SY 2373 Ramblings

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: vortec swap

Re: vortec swap

Yesterday afternoon, I recovered my underhood insulation with fiberglass screen. It was pretty messed up from past thrown belts and general age. Does it look perfect?, no, but it looks much better. Will be installing tommorrw when I get new fastners. Here is link to site that explains how to do it. I spray painted mine flat black.

http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/documents/tech/hoodInsulationRepair.pdf
 

Attachments

  • hood ins1.jpg
    hood ins1.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 2

Sy#2373

New member
Re: vortec swap

Re: vortec swap

My old truck is looking nice Randy. Glad to see somebody ended up with it that wants to have fun with it. Keep working on her.
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: vortec swap

Re: vortec swap

My old truck is looking nice Randy. Glad to see somebody ended up with it that wants to have fun with it. Keep working on her.

Hey Tim, thanks. We I took it to the FAST meet in MIA a couple of weeks ago, a lot of the guys kicked themselves for not buying it when they had the chance. Just about to get all the final bugs worked out and do some final (I hope) tuning on a chassis dyno on Monday with Alex (qbnkiller). Next up are hood struts and hood vents on an old hood that I got from a junkyard. Keep your eyes peeled for pics in the future.
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: vortec swap

Re: vortec swap

Latest pic of motor with engine bay somewhat cleaned up and shined up. Repainting radiator support is on to do list. Just got new radiator and washer fluid bottles.
 

Attachments

  • 2012-02-25 motor.jpg
    2012-02-25 motor.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: vortec swap

Re: vortec swap

Latest dyno run. Somthing did not feel right, and when I got home, I checked the base timing. Turns out it was off by 4 or 5 degrees or more. When I put the advance adjustable timing gun on the truck, it showed 26 degrees of advance at ilde, while the computer was calling for 36 degrees. I adjusted the base timing and the truck runs much better. Maybe I will put it back on the dyno one day to see what the new numbers are, but Alex did dial in the AFR just right, and the timing curve is great also. My stupidity for not having the base timing correct to get good dyno numbers. Max rpm was 5000. This was a Mustang AWD dyno.
 

Attachments

  • rmerrittmph.jpg
    rmerrittmph.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1

qbnkiller

Conflaguration Specialist
Re: vortec swap

Re: vortec swap

Good job Randy! The lack of timing makes a HUGE difference! I am sure you will be happy with where you are at now!
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: vortec swap

Re: vortec swap

hood vent concept. buddy up the road is an excellent body man. decided not to go with the Z34 vents and do something a little different. Expanded metal will be installed on the underside, and he took body seam rod and made a nice rounded edge on cut out part. Also pic of 16hp V twin barstool we have been working on.

enjoy
 
Last edited:

MRKING

New Parts for Old Trucks
Re: vortec swap

Re: vortec swap

Looking good Randy . Might need wheelie bars for the barstool when alcohol is involved .lol
 

NJSERRANO

New member

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: vortec swap

Re: vortec swap

close up of hood vent idea. still in primer with sanding lines to make sure hood is flat. will be painting the stainless expanded metal black. all three edges are rounded, but top of triangle has a larger radius. lighter line on the bottom is the tape holding the metal in place to get a look at it. I didn't like the idea of cutting the hood supports to fit the Z34 vents.
 
Last edited:

randy merritt

Donating Member
SY 2373 Ramblings

Mods, could you change the thread title to "SY 2373 Ramblings"? Thank you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

Pics of painted hood (off old s-10, kept my original). Hood vents turned out good and I am very pleased. Wanted to do something different, but someone has probably already done this to a sy/ty hood. pics of underside show how well they are blended into the hood. The underside of the hood and vents have a very nice paint job, but the reflections make it look like the metal grids aren't painted. Also pic of repainted core support with new emissions stickers. You can see a "before" picture of my core support earlier in this thread. You can also kinda see the hood struts I installed with the new/old hood. Criticize away.
100_2613.jpg
[/IMG]
100_2614.jpg
[/IMG]
100_2615.jpg
[/IMG]
100_2617.jpg
[/IMG]
 

canadian

sy in progress
Re: vortec swap

Re: vortec swap

Latest pic of motor with engine bay somewhat cleaned up and shined up. Repainting radiator support is on to do list. Just got new radiator and washer fluid bottles.

Did you get them from GM or from LMC Truck? Looking to replace mine.
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: vortec swap

Re: vortec swap

Dyno day at the local hot rod shop tomorrow. I disconnected the front drive shaft just for shits and giggles. I will post results later
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: vortec swap

Re: vortec swap

Dyno day at the local hot rod shop tomorrow. I disconnected the front drive shaft just for shits and giggles. I will post results later

If anyone is still listening, it ran 392 HP and 440 TQ rwd at 20 psi. It seemed to sluff off a little above 4800 rpm (only reved it to 5000 rpm). Time to crank up the boost a little.;)
 
Top