Truck won't start

Sy-1177

Turbo Inside
Re: Truck won't start

mandingo said:
Crappy or tainted gas? Just a thought
The gas should be ok, maybe not the greatest, but decent. I just swapped out distributors, same results! I double checked for spark again too, and its definately there. Anymore ideas??
 

Don W.

Stab it and steer it
Re: Truck won't start

OK, fresh plugs might help. However on start-up if you hold the throttle full down it puts the ECM into "flood" mode and stops firing the injs. Have you tried that? Failing that pull the connector at the TPS and see what happens. Drop the ECM and reset all the connectors. Check TDC, #1 on compression then double check timing. However if timing is off you should be getting something.:2cents:
 

Sy-1177

Turbo Inside
Re: Truck won't start

Don W. said:
OK, fresh plugs might help. However on start-up if you hold the throttle full down it puts the ECM into "flood" mode and stops firing the injs. Have you tried that? Failing that pull the connector at the TPS and see what happens. Drop the ECM and reset all the connectors. Check TDC, #1 on compression then double check timing. However if timing is off you should be getting something.:2cents:
Just pulled the TPS plug and same results. I physically swapped ECM's before too with the Sy.. totally different chip and all and same results.
 

Don W.

Stab it and steer it
Re: Truck won't start

I'm running out of answers. But what happens if you have a plugged fuel return line? Can the injs hold whatever fuel pressure would result? Put a gauge on it just for the heck of it.
 

Sy-1177

Turbo Inside
Re: Truck won't start

Don W. said:
I'm running out of answers. But what happens if you have a plugged fuel return line? Can the injs hold whatever fuel pressure would result? Put a gauge on it just for the heck of it.
You know, someone else mentioned the return line too. I have a guage mounted on the fuel rail and it reads about 50lbs when I check on it after cranking it over, then it gradually drops down to about 20 lbs after about 5-10 minutes.... is that normal?
 

Sy-1177

Turbo Inside
Re: Truck won't start

TYTILIDIE said:
So you did swap IGN MODS with the new dist?
Yeah, I bought the new ing mod for the old distributor; then swaped the new mod to the other distributor I had and threw it in, same results. It sure sounds like it wants to fire, but it just doesn't.

Edit: Well after multiple cap/wire removals I think the firing order was off during my recent tests. So tomorrow i'll be checking for TDC and go from there. Reason being is I found the firing order on whitetyphoon.com and noticed the cap in the picture was rotated one plug off on top from where mine was set. So basically where there 1 o'clock position was, mine was at 12 o'clock. It still doesn't explain why it just started doing this all of the sudden, but it may work with my recent new parts once the firing order is correct.
 
Last edited:

supersports10

New member
Re: Truck won't start

pull all plugs clean them off, turn over motor 20-30 revolutions, with the plugs out.

(get's rid of all of the unburnt gas.) reinstall plugs.

inturrupt (sp) power to the fuel pump. there usually is a quick connector located by the fuel tank.

try to start. it should fire then die. then reconnect fp quick connect and is should fire.

hope this helps.
 

Sy-1177

Turbo Inside
Re: Truck won't start

Ok, I got my TDC all set and cap /wires back on. It spins over really nice and wants to fire, but its basically the same as before. WTF am I doing wrong here??? :rant: I really do appreciate all your guy's input here though, without ya'll i'd have taken this piece of shit to the bone yard already! :rotf:
 

mandingo

She's an Alcoholic
Re: Truck won't start

Mash the gas pedal to the floor and hold it, crank the engine, if its flooded that should get it to start up? Did you piss off an ex girlfriend and she decided to put sugar in your tank :evil:
 

Don W.

Stab it and steer it
Re: Truck won't start

Did you try the "hold the accelerator pedal full down while cranking" trick?

You mentioned 50# fuel pressure. That's allot. "Stock" with engine off is 35-38. This is tested by attaching a gauge (sorry) turning on the key (pump runs for 2 secs) then this pressure should hold.
 

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD
Re: Truck won't start

Sy-1177 said:
Ok, I got my TDC all set and cap /wires back on. It spins over really nice and wants to fire, but its basically the same as before. WTF am I doing wrong here??? :rant: I really do appreciate all your guy's input here though, without ya'll i'd have taken this piece of shit to the bone yard already! :rotf:

I know you swapped ECM's but maybe both were bad?
 

ty166

Donating Member
Re: Truck won't start

how about swappin out the plugs and giving it a quick shot of starting fluid down the throttle body, thats what i usually use to point me in the direction of a spark or fuel problem.
 

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD
Re: Truck won't start

You know Brian, if it comes down to it, you may have to do yourself some voltage testing. I can give you the steps if you need them.
 

Sy-1177

Turbo Inside
Re: Truck won't start

Yeah, I tried "flooring" it when I was cranking it over, no luck. The ECM I swapped into it was out of the Sy which runs fine. (well maybe not fine, but ok I guess :lol: ) I haven't tried plugging the return line yet; and I thought the 50 lbs was normal when priming the system.. maybe i'm wrong there? It is sort of weird that the pressure drops though after a few minutes of letting it sit.. not sure if thats normal or not. To me, it really does seem like an electrical problem/sensor problem. I have a buddy comming by today with a scan tool that goes through each of the engine's sensors so i'm hoping it will pickup whatever is causing this. I'll be sure to let you guys know how that goes later today!
 

sy2207

Donating Member
Re: Truck won't start

Did you ever figure this problem out? My truck is behaving in almost the same way. It is as though I have very weak spark. It will start unless I have the battery charger hooked which ups the voltage to about 15 volts. Even then it barely wants to run. I can coax it into running smoothly but it wants to backfire if it is given any kind of load.
 

SY2455

70's Veteran
Re: Truck won't start

Did you check the oil pressure sending unit?:dunno: As the ECM looks for pressure before startup.
 

tyRod

New member
Re: Truck won't start

Holy cow! My Sy has the exact same problem....It has been down for over a year.
Please let us know if you fix it.
 

sy2207

Donating Member
Re: Truck won't start

Wierd, this problem seems more common than I thought. My truck has been sitting for some time too. It used to start up great the first couple of years just idling in the garage but the last year or so it has barely wanted to fire up. Maybe this problem is inherent to vehicles that have sat :dunno:
 
Top