SY 2373 Ramblings

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

Got my 1991 USA Today Syclone ad hung in the garage. Thanks SY-2520 for the info on how to get one.
100_2711.jpg
[/IMG]
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

I just swapped out my gas struts from my prop rod elimination kit from philntx with 22" struts off of ebay (C16-14257), $26 shipped, per a post from a board member. They look great and raise the hood about 2" higher than the stock prop rod. Hood seems to open and close fine, and it gives a lot more room to work under the hood.

100_2746.jpg
[/IMG]
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

How do they compare with the stock rod though?

I know, I should have taken a before/after pic, but I was to lazy. They are about 2" longer that the stock ones from phil. Given the angle of the hood, if take a wag at 45 degrees, it seem to raise it at least 4-5 inches higher than the stock struts.

Update: I just measured by lowering the hood to match the stock strut length, and these struts raise the end of the hood approximatly 7" higher compared to the stock struts. I didn't realize it was that much of a difference.
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

OK, Mark, just for you I went the extra mile. Kid in pic is not mine, just here visiting.

Before, using the stock strut as a reference:

100_2747.jpg
[/IMG]

After:

100_2748.jpg
[/IMG]
 

Quickstop [UK]

Combating adversyty.
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

That is an extra mile! :D

I meant compared to the stock strut on the front. Thanks for posting this up - I reverted to the stock rod because the struts just weren't long enough and this looks awesome. Your engine looks clean as well. Nice work!

:tup:
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

Extra, extra mile for the man across the pond. Here is a pic of stock prop rod held in stock location with the hood raised with the new struts. The difference in the hood raised height can be seen.

100_2749.jpg
[/IMG]
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

Just bought myself a set - cheers Randy! BTW - you get my PM re the trans?

Yes I did, and thanks. I am such a girl that I can't make up my mind which way to proceed. My next step is to read a 700r4 manual that I bought, cover to cover. I am going to try to find a way to make my trans hold up to the power I am putting down. I know from reasearch that the 700r4 can survive into the 10's and still be reliable, I just have to figure out what I need to do to make that happen. I think I have read every 700r4 build post on the net.
 

Quickstop [UK]

Combating adversyty.
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

You're wecome.Your first 700r4 build may not last so assuming you build 2 or 3, you've covered the cost of the 80e and more.

Add in the functionality that you get with the 80e and it's a no brainer in my book, hence my purchase. That said, a lucky few do have some stout 700r4s but like I said, I think you want to go faster. An 80e seems inevitable in that case so you'd merely be getting to the same place via a more difficult route :D

I still haven't seen any track videos!

:tup:
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

I will give up on the next failure. Only one failure so far, and that was a stock trans. I hate to give up my recently rebuilt $900 PI torque converter, though. If you have not figured it out by now, I am just a shade on the cheap side.:D
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

Here is my latest chassis dyno chart from 7-16-12. This pull was from a 60 mph steady state (about 2800 rpm) in third gear, then I went WOT up to about 110 or so mph (5000 rpm). It took a while for the boost to build to max with the TC locked, given the way that I punched it from less than zero boost at 60 mph. Not a pretty graph, but here it is. TC was manually locked, and I could feel a "surge" a couple of times during the pull.


This is the graph that concerns me, Dave. See how the power drops and then returns. I could feel something slipping. Not a smooth curve.
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

Is that rear-only (prop shaft removed), or AWD?


You're making a lot of torque. The way the planetary is set up in the T-case, the V-clutch has to hold 33% of the total torque being produced, and transfer it to the rear output. 33% of a lot is a lot. The V-clutch may be slipping.

Have you checked the color of the lube in the T-case since these runs? If it's black, or shiny-black, it's contaminated with the silicon fluid from the clutch. Perhaps forced out by the heat of the slipping clutch.

Something else to worry about. Sorry. But I'm probably all-wrong anyway.

AWD. Last time T-case was checked was at local quick lube. I did not look at the fluid, but I will check it.
 

qbnkiller

Conflaguration Specialist
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

The more I look at this, the more I suspect that converter is not liking locking up with that power. I cant tell you precisely, but that is what I am leaning towards.
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

Thanks for you input Alex. I talked to PI today, and I think I really need to check my line pressures. PI told me that if I had low line pressure, my TC would brake stall higher than the advertised stall. My advertised stall is 2800 and I was able to brake stall at 3000 and 10psi off the line. My 60' times were ok (1.7), but it should have hit harder. I have lots of back and forth with Dave, and the best thing I can figure is low line pressure. I will post results when I have the line pressure tested.
 
Top