bling, I just wanted it to stop better. It's all in the linked thread. Enjoy.

Terry

No work on the truck past weekend, work interfered and thats that. Really looking forward to this one. By the end of day, she be ready for blasting.

True story, at some point, the intercooler pump bracket must have rotted. It was replaced with whats pictured, a piece of.tin cut from an Ontario license plate. I did not make this.(i live in Ontario) Whats the chances?..eh lol

Attachments

• 20180929_003147.jpg
    20180929_003147.jpg
    799.2 KB · Views: 29

Terry

After week of soaking in hot vinegar water and scrubbing many times. Wish it was a better pic

Attachments

• 20181011_185532.jpg
    20181011_185532.jpg
    783.8 KB · Views: 48

Terry

The intercooler was tough to get clean. After rinsing with boiling hot water and soaking in hot dish detergent, it still smelled like the Exxon Valdez. Had to bring out the big guns. Capped the turbo intlet hole, stood upright and poured in the cal-bright. We use this on the dirtiest of dirty grocery store refrigeration equipment. Soak for 5 min, hot rinse and repeat. Did the water side also.

Attachments

• 20180927_213248.jpg
    20180927_213248.jpg
    927.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20180927_213243.jpg
    20180927_213243.jpg
    997.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 20180927_213231.jpg
    20180927_213231.jpg
    703.4 KB · Views: 33

Terry

Dare I say its clean. This took 2 weeks of cleaning, scrubbing, few days soaking in various liquids. This is the end of its last over night soak to rinse any and all chemical residues off. Once dried, it smelled like, metal.

Attachments

• 20180924_192434.jpg
    20180924_192434.jpg
    750.5 KB · Views: 48