SY 2373 Ramblings

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

Today I picked up my bracket/cover I had made to hold my Taurus fan in place, as well as cover up the radiator as I do not have an upper fan shroud. The bracket has a tab welded to it that matches up to the plastic tab on the top of the Taurus fan. The bottom of the fan is simply wedged in between the lower fan shroud and the radiator. When it is all bolted up, it is very sturdy, and can be removed in under a minute. I have entertained the idea of having something airbrushed on the piece,or maybe a sticker of some sort, but I think that may be taking it a little to far.

View without bracket/cover

100_2750.jpg
[/IMG]

view of uninstalled bracket/cover (very nice gloss black paint job)

100_2751.jpg
[/IMG]
100_2752.jpg
[/IMG]

View of plastic tab on fan

100_2753.jpg
[/IMG]

Installed

100_2754.jpg
[/IMG]
100_2755.jpg
[/IMG]
 

bezerk

New member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

i've just seen your dyno sheets as well, and makes me wonder. what is our speed suposed to be on the dash at 5K rpm in overdrive (|highest gear and locked up).

i'm suspecting mine doesn't lock up as well, WOT
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

i've just seen your dyno sheets as well, and makes me wonder. what is our speed suposed to be on the dash at 5K rpm in overdrive (|highest gear and locked up).

i'm suspecting mine doesn't lock up as well, WOT

At 4900 rpm in third gear (1:1) ratio, I was running 95 mph. I would assume with a .70 gear ratio in OD the speed at the same 4900 rpm should be 95/.70, which is 135 mph. I could be wrong, but seems like the math should work.
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

Few pics of the barstool my buddy is finishing up on. 16 hp Briggs, and the frame was bought for $50. He is a pretty good fabricator / paint and body man.

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo5.jpg


Enjoy
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

At my buddie's house/shop today and was working on the $400 '95 bird that I am making/restoring for my middle girl. I thought I would post a few pics since I don't have anything to report about the Sy, as it is running great:

primer1-1.jpg



Going slick black, jams done today.

jam1.jpg


Couple of pics of his '67. The guy does this for a living, and is pretty good. 396 BB:

camero2.jpg


camero1.jpg
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

Here are a couple of pic of a joke/admiration trophy we made for a local "hot rod builder" that we like to mess with. His name is Walt, and he drinks lots of beer and smokes non filtered Camels.

walt1.jpg


Note the beer in one hand and the other hand ready to receive a burning cig. Both hands are made of wrenches.

walt3.jpg


The base is a clutch and pressure plate. (Here it is sitting on a barstool for painting purposes).

walt2.jpg


This trophy easily weighs 150 pounds. Big fun.
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

This is one of my latest projects. I just finished installing the exterior trim after it was repainted at my buddy's shop. This is a '95 bird that I bought for $400 that I am fixing up for my middle daughter to drive in a couple of months. She wanted the car black or red, so she got black:

Before:

100_2759.jpg

100_2758.jpg

100_2764.jpg


After, with a little lowering and shaving off all emblems and mouldings and redyeing the interior. Project is still not done. Please forgive me for posting a Ford:

100_2891.jpg

100_2890.jpg

100_2792.jpg

100_2894.jpg

100_2892.jpg
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

Couple of pics of new/used 2008 model Bend Pack 10,000 lift that I finished installing yesterday. This is something that I have always wanted. It just barely fit, maybe a 1/4" of clearance, but it made it. I paid $1500 for it and it looks like new money: :tup:

100_2919_zpsc8d5e21e.jpg


100_2920_zpsf5430240.jpg
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

I made a post earlier about inner fenders, so I thought I would throw up a couple of pics of my inner fenders that I painted with BC/CC not to long ago. The reflections make them look worse than they are, they do look great. I also painted the intake tube.
100_2950_zpsf3a872bc.jpg

100_2951_zps35e0207c.jpg

100_2952_zpsf803c658.jpg
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

Please forgive my spelling, my spell check is not installed on this computer.

Hell, while I am in the posting mood, here are my latest chassis dyno results from last saturday at a "dyno day" close to me:

closed exhaust AWD hp (TC unlocked) = 330
open exhaust AWD hp (TC unlocked) = 370
open exhaust AWD hp (TC locked) = 399

AWD TQ was around 540 or so on best pull.

Interisting that I pulled 420 hp at all wheels with TC locked last year, but that was with closed exhaust. The truck was sputtering with the TC locked and open exhaust. I guess the tune is going into "uncharted" areas with the exhaust open and TC locked. The biggest thing I learned is that the truck picked up 40 hp by simply opening the exhaust cut out. I would still call it 600 hp at the crank, and it is still a good driver, A/C and all.
 
Top