SY 2373 Ramblings

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

Today, in what I would like to think of as my personal best in levels of boredom, I repainted my calipers:
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

Not that anyone cares anymore, but today I rewired my fan controller (Delta Current Control) so that the Taurus fan I have installed kicks into high gear as soon as the A/C is turned on. I am really getting tired of the running warm issue in traffic, but I guess that is the price to pay for the front mount intercooler. Guess I just wont't drive the truck in traffic with the A/C on.
 

QuinnSY

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

I've been following also. I just havent been posting a ton. I have been meaning to update my build thread also.
 

Quickstop [UK]

Combating adversyty.
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

I for one care a great deal - I should be getting the same out of my truck as you :D

Have you got any DM runs from a standstill or perhaps a boost launch you could share/post? I'd like to see how your TC compares with mine as I think mine is pretty loose - not sure if you saw my posts on the subject..

Must be fun to drive!

Interesting re the cutout. One day perhaps! :tup:
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

I for one care a great deal - I should be getting the same out of my truck as you :D

Have you got any DM runs from a standstill or perhaps a boost launch you could share/post? I'd like to see how your TC compares with mine as I think mine is pretty loose - not sure if you saw my posts on the subject..

Must be fun to drive!

Interesting re the cutout. One day perhaps! :tup:

I have searched high and low for the little laptop that I used for DM, but with no luck. I have several good Tuner Pro files I could send, however. Let me know.
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

I scored a set of LS rear brake parts from a 2000 camaro at pick and pull a couple of days ago. I will prob. do the rear brake swap soon.
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

For your viewing pleasure, and it is still raining here in N. Fla and I am bored:

view of sticker on back of truck. Question was asked "who are you going to punish?". Answer: those who talk shit.



I figured I would be a sport and put a sticker on the back of the river boat also. Same reason.



New carpet in the boat.



LS rear brake parts. No, the shop cat is not dead, just sleeping.

 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

The latest drama: Cylinder #1 has only 125 psi on compression check. All the others (except #6 which I did not check because of the annoying down pipe in the way) were right at 160 psi. I put about 3 tablespoons of oil in #1 and it made no difference. This leads me to believe I have a problem with the heads. The motor has no blow by at all. The truck still runs good, and does not smoke. I guess I will be pulling the driver side head soon for a check out. Any thoughts are welcome.
 

Quickstop [UK]

Combating adversyty.
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

No blow by? Presumably you checked no bubbles in the radiator as well?

Is it worth resetting the lash on #1? Maybe the valve loosened a bit? Easy enough to try before pulling the head.

Did you have the valves enlarged?

Sorry mate :(
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

No blow by? Presumably you checked no bubbles in the radiator as well?

Is it worth resetting the lash on #1? Maybe the valve loosened a bit? Easy enough to try before pulling the head.

Did you have the valves enlarged?

Sorry mate :(
I haven't checked for bubbles, but I will. I suspect that this condition has been here for some time, as I have never checked the compression since my last rebuild. The heads were used, and I just asked the machine guys to see if the valves sealed good, and they told me that they did. I am just proud that it is not the pistons. I can handle a head removal in a couple of hours. The truck still drives just fine, so I will wait untill I can get the machine shop and parts lined up before I pull the head.
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

I just put air pressure on the #1 cyl. at TDC, and you can clearly hear the air leaking from the exhaust. Guess I either burnt a valve, or there is carbon build up on the seat. Would it be worth a shot to run some type of cleaner through the motor, or should I just plan on pulling the head?
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

Well, fellas, I sprayed my magic substance down the throttle body with the engine running, then retested the cylinder compression on the #1 cylinder. It rose from 125 to 145 confirming that it is most likely carbon buildup on the valve seals causing the leak. I am going to try some more of the substance to see if I can improve the compression even more. The substance???

Tap Water. Thank you.
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

Little more water (about close to a gallon total), and I am up to 152 psi. The truck even seems to idle better. I think I am going to do this on a routine basis, maybe twice a year. I am happy, and that water was a lot cheaper and easier than pulling the heads.

Randy
 

Black Knight

I Glow Therefore I am
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

Well, fellas, I sprayed my magic substance down the throttle body with the engine running, then retested the cylinder compression on the #1 cylinder. It rose from 125 to 145 confirming that it is most likely carbon buildup on the valve seals causing the leak. I am going to try some more of the substance to see if I can improve the compression even more. The substance???

Tap Water. Thank you.

Please explain, did you simply use a squirt bottle?
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: SY 2373 Ramblings

Please explain, did you simply use a squirt bottle?

I started with a glass cleaner sprayer, and then ended with a small pump up handheld sprayer. I would just spray a little water into the throttle body until the truck stumbled a little, then let the truck recover, then repeat.
 
Top